58th Annual Emmy Award Show

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

It's appalling, alright.

And more appalling is that the producers don't consider South Asians to be Asian enough to participate in this televised race war.

Here was the best part of the evening: Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. Watch it again.

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/The-Emmy-Awards-.mov

Just in case it wasn't clear enough in context,
Pablum: bland or insipid intellectual fare, entertainment, etc.; pap. - Oxford Dictionary.

Second best moment was Julia Louise Dreyfuss.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Upon reflection it was in bad taste, but I must admit it didn't registar with me at the time. The bigger TV controversy was, and remains, the new season of Survivor which will pit four racially segregated teams (one black, one white, one Asian and one Hispanic) against one another. This is truly appalling.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:Well, I'll somewhat disagree, Oscar Guy - though from a slightly different perspective. It was of course unbelievably bad timing that a terrible crash happened on the very day of the show...but I'd thought right from the get-go that, in this era of United 93/London bomb plot, a plane crash is about the last thing in the world I'd play for laughs. The rest of the opening was fairly funny, but being troubled by a plane-crash joke isn't, to my kind, being overly sensitive.

Mr. Tee... really? I'm surprised to read that from you.

I'm pretty much with Oscar Guy regarding the Kentucky plane crash, although I can understand the station manager speaking out about it. But I made no connection between Conan's intro and the real plane crash, and I'm sure any relatives of the victims had priorities apart from watching the Emmys. As for United 93, that happened five years ago already, and the London bomb plot didn't happen at all... and it's looking more and more like it was in such early stages it may never have gone into effect. When that news broke two weeks ago, I heard jokes about it later that afternoon. I read a very funny blog entry somewhere about how this would put a crimp on everyone's love life. And it's much easier to joke about such a thing when the incident is stopped before anyone is hurt.

And it's irrelevant anyway, because the intro was not mocking terrorism, it was not mocking any particular plane crash, it wasn't even mocking plane crashes at all. It was just referencing Lost. I knew it, and I don't even watch the show.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't disagree with you. WW had one of its best seasons ever.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Alan Alda was also quite excellent on The West Wing this season.

Although I was firmly rooting for Gregory Itzin, I feared a threepeat by William Shatner. When Alda's name was announced, I was a little surprised, but then I remembered how terrific he was this season and thought, good for him. The veteran status certainly helped him, but for my money, he was one of the worthier winners last night.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Alan Alda and Blythe Danner were selected, I firmly believe, because of their veteran status and their shows ending had little to do with it. Mullally I can't explain, nor do I think I ever will. But 3 out of 10 isn't good when you consider what percentage of nominations came from cancelled series.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

And worst of all...Megan Mullally
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Alan Alda also won last night and Cloris Leachman was acknowledged for her win the week before as was Patricia Clarkson.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Nominations: Yes. Awards No. Virtually no one during last night's boradcast won for a show that had been cancelled or was taken off the air. Blythe Danner was the only one. A few more won guest acting awards at the creative arts awards but last night was "tough ####" night.
Wesley Lovell
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't there seem to be an inordinate amount of awards going to shows that have been cancelled or stopped production?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, I'll somewhat disagree, Oscar Guy - though from a slightly different perspective. It was of course unbelievably bad timing that a terrible crash happened on the very day of the show...but I'd thought right from the get-go that, in this era of United 93/London bomb plot, a plane crash is about the last thing in the world I'd play for laughs. The rest of the opening was fairly funny, but being troubled by a plane-crash joke isn't, to my kind, being overly sensitive.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I just read an article on AP where the station manager for the NBC affiliate in Lexington, KY said that NBC showed great insensitivity in airing the pre-recorded clip of Conan in a crashing airliner because of the crash that day that killed 49.

Everything these days shows "insensitivity". I wonder when people are gonna pull their heads out of their own asses. Just because you have a tragedy doesn't mean the entire world has to bow down at your feet and try to make you happy. Tragedy happens. It's what makes joy so precious. Don't get bent out of shape for something you think is insensitive because quite frankly you're just causing your self more misery in the end.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The problem with the Emmy Show, as indeed is the problem with all awards shows, is that they are so thoroughly rehearsed that there is hardly any spontaneity anymore. The presenters and nominees are dressed to the nines by couturiers so that there isn't even the fun of seeing a hideously dressed person anymore - well, almost - Candice Bergen looked like she was dressed in something she pieced together from her closet when she weighted 20 or 30 pounds less - held together with a belt that looked like something out of the 17th Century.

For me the best moments were the impromptu comments of Stephen Colbert - "I lost to Barry Manilow!" and Helen Mirren - "I almost went ass over tit" which came out so fast I thought I must have misunderstood what she said until Calista Flockhart repeated it a moment later as did her co-presenter, who said "I'd love to have seen you go as over tit".
kooyah
Graduate

Post by kooyah »

And Jaclyn Smith looked the best.

Did anyone else think, "My god, Annette Bening is campaigning ALREADY?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think this is the good place to say that among the Angels, Farrah Fawcett aged the WORST.

Return to “Broadcast Media”