New Developments II

Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

criddic3 wrote:You wouldn't say that if you knew me, but it's funny I admit.
Was that a come on? ???

Criddic, I disagree with you on almost everything under the sun (and I'm sure given religious conservtive views lately, we'd probably disagree on the position of the sun too!) but I'll give you credit for being able to take a bad joke.

Damien - I don't think I believe it either, but it is a hoot nevertheless. I've also heard things about Condi's sexuality and plus I find it hard to believe a racist SOB like George would be attracted to Condi.

Bad joke: after the Katrina disaster, when George first gave Michael Brown a medal (before realizing he needed a scapegoat and then firing him), he reportedly said, "You're doing a great job Brownie." One of my friends remarked, "Maybe he was confused. Isn't that his nickname for Conoleeza Rice?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Nik wrote:
criddic3 wrote:I would be surprised if President Bush could grow tired of his wife and start an affair with Condi Rice. It's a silly notion.

Rice is an intelligent and admirable woman and Bush is a true leader,

Oh god, can you honestly say that with a straight face? I just barfed big time.

Ok ok. I stand corrected then, Criddic. I CAN imagine a less arousing couple having sex: YOU and anyone :p
You wouldn't say that if you knew me, but it's funny I admit.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

England Hates Us (and who can blame her?) . . .

From Yahoo News:

BRITONS TIRE OF CRUEL, VULGAR US: POLL

LONDON (AFP) - People in Britain view the United States as a vulgar, crime-ridden society obsessed with money and led by an incompetent president whose Iraq policy is failing, according to a newspaper poll.

The United States is no longer a symbol of hope to Britain and the British no longer have confidence in their transatlantic cousins to lead global affairs, according to the poll published in The Daily Telegraph.

The YouGov poll found that 77 percent of respondents disagreed with the statement that the US is "a beacon of hope for the world".

As Americans prepared to celebrate the 230th anniversary of their independence on Tuesday, the poll found that only 12 percent of Britons trust them to act wisely on the global stage. This is half the number who had faith in the Vietnam-scarred White House of 1975.

A massive 83 percent of those questioned said that the United States doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks.

With much of the worst criticism aimed at the US adminstration, the poll showed that 70 percent of Britons like Americans a lot or a little.

US President George W. Bush fared significantly worse, with just one percent rating him a "great leader" against 77 percent who deemed him a "pretty poor" or "terrible" leader.

More than two-thirds who offered an opinion said America is essentially an imperial power seeking world domination. And 81 per cent of those who took a view said President George W Bush hypocritically championed democracy as a cover for the pursuit of American self-interests.

US policy in Iraq was similarly derided, with only 24 percent saying they felt that the US military action there was helping to bring democracy to the country.

A spokesman for the American embassy said that the poll's findings were contradicted by its own surveys.

"We question the judgment of anyone who asserts the world would be a better place with Saddam still terrorizing his own nation and threatening people well beyond Iraq's borders," the paper quoted the unnamed spokesman as saying.

"With respect to the poll's assertions about American society, we bear some of the blame for not successfully communicating America's extraordinary dynamism.

"But frankly, so do you (the British press)."

In answer to other questions, a majority of the Britons questions described Americans as uncaring, divided by class, awash in violent crime, vulgar, preoccupied with money, ignorant of the outside world, racially divided, uncultured and in the most overwhelming result (90 percent of respondents) dominated by big business
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Nik wrote:Ok ok. I stand corrected then, Criddic. I CAN imagine a less arousing couple having sex: YOU and anyone :p

ROTFLMAO, Nik.

Actually, as much fun as it is to think of that self-medicating Stepford Wife Laura Bush being cheated upon, I don't quite buy the Georgie-Condie affair because I've always heard (from people I trust) that Rice is a lesbian. Besides who would ever find Bush attractive, other than Jane Goodall (and criddic, of course)?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

criddic3 wrote:I would be surprised if President Bush could grow tired of his wife and start an affair with Condi Rice. It's a silly notion.

Rice is an intelligent and admirable woman and Bush is a true leader,
Oh god, can you honestly say that with a straight face? I just barfed big time.

Ok ok. I stand corrected then, Criddic. I CAN imagine a less arousing couple having sex: YOU and anyone :p
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Time has him at 35%, but several other polls have him at 40% and 41%.

I would be surprised if President Bush could grow tired of his wife and start an affair with Condi Rice. It's a silly notion.

Rice is an intelligent and admirable woman and Bush is a true leader, but I just don't see them as a couple. Besides why would he want to have a affair with her when he has a beautiful, smart First Lady at home?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

You're right Criddic, Bush isn't going down. Which is probably why Laura looks pissed all the time. Girlfriend needs a tongue between her legs PRONTO.

Btw, does anyone else think the UK press is hilarious with its insinuations about George and Condi? LMAO. Not sure if that was posted or discussed here already but wow. I don't know if it's true or not but I can't imagine two less arousing people having sex. And people thought Bill and Monica were bad? Sheesh. George and Condi could make a strap-on go limp.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

New Time Magazine Poll:

POLL: GOOD NEWS FAILS TO BOOST BUSH'S JOB APPROVAL
In a new TIME survey, Americans say the President is performing poorly and that the country is increasingly on the wrong track

By LISA TAKEUCHI CULLEN

Posted Friday, Jun. 30, 2006
A spate of good news at home and abroad has so far failed to boost how Americans feel about President Bush's job performance. Bush's approval rating slipped to 35% in a TIME poll taken this week, down from 37% in March (and 53% in early 2005). Only 33% of Americans in the survey said they approved of Bush's handling of the situation in Iraq, vs. 35% in March, and 47% in March 2005. His management of the U.S. economy lost supporters, too, as 36% approved, compared with 39% three months earlier. Bush's handling of the war on terror saw a slight gain in support, from 44% to 45%.

Bush's poll numbers remain stuck in a rut despite several high-profile victories scored recently by the Bush Administration. Earlier this month, U.S. forces killed al-Qaeda leader Abu Mousab al-Zarqawi in an air raid in Iraq. Also this month, Karl Rove escaped indictment in the CIA leak investigation. And the Commerce Department reported today that the U.S. economy grew 5.6% in the first quarter of 2006, the fastest growth in more than two years.

But continued pessimism about the situation in Iraq and a broad sense of unease about America's direction may be undermining Bush's popularity. In the TIME survey, 66% said the country is on the wrong track, vs. 28% who said it's going in the right direction. Those numbers have worsened since March, when the poll recorded a 60% to 34% split. When asked whether the new Iraqi government will be able to build a stable and reasonably democratic society, 48% of those surveyed said no, while 39% remain optimistic.

Congress isn't faring much better.

Americans have grown more critical of the job Congress is doing, compared with three months ago. Only 31% approved, down sharply from 39% in March. Asked whether they would be more likely to vote for the Republican or Democratic candidate in the district where they live if the election were held today, 47% said Democrat and 35% said Republican, a two-point improvement for Democrats.

The TIME survey was conducted among 1,003 adult Americans on June 27-29.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

We all know its ludicrous, but About.com features this article about Bush's Veto Record.

And this is a chart included that I think is non-sequiter to the article but still an interesting bit of information.

Debt vs. GDP ChartArticle
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Yes, but saying they're "down, down, down" ignores the fact that they are currently rising. It implies that Bush is still losing ground, when in fact he is gaining. Saying that his ratings are low only gets part of the story. Of course, it's the part you happen to like. Delusional, indeed.

The Current Political Scene
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Oh my dear lad! Only fabricators and/or the delusional would NOT consider a popularity rating in the 30s "down down down".
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Polls
Bush's polls are down down down. How to get them back up in time to help the Republicans for Election day?

Bush's numbers have been going up. Only a couple of weeks ago, his disapprovals were at 58%. Now they are down to 53%. His approvals only recently were at a lowly 31%. Now they are up to 38.5%

So this notion that his numbers are "down, down, down" is not accurate. If things continue this way and get over the 40% line, it's a fairly good bet that he'll be in safe territory. I don't want to get overly optimistic about it, though, since he's spent a long time in the mid-thirties. But there is hope for those who support President Bush.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:Regardless, it is incredibly foolish to have a timetable for withdrawing troops. People may WANT troops to come home, but that's not the same as a responsible stance. It's an emotional reaction to war, which is understandable but not logical.
Iraq Prime Minister Maliki calls for timetable

How much longer until we topple THIS regime?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Bush's polls are down down down. How to get them back up in time to help the Republicans for Election day?

How about a good old-fashioned race-bait?

Read carefully. Not even CNN believes the government.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Globe is of course an absurd source...but that didn't stop the august New York Times from using a Globe photo as "evidence" in their hinty, do-you-think-they-still-do-it? article on Bill and Hillary some weeks ago.

Return to “Current Events”