R.I.P. Arthur Lee

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Sonic Youth wrote:It's so disquieting to see these sixties icons slip away one by one. I still can't accept that there are only two Beatles left.
I suppose it's only destiny that the two 60's iconoclasts who never became massive stars, but made such classic albums and became acid casualties, would pass away within a month of each other. Time passes, and before you know it, the Rolling Stones won't be rolling for long.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

And there goes another one.

"Forever Changes" was purchased at 16 or 17. I don't think it's the best album of '67, but it was on constant rotation in my bedroom, and it's far more preferable to anything Crosby Still & Nash or Jefferson Airplane ever did. A cousin of mine made a tape of "Da Capo" and a Best of Love compilation on two sides of a C-90, which I'm sure I still have somewhere.

He was another odd duck. He was released from prison a few years ago after serving half a dozen years for carrying unliscenced firearms, and I think he was a lifelong drug addict. Compared to Syd Barrett, though, he was a model of mental health.

Bryan MacClean served the role as secondary songwriter - there's always one of those, isn't there? - providing one or two cuts per album. He died in 1999 at the age of 51. I remember it very distinctly, because it was announced on January 1st... the very first obituary of the new year. How's that for distinction?

It's so disquieting to see these sixties icons slip away one by one. I still can't accept that there are only two Beatles left.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

It still saddens me that "Forever Changes" is so overlooked as the masterpiece it is, because it is truly 1967's best album. Hopefully his unfortunate death will spur more people to discover that gem.

Arthur Lee of Love Dead at 61
pitchforkmedia.com, Posted by Amy Phillips in death on Fri: 08-04-06: 12:05 AM CDT

Arthur Lee, legendary frontman for the influential psych-rock band Love, has died. He was 61 years old.

As previously reported, Lee was suffering from acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Several recent benefit concerts, including one at New York City's Beacon Theater featuring Robert Plant, Yo La Tengo, and Ryan Adams, among others, raised money to help pay Lee's medical expenses. Lee's manager, Mark Linn, sent out the following email just minutes ago:

"Arthur Lee died peacefully at Methodist Hospital in Memphis, a little after four in the afternoon Aug 3, 2006 with his wife Diane by his side. His death comes as a shock to me because Arthur had the uncanny ability to bounce back from everything, and leukemia was no exception. He was confident that he would be back on stage by the fall.

"When I visited with him recently, he was visibly moved by the stories and pictures from the NYC benefit concert. He was truly grateful for the outpouring of love from friends and fans all over the world since news of his illness became public. We watched the DVD of the great House of Blues concert from '03, and he told me how much he appreciated [backing band] Baby Lemonade's dedication to his music.

"Arthur always lived in the moment, and said what he thought when he thought it. I'll miss his phone calls, and his long voice messages, but most of all I'll miss Arthur playing Arthur's music."

So will we.

Return to “Broadcast Media”