Best of Tim Burton

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.

Best of Tim Burton

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
8%
Beetlejuice
8%
Batman
3%
Edward Scissorhands
11%
Batman Returns
8%
Ed Wood
50%
Mars Attacks!
3%
Sleepy Hollow
3%
Big Fish
6%
Corpse Bride
No votes

Total votes: 36

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Wow... I never realized that I've seen all of his movies until just now.

01. Ed Wood (1994) ****
02. Edward Scissorhands (1990) *** 1/2
03. Batman (1989) *** 1/2
04. Batman Returns (1992) ***
05. Beetlejuice (1988) ***
06. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) ***
07. Sleepy Hollow (1999) ** 1/2
08. Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985) ** 1/2
09. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) ** 1/2
10. Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (2005) ** 1/2
11. Big Fish (2003) **
12. Mars Attacks! (1996) * 1/2
13. Planet of the Apes (2001) *

And the movies he's produced but not directed...

01. Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) ***
02. James and the Giant Peach (1996) ** 1/2
03. Batman Forever (1995) ** 1/2
04. Cabin Boy (1994) BOMB

Edited By MovieWes on 1199907059
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

jack wrote:I've given the sole vote to Sleepy Hollow. Why? Because it was a perfectly made film (if you have no prior knowledge of the original story - for which I have none).

I loved it.

Ed Wood is a good movie, but no match on Sleepy Hollow in my own opinion.

I watch it every year for Halloween, along with Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense.

Edited By criddic3 on 1197535651
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Oh, 'Ed Wood'...dear sweet 'Ed Wood'.

'Edward Scissorhands' has lovely moments and a ridiculously beautiful score that turns me into a blubbering man child. Despite its flaws, a rather beautiful creation.
"How's the despair?"
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I love Tim Burton while I find most of his films to be quite flawed. Ed Wood is a lovely, charming movie, with one fatal flaw – the casting of Johnny Depp, who is indeed very appealing and persuasive in it, but it totally striped EW of any real substance it might have had it attempted to figure out the enigmatic, complex, disturbed man Wood probably was, instead of lazily relying on Depp's boyish charm (as Burton too often does) to do the dirty job of making him approachable.

I went with Edward Scissorhands, a perfectly sweet fable (and the one in which Depp, for once, was perfectly cast).
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

flipp525 wrote:Ed Wood, without a doubt. I love Batman Returns as well. It was the last good one before the franchise started tanking hardcore.
I agree Flipp. In fact it's my favorite of the Batman films, including the overrated (and ugly) recent outing with Chris Bale and Scientology Skank.

I also like Ed Wood and Beetlejuice, Big Fish has its merits, and Jack you are not alone in appreciating Sleepy Hollow. I'm actually also looking forward to Sweeney Todd.

Ed Wood is probably the superior film, but my heart belongs to Beetlejuice. Which hey, come to think of it, is probably the criteria Academy members use for voting all the time ("I know Goodfellas is better and all, but man that Dances With Wolves just made me feel sump'n") In which case, I will reject their lousy criteria and vote for Ed Wood.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I've given the sole vote to Sleepy Hollow. Why? Because it was a perfectly made film (if you have no prior knowledge of the original story - for which I have none).

I loved it.

Ed Wood is a good movie, but no match on Sleepy Hollow in my own opinion.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

An idea ripped off from the makers of THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE, clearly.

Edited By rain Bard on 1197423657
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

atomicage wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:although I have a soft spot for Mars Attacks!

It's funny how many people I've spoken with who hate it, without realizing that its meant to be a homage to the genre.
and based on trading cards
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

FilmFan720 wrote:although I have a soft spot for Mars Attacks!
It's funny how many people I've spoken with who hate it, without realizing that its meant to be a homage to the genre.

Ed Wood. No reservations. Though I really admire Big Fish.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I'd say Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish are his best films. The Academy could have nominated him for any of those and I would have been very happy. Of course, they didn't, so hopefully Sweeney Todd will be good enough.

I haven't seen a Burton film that was completely unworthy of being seen or enjoyed on some level. Even Mars Attacks! is fun some of the time. He really stretches patience, though, when he tries to remake older movies like Planet of the Apes or Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. Visually unique they may be, but unnecessary and ultimately inferior to their originals.

Edited By criddic3 on 1197338684
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

UHHH! That´s a hard one. Ed Wood, Undoubtedly, followed by that big masterpiece Big Fish.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm with rudeboy on Pee Wee - tried to watch it but couldn't take more than a few minutes of it.

I forgot how much I liked Beetlejuice when I first saw it, but to me it was a film that showed great promise for its director rather than being a great film in own right, which is why I suppose I've found all his subsequnet work, save for Ed Wood, so disappointing. Except for that one film, he's failed to fulfill that early promise.

Mars Attacks!, Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish all have their moments but don't add up to much. His remake of Planet of the Apes is one of the worst movies ever made. It's amazing that that fiasco didn't end his career.

I have zero interest in ever seeing Chalrie and the Chocolate Factory.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

1. Pee Wee's Big Adventure
2. Edward Scissorhands
3. Ed Wood
4. Batman Returns
5. Sleepy Hollow
6. Batman
7. Corpse Bride
8. Mars Attacks
9. Big Fish
9. Beetlejuice
10. Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

11. Planet of the Apes

Edited By paperboy on 1195658745
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

rain Bard wrote:PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE holds up the best on repeated viewings.
You know, I tried watching Pee Wee once and detested that character so much from the off that I don't think I gave it more than fifteen minutes or so. But quite a lot of people seem to love this movie - I must be missing something.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE holds up the best on repeated viewings. The two ED films run second.

Return to “The People”