Ennio Morricone Tribute

1998 through 2007
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Am I the only one who felt that, having the Academy orchestra play Morricone's themes wasn't always the best way to showcase them? A big part of Morricone's innovation, though perhaps less and less as his career progressed, was the thought he put into the way they would be recorded. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Days of Heaven in particular depend on a very particular sound to make their full impact, and the orchestra really blanded them out. That was my reaction after a single listen, anyway.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Oh! what a tribute guys! It was so emotional. And his speech, his music. I felt nostalgic for all those magnificent scores that were part of differents moments in my life. Of course, I don´t feel embarrased to say that I was crying when he was accepting the award.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

dws1982 wrote:Celine Dion wasn't as dreadful as I thought she'd be. Still, the whole thing would've been better without the song.
Ditto.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Dennis Bee wrote:He does not know Italian, unless he learned it since the Leone films.
He doesn't speak Italian well - though of course he lived in Italy for a long time in the past. He can probably understand it vaguely, but the translation wasn't very subtle - he completely missed Morricone's bit about "music and its estetic" (though I'm not sure I am translating it well either!).

So many wonderful scores to choose from, and some which they picked aren't among his best.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

dws1982 wrote:Celine Dion wasn't as dreadful as I thought she'd be. Still, the whole thing would've been better without the song.
Exactly, how unnecesary a moment can be? just watch Celine's performance in order to know so...

On the other hand, the clips of its films with its corresponding score satisfied me very deeply, actually a I cried a little while hearing the Oboe tune from The Mission...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

dws1982 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I wonder if this is the first time an acceptance speech has been given in a foreign language on the show?

Andrzej Wajda gave his speech in Polish when he got the honorary award, although his speech was subtitled.

Ditto Kurosawa and Antonioni, who had interpreters on stage with them.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

For the first time, I didn't really care for a Celine Dion performances.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

That world premier song was actually Deborah's Theme from Once Upon a Time in America; which also happens to be my favorite composition of his.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:I wonder if this is the first time an acceptance speech has been given in a foreign language on the show?
Andrzej Wajda gave his speech in Polish when he got the honorary award, although his speech was subtitled.
Dennis Bee
Graduate

Post by Dennis Bee »

Clint has to be reading Morricone's translation off a teleprompter. He does not know Italian, unless he learned it since the Leone films.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I wonder if this is the first time an acceptance speech has been given in a foreign language on the show?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Celine Dion wasn't as dreadful as I thought she'd be. Still, the whole thing would've been better without the song.

Clint Eastwood's an everyman--Director, Producer, Actor, Composer...Translator.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

He'll make my personal Best Score lineup this year for Fateless--as of right now, he's probably my number one choice.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Discuss
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The 8th Decade”