Best Original Song

1998 through 2007
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

I told you guys this would happen. Beyonce's exclusion from the cliched Listen, along with the other 2 DG nominees for Best Song, severely hurt its chances. With no big name attached to Listen, Melissa Etheridge by default won as I predicted since she was the most famous nominee. Brokeback's anti-gay fiasco from last year also helped the rocker win so that the Academy could prove they are pro-gay. However, if Prince would've made it in I believe he would've been the one to benefit moreso than Etheridge.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Tree18
Graduate

Post by Tree18 »

rockers or rappers now seem to be the trend.
Dennis Bee
Graduate

Post by Dennis Bee »

They've always been suckers for rock stars--Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Springsteen. Look at this as in that line.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

dws i agree
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

dylanfan23 wrote:But you stand up and say that a great song lost tonight...there weren't any this year.
The best original songs were all either ineligible for one reason or another, or not nominated.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This actually continues a trend...not since Evita has a musical won this award.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Tree18
Graduate

Post by Tree18 »

Well at this point of the night, I really can not think of something upsetting another award that I would think it would upend this as the worst award. So it is the worst of the night. I would even take Meryl Streep or Penelope Cruz winning and call it not as bad as this.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Good point rolo. There's still, "And the Oscar for Best Picture goes to Babel/Little Miss Sunshine" to loook forward to.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Good to see that the Oscars are opening up like the Tony's. A kiss followed by, ''I want to thank my wife and her 4 kids''! Is it the norm to wear male attire though?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

rolotomasi99 wrote:would people stop saying "the worst award of the night!" we still have so many to go.
I know, isn't it funny! Just wait until we get to Best Picture--if it's Blabble or Little Miss Sunshine, there's gonna be vomiting all over the place.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

It wasn't a bad song, it was pretty good, they were all pretty good, no great songs this year unfortunately....well patience was a good song. But you can't stand up and say that a great song lost tonight...there weren't any this year.
Tree18
Graduate

Post by Tree18 »

Yeah I was Love You I Do fan, though I thought Listen was going to win.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

would people stop saying "the worst award of the night!" we still have so many to go. melissa thanked her wife. i am so proud!
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

How disappointing. Every song nominated was better than that tripe...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Dennis Bee
Graduate

Post by Dennis Bee »

Well, folks, the Dreamgirls meltdown that began Oscar morning is now complete.

I was hoping for #2 for Randy Newman

Return to “The 8th Decade”