Fall Predicitons

1998 through 2007
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

ITALIANO wrote:Bill Condon winning Best Director? Ok, we had Norman Taurog and Delbert Mann... but it's very, very unlikely.
I can hear the sound of Damien loading and taking aim.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:flipp525, I'll be interested in your checking back after you've finished the book. I liked reading it, but found the latter portions not particularly effective in wrapping it up into a dramatic whole; it seemed to me to sort of dribble away -- and I'm not sure how that'll play on screen.

I also question the web-focus on Connelly as potential supporting nominee, as her character seemed fairly uncompelling to me.

***SLIGHT SPOILERS***

Tee, I agree that the ending of Little Children felt a little bit rushed (I could easily have spent 100+ more pages with these characters) but the plot's resolution was unexpected (which I liked) and made sense to me. That scene of Todd's final football game is a golden moment.

The preview looks fantastic, certainly one of the best of the season. Jennifer Connelly's character (Kathy), while insignificant and virutally absent in the first half of the book, has that killer dinner scene towards the end. Judging from the preview, she nails it (and I'm psyched that they included the part where she 'drops her fork'). Never underestimate the Academy's penchant for nominating the 'scorned wife' in the Best Supporting Actress category.

I'm glad that they've followed the book and made Kate Winslet's character slightly frazzled and unattractive (at least in the beginning). I was afraid they were going to Hollywood-ify and just forget that aspect of her character altogether.

I'm very excited about this film.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Bill Condon winning Best Director? Ok, we had Norman Taurog and Delbert Mann... but it's very, very unlikely.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

If it's not the cute little fat girl, the crime of the season by far. If Alan Arkin is not nominated for '13 Conversations About One Thing' but THIS tripe? UGH!
"How's the despair?"
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Someone from Little Miss Sunshine will be in my September predictions.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Sabin, it is nearly the end of August. That's 8 out of 12 months. I'd say the year has definitely begun and I haven't seen one film I'd like to put on a top ten list. (The Child is waiting in my DVD queue, though.)

Yes, higher quality films will come out in the fall and winter . . . but by this time last year I had seen The Best of Youth, Junebug, Grizzly Man, Mysterious Skin, and Murderball—half of my top 10 list. Usually there's at least a couple great titles from the first 3/4 of the year, but of what I've seen in 2006 . . . nada.

So far this year, I've wanted to see little, and I've been disappointed by everything I have seen. Wake me up when something remotely interesting comes along.

P.S. And it's not Half Nelson. Yikes, the acclaim for this one is even more baffling. What an incredibly thin, dull little film.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I half expected Wes to walk out Marshall McLuhan-style. "You know nothing of my work. How you won anything at Sundance is beyond me!"

That's the kicker. 'Little Miss Sunshine' wins what? The Audience Award? And 'Bottle Rocket' isn't even allowed in? Bull$hit.

I just read this online. THIS IS A QUOTE FROM THAT SIMPLETON JOEL SIEGEL: "Orson Welles would have to come back to life for this not to make my year-end Top 10 list."

Edited By Sabin on 1156727464
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote:I'm already annoyed at this ''Little Miss Sunshine' nonsense.
From you, I know why. This movie may be taking the Wes Anderson slots that should've been his several years ago had we lived in a just universe.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Is it a snooze-fest? Why? It hasn't even begun and we're out of LoTR' films. Who'd'athunk 'Million Dollar Baby' and 'Crash'? These two winners prove that you never know what's coming out, or back.

I'm already annoyed at this ''Little Miss Sunshine' nonsense.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Oh god. I really hope Little Miss Sunshine isn't the film I officially hate this awards season . . . but it might be.

If that film gets even an Original Screenplay nomination it will be the worst script to do so since who knows when. Worse than Crash. Worse than Gladiator. Worse than friggin' My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

I'd like to grin and bare it and say that we've had worse films nominated for top awards over recent years. But, in my opinion, we really haven't.

2006 is shaping up to be one snooze-a-thon of a movie year.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

LMS is a crowd-pleaser. I enjoyed it and my friends, who typically don't like films that are film snobbish, loved it, so I think Little Miss Sunshine could prove dangerous this year. Perhaps even Toni Collette can get some overdue recognition.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I think "Little Miss Sunshine" may be a resiliant little bugger. Put it in that "fifth slot" until the Fall season proves otherwise.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

No. We don't know a thing. But it's Miramax, Lasse Hallstrom, and hopefully 'Chicago'-snub still in memory. Seems like a decent bet. Also slight. Seems very slight. At this point, it looks to me like the safest bet for Best Actor is Forest Whitaker.

(It's also our old buddy Editman choppin' it up. Oscar-nominee Andrew Mondshein, whom we drove away after the grand 'Chocolat'-bash of '01 -- God, I feel old. No, just not smart)

Wouldn't it seem somewhere along the lines of a foregone conclusion that 'Goya's Ghosts' would be nominated? It's not picked up yet, so I understand the hesitation, but it's Natalie Portman & Milos Forman (the Academy loves both, the former inexplicably), not to mention Javier Bardem & Jean-Claude Carriere.
"How's the despair?"
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

And what about Gere in The Hoax? Is his performance oscar worthy? Did someone see the movie?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The official website with trailer is up for Little Children; this is a very effective trailer, and looks like Todd Field may have improved considerably since In the Bedroom. Obviously, we´ll know more once it premieres at Toronto.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “The 8th Decade”