2024 Emmy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: 2024 Emmy Awards

Post by dws1982 »

Shogun is reportedly submitting in the Drama Series categories, and FX announced this week that a second season is in development. I understand the attraction to making more, because it was such a big event, but from my understanding, it was a full adaptation of the novel. James Clavell did not write a sequel book. (He did write several other novels set in Asia, and they are part of what is referred to as the Asian Saga, but they aren't explicitly connected to Shogun.) It may be beneficial to the show in terms of Emmy wins; the Drama Series categories were looking pretty weak; The Crown was been looked at as the frontrunner, but mainly because there is so little else.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I agree with Sabin that Baby Reindeer will be a big contender in the Limited Series categories at the Emmys, basically any category in which it’s nominated. This is pretty harrowing stuff. Bravo to Richard Gadd for being this vulnerable in portraying his story. It’s very good and hard to watch at times (I definitely had to take a break halfway through). I don’t think there will be anything similar coming out the rest of the eligibility period.

The series has a lot in common with the Emmy-nominated limited series I May Destroy You which also explored the effects of trauma on its main character. And also both being British shows.

Jessica Gunning must be seen as a solid frontrunner for Supporting Actress in a Limited Series/TV Movie/Anthology at this point (again, agree with Sabin here). She was almost Kathy Bates-in-Misery-esque at times. A scary, yet oddly tender at times, performance.

Okri, I think the “ethically fractious” element of the series is actually attracting more viewers than it might normally have gotten.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Okri wrote
I've been meaning to watch Baby Reindeer, but I wonder if the ethically fractious part of it will turn voters off. Especially when they can just vote for Masters of the Air or something less discomfiting.
When it comes to Emmy voting, I have no idea. What I do know is that the people who like this show are really going to like it.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I've been meaning to watch Baby Reindeer, but I wonder if the ethically fractious part of it will turn voters off. Especially when they can just vote for Masters of the Air or something less discomfiting.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

2024 Emmy Awards

Post by Sabin »

Crazy to be talking about the Emmys again so soon after the last category. I have a feeling it's going to be an underwhelming affair full of sweeps. I think the category(ies) to watch are in the realm of Limited Series. This is a very zeitgeisty format.

One award that I think has to be pretty locked up is Jessica Gunning (Best Supporting Actress - Limited Series) for Baby Reindeer. I'm not quite done with it as a whole but I think it could actually win a lot more than just that. Gunning is terrific but she's the obvious awards bait. The whole series has a transfixing, can't-look-away-quality that almost feels like The Silence of the Lambs in the way puts us in the protagonist POV and creates a fearful world that I think (regardless of ones' own personal history) a lot of people will be able to relate to. It's like a trauma thriller. I think it might do very well with voters because it gets away with tackling a lot of taboos (transgender chasing, fatphobia, showbiz abuse) in thoughtful, powerful ways.

One more observation that occurs to me. We live in times that are very confusing but yet very confessional. Everyone wants to tell you their absolute truth but nobody knows if anything can be believed. Baby Reindeer isn't about that sensation but it captures it in a bottle.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Broadcast Media”