Daytime Emmys - Does anybody care?

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

How long do these shows last? Do they book out some theatre for a weekend or something? The only committee-decided TV awards in the UK are the Baftas, which are kept to a trim two hours with no more than twenty or so awards. The Brits, meanwhile, our most visible music gong show, hands out about twelve prizes.

I've perused Emmy and Grammy nominations over the years and the endless categories boggle the mind.
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

The Original BJ wrote:
Damien wrote:Thank God that the beautiful, evocative sets for Martha were honored -- if the show had lost this award it would have been scandalous, right up there with the Crash best picture Oscar.

I was particularly delighted that the Ellen DeGeneris show won for Live And Direct To Tape Sound Mixing. So richly deserved!: Whenever I watch the program I can almost always make out what Ellen and her guests are saying.

What a crock of horse shi t these awards are.

LMAO. You always keep it real, Damien.

Although, to be fair, I think this group has got nothing on the Grammys. I'm really looking forward to picking my favorite nominee in the category of Best Debut Rap Song Under Three Minutes Written by a Transsexual Native American Over the Age of 40, or whatever other moronically specific category they've invented this year so every person remotely connected to the music industry and their pet can win a trophy.
Agreed. We make fun of the Oscars and sure they deserve it but the Grammys really ARE a popularity contest. You sell, you get a Grammy. You know there's no merit to it when Aimee Mann - who has NEVER been nominated in a major category at the Grammys despite being our most nimble lyricist since Cole Porter - wins her first and only Grammy (for her wonderful album The Forgotten Arm last year) in a nonesense category for doing the art work on the packaging for her album. I sh it you not, this is a real category.
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Damien wrote:Thank God that the beautiful, evocative sets for Martha were honored -- if the show had lost this award it would have been scandalous, right up there with the Crash best picture Oscar.

I was particularly delighted that the Ellen DeGeneris show won for Live And Direct To Tape Sound Mixing. So richly deserved!: Whenever I watch the program I can almost always make out what Ellen and her guests are saying.

I love you Damien :D
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Woo-hoo!! Luke comes out to his parents May 9!! :p

Ok, you can ignore me now. :D
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

LMAO. You always keep it real, Damien.

Although, to be fair, I think this group has got nothing on the Grammys. I'm really looking forward to picking my favorite nominee in the category of Best Debut Rap Song Under Three Minutes Written by a Transsexual Native American Over the Age of 40, or whatever other moronically specific category they've invented this year so every person remotely connected to the music industry and their pet can win a trophy.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Cool.
Jeffrey
Graduate

Post by Jeffrey »

Hi friends,
I'm a serious reader of this board, especially during Oscar season. A friend of mine's daughter took home the Best Supporting Actress Daytime Emmy Friday night. Against stiff and formidable competition.
I can't begin to tell you how much this award meant not only to the young actress and her mother but also to me, with my lifelong interest in entertainment (whether it be the Oscars or the Daytime Emmys). The excitement was tremendous.
Jeff
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I never watch daytime TV; however, I occaisionally watch 30 Minute Meals With Rachel Ray and Jeopardy!. Even though they both won Daytime Emmy's, I've never seen them before 6 PM.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

One of the things that I like about the Daytime Emmys is that it is probably the ONLY awards show where John Ritter, Alicia Silverstone and Jackie Chan can get nominated in the same category and get beaten by the guy who played the father in The Nanny. (Yes, it happened in the Outstanding Performer in an Animated Program back in 2002).
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The big categories were handed out this evening (at the Kodak Theater, no less); with most of the acting awards going to Guiding Light, I was surprised when General Hospital took home the big prize; meanwhile, my beloved As the World Turns grabbed only one prize (Jennifer Landon is Michael Landon's daughter, by the way) -- and let me just say this now: if Kelley Menighan Hensley isn't nominated next year for her riveting, jawdropping portrayal of the delusional Emily, there's no justice....

Drama Series: General Hospital
Talk Show: The Ellen DeGeneres Show
Game Show: Jeopardy!
Service Show: 30 Minute Meals with Rachael Ray
Lead Actor, Drama Series: Anthony Geary, General Hospital
Lead Actress, Drama Series: Kim Zimmer, Guiding Light
Supporting Actor, Drama Series: Jordan Clarke, Guiding Light
Supporting Actress, Drama Series: Gina Tognoni, Guiding Light
Younger Actor, Drama Series: Tom Pelphrey, Guiding Light
Younger Actress, Drama Series: Jennifer Landon, As the World Turns
Achievement in Video Content for Non-Traditional Delivery Platform: AOL, Live 8 on AOL
Pre-School Children's Series: Sesame Street
Children's Series: Zoom
Performer, Children's Series: Kevin Clash, Elmo on Sesame Street
Performer, Children's Special: James McDaniel, Edge of America
Talk Show Host: Ellen DeGeneres, The Ellen DeGeneres Show
Game Show Host: Alex Trebek, Jeopardy!
Service Show Host: Suze Orman, Suze Orman: For the Young, Fabulous & Broke
Drama Series Directing Team: General Hospital
Drama Series Writing Team: The Young and the Restless
Lifetime Achievement Award: Caroll Spinney
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Thank God that the beautiful, evocative sets for Martha were honored -- if the show had lost this award it would have been scandalous, right up there with the Crash best picture Oscar.

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

If you're curious, they handed out some of these awards last night, including Damien's Best Makeup for a Talk Show (won by The View); herewith:

The complete list of Creative Craft Daytime Emmy winners:

Children's animated program: "Jakers! The Adventures of Piggley Winks," PBS.

Special class animated program: "The Batman," Kids WB!

Art direction/set decoration/scenic design: "Martha," syndicated, and "Sesame Street," PBS.

Art direction/set decoration/scenic design for a drama series: "As the World Turns," CBS.

Casting director for a drama series: "General Hospital," ABC.

Single camera photography (film or electronic): "The Victory Garden," PBS.

Costume design/styling: "Sesame Street," PBS.

Costume design for a drama series: "The Bold and the Beautiful," CBS.

Directing in a talk show: "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," syndicated.

Directing in a service shows: "Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello," Food Network.

Directing in a children's series: "Zoom," PBS.

Special class directing: "The 79th annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade," NBC.

Single camera editing: "Starting Over," syndicated.

Multiple camera editing: "Sesame Street," PBS.

Multiple camera editing for a drama series: "As the World Turns," CBS.

Hairstyling: "The Tyra Banks Show," syndicated.

Hairstyling for a drama series: "General Hospital," ABC.

Lighting direction: "The Oprah Winfrey Show," syndicated.

Lighting direction for a drama series: "As the World Turns," CBS, and "The Bold and the Beautiful," CBS.

Main title design: "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," syndicated.

Makeup: "The View," ABC.

Makeup for a drama series: "The Young and the Restless," CBS.

Music direction and composition: "Sesame Street," PBS.

Music direction and composition for a drama series: "The Young and the Restless," CBS.

Original song: "The Young and the Restless," CBS.

Performer in a children's series: Kevin Clash as Elmo in "Sesame Street," PBS.

Performer in a children/youth/family special: James McDaniel as Kenny Williams in "Edge of America," Showtime.

Performer in an animated program: Maile Flanagan as Piggley Winks in "Jakers! The Adventures of Piggley Winks," PBS.

Game/audience participation show: "Jeopardy!", syndicated.

Children's series: "Zoom," PBS.

Children/youth/family special: "Reality Matters: Teen Sexuality," Discovery Health.

Service show: "30 Minute Meals with Rachael Ray," Food Network.

Special class special: "2005 Walt Disney World Christmas Day Parade," ABC.

Sound editing/live action and animation: "The Batman," Kids WB!

Live and direct to tape sound mixing: "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," syndicated.

Live and direct to tape sound mixing for a drama series: "Passions," NBC.

Sound mixing/live action and animation: "Sesame Street," PBS.

Technical direction/electronic camera/video control: "The Oprah Winfrey Show," syndicated.

Technical direction/electronic camera/video control for a drama series: "The Young and the Restless," CBS.

Writing in a children's series: "Sesame Street," PBS.

Special class writing: "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," syndicated.

Video content for nontraditional delivery platforms: "Live 8 on AOL," AOL.

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

You know there are just too many damn awards when ine is given for best make-up of a talk or game show. Whatecver happened to just doing your job competently and not needing a trophy for it?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Daytime Emmys will be handed out Friday, April 28; anybody here interested in who might or might not win in the fields of daytime talk shows, childrens programing, game shows, and, of course, soap operas? The list of nominees can be found here.

The only daytime show I watch is As the World Turns, which is up for 12 nominations; the show (which recently celebrated its 50th anniversary) is a bit uneven right now (the Emily/Paul/Meg storyline is riveting, and Luke's coming out is fairly interesting, but I am soooo over Jack/Carly and Mike/Katie--the latter two are the definition of bland and boring). Anyway, since I don't watch any other shows, it's hard for me to compare and say which is the best, but it would be nice if Best Supporting Actor nominee Trent Dawson (Henry on ATWT) were to win -- he's a classic scene-stealer if there ever was one.

My guess is that The Young and the Restless -- which recently celebrated its 900th consecutive week at #1 in the ratings (I've never understood the appeal of that sloooooooow-moving show, but there we are) -- will take home the prize.

And, just for kicks, check out this classic piece of daytime television.

Return to “Broadcast Media”