Putting Things In Perspective

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ, I just now read this. I'm really sorry to hear about your friend's passing. That is terribly sad and I can completely understand your bout with "survivor's guilt". Unfortunately, anorexia is really on the rise right now, especially among young women. It doesn't help matters when Hollywood consistently promotes a totally unrealistic image of feminine perfection to young girls out there, not all of whom are built like supermodels. Personally, I think that look is disgusting (but I'm gay so I guess my tastes are somewhat negligible) I only wish there was more of a strenuous campaign out there to educate parents and peers on the signs of this terrible disease because a lot of people don't know them.

Speaking of putting things in perspective, yesterday was the 22-year anniversary of my cousin's disappearance. She was twelve years old walking home from school and was never heard from again. Sometimes, I see a young woman who's about the same age as she'd be today and think to myself that it could be her. Conventional logic would indicate that she's most likely dead, however, I've always held out hope that she'll turn up someday (but that's probably a result of watching too many soaps).

Anyway, thanks for sharing your personal story and giving us all a reality check.

Edited By flipp525 on 1169674890
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Not only awards given out by people with bad taste, but just awards in general. Who are they to tell you your work is better than someone else's? It is all hard work put onto the screen, and though we get wrapped up in awarding it, we can't forget that it is the end result - the product - that matters. Being an artist (or trying hard) myself, I know that even if a few people like what I've done, I can be proud of it. The Oscars are ultimately not very important in the grand scheme of things.
I'm very sorry about your friend, BJ. I hope you and your families find comfort and condolence during this difficult time.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

BJ, I am so sorry about and your friend, and feel so sad for both her and you. My condolences.

And your words about putting the Oscars in perspective are spot on. I actually think most of the people here are pretty level-headed about the Awards (but, oh, those people at Oscar Watch and Gold Derby!), but it is important to remember that as heartbreaking some voting results can be, they're only an award given out bt people with notoriously bad taste.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I'm not sure if it's the best time (if it ever is) to burden the board with one's personal tragedy, but I feel compelled nonetheless to let you all know of a sad event in my personal life.

I just found out that a friend of mine since junior high school (who I had not been in touch with since high school) has passed away. She suffered for many years from anorexia, and had been living in a hospital for several years. Her body had just been deteriorating for so long that her heart simply stopped.

It is always sad when a friend or family member passes away, but I feel especially devastated because my friend was only 22 years old, and never really had a chance to live her life. I had always hoped she would get better, and realize how beautiful she was and how much people truly cared about her. I particularly regret not making recent hospital visits, wondering if I could have done something, anything, to change this outcome . . . but of course now it is too late.

I say this all because it's important to remind myself, especially at this time of year, not to get too worked up over tomorrow's nominations. Of course, I'm not at all planning to take tomorrow morning off. I'm sure I will watch the nominations and groan like I do every year, partly in jest. But then I'll remember that, y'know what, it really DOESN'T matter how many Oscars Little Miss Sunshine wins -- it's really not something worth getting bent out of shape about.

And so, to everyone, if your favorite film gets the short shrift tomorrow, or if the film you dread wins the house, by all means, let us hear about it. But then try to spend the rest of your day in as best spirits as you can, for life is short and you never know when your loved ones might need to see a welcoming smile or hear a kind word. Let the nominations excite you for a season of fun discussion and debate, and remember that no matter what happens tomorrow . . . it's just the Oscars.

I hope that doesn't sound corny, but it will be certainly be on my mind when I wake up early tomorrow morning.

Return to “General Off-Topic”