Boston Film Critics Awards

For the films of 2023
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Boston Film Critics Awards

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
Downey got a lot of initial ink because the role seemed out of his usual wheelhouse -- given his output over the past decade-plus, doing anything besides arrogant smirk felt like a stretch. I do think he's good in the movie, but good in a sort of expectable way. Gosling, I just couldn't have imagined what he came up with. It's a more deeply creative performance.

I also wonder if some voters might have more respect for Gosling as simply a more serious actor (even if this performance is, on the surface, wholly unserious).
I agree, although I think these voters probably have more respect for Downey, Jr. for the vastness of his career. I just don't think that's going to matter when voting happens. Sometimes a performance hits and there's no denying it, like Christoph Waltz, and politics goes out the window.
Mister Tee wrote
That's pretty much how it broke out for The Irishman. Though, in that case, I had high hopes for the film in award terms that were sadly dashed. Here, I was honestly surprised by how well the film did, with NY and NBR.
I think Gladstone will continue to be a player throughout the season and is probably the odds-on favorite to win the Oscar.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:33 pm I've always been skeptical of Downey Jr.'s blogger-annointed front-runner status because when push comes to shove I don't think voters are going to vote for Downey Jr. with Gosling in the race. I think they're going to say "Fuck it, I don't care, he was great."
Downey got a lot of initial ink because the role seemed out of his usual wheelhouse -- given his output over the past decade-plus, doing anything besides arrogant smirk felt like a stretch. I do think he's good in the movie, but good in a sort of expectable way. Gosling, I just couldn't have imagined what he came up with. It's a more deeply creative performance.

I also wonder if some voters might have more respect for Gosling as simply a more serious actor (even if this performance is, on the surface, wholly unserious).
Sabin wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:33 pm
It's entirely possible that Killers of the Flower Moon has just finished the high point of its awards run.
That's pretty much how it broke out for The Irishman. Though, in that case, I had high hopes for the film in award terms that were sadly dashed. Here, I was honestly surprised by how well the film did, with NY and NBR.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
I'm intrigued by Ryan Gosling's strong showing from critics' groups (he was the only male cited among LA's four supporting choices, as well as winning here). I'd been thinking Downey Jr. was likelier to coast through this phase of the race, and that his fame-longevity would give him a leg up. But maybe Gosling is seen as equally overdue for recognition. This certainly doesn't hurt.
I don't know if Ryan Gosling is equally overdue for recognition although both of them have similar-ish career trajectories. Downey Jr. got his start in the Brat Pack. Gosling was a Disney Kid. Downey has about two decades of dues on Gosling and this would seem to be the perfect moment to honor him... save for one thing: Ken is such a goddamn memorable character and sometimes that's the most important thing. Gosling's Ken is beyond a meme at this point. I've always been skeptical of Downey Jr.'s blogger-annointed front-runner status because when push comes to shove I don't think voters are going to vote for Downey Jr. with Gosling in the race. I think they're going to say "Fuck it, I don't care, he was great." I'll watch Oppenheimer at some point again before the Oscars but IMO all Downey Jr. has in his favor is the fact that he's due for an Oscar. It's a very lecturing performance and those aren't ever a sure shot to win (see Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln). Gosling is Ken and his job is beach.

Mister Tee wrote
The early prizes to Killers of the Flower Moon Sabin noted turned out a false alarm. Oppenheimer didn't end up doing much, either -- runner-up for director, but not even top 3 for best film. Suggesting Boston operated in a different universe from NY, this year.
It's entirely possible that Killers of the Flower Moon has just finished the high point of its awards run.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Honestly, I kinda like that about Boston if only to counter the samey-ness of having so many critics groups.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Since I was the compiler here, I'll start my survey of Frantic Sunday with a few comments.

It's really kind of embarrassing how transparently this group has always favored Boston-located films. I've always considered their choice of Juliette Lewis as best supporting actress for Conviction the pinnacle of that self-absorption, but others may have their own favorites. I've been a big fan of Alexander Payne over the years, and, had this been Sideways or Nebraska, I'd be singing the praises of the choice. But The Holdovers, a perfectly nice film, doesn't especially well represent a year this high in quality. Randolph, no problem, and Giamatti I'm fine with. But film and screenplay? Not really.

Since I'm as yet unacquainted with The Zone of Interest, I can't hazard an opinion on its worthiness.

I'm intrigued by Ryan Gosling's strong showing from critics' groups (he was the only male cited among LA's four supporting choices, as well as winning here). I'd been thinking Downey Jr. was likelier to coast through this phase of the race, and that his fame-longevity would give him a leg up. But maybe Gosling is seen as equally overdue for recognition. This certainly doesn't hurt.

I very much liked Gladstone, and would have no problem with her eventually winning the Oscar, but I definitely don't see her as so dominant that she rampages through to the same degree Randolph is.

The early prizes to Killers of the Flower Moon Sabin noted turned out a false alarm. Oppenheimer didn't end up doing much, either -- runner-up for director, but not even top 3 for best film. Suggesting Boston operated in a different universe from NY, this year.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Screenplay to The Holdovers...and a reminder this group has always gone a bit giddy for films set in their hometown.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And, they're back on the clock. Going to be an interesting race to see who finishes first today, Boston or LA. Depends when and how long LA breaks for lunch.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And, having worn themselves out voting on a full 3 awards, the group is breaking for lunch. (ON EDIT: Someone at Awards Worthy suggested voting for The Taste of Things got them so hungry they couldn't wait.)

Meantime, LA is up and running.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Killers of the Flower Moon is already off to a good start today.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Boston Film Critics Awards

Post by Mister Tee »

As it often does, Boston serves as opening act for LA today. They reveal a winner and runner-up in each category. I'll update as available.

Best Film: The Holdovers
[runners-up included: The Zone of Interest, May December]

Best Non-English Language Film: The Zone of Interest

Best Director: Jonathan Glazer (The Zone of Interest)
[runners-up included: Christopher Nolan (Oppenheimer), Todd Haynes (May December)]

Best Actor: Paul GIamatti (The Holdovers)
[runners-up included: Cillian Murphy (Oppenheimer), Kōji Yakusho (Perfect Days)]
AFTER SCREENPLAY, THIS SEEMED A GIMME

Best Actress: Lily Gladstone (Killers of the Flower Moon)
[runners-up included: Emma Stone (Poor Things), Sandra Hüller (Anatomy of a Fall), Natalie Portman (May December)]

Best Supporting Actor: Ryan Gosling (Barbie)
[runners-up included: Charles Melton (May December), Mark Ruffalo (Poor Things), Robert Downey Jr. (Oppenheimer)]

Best Supporting Actress: Da'Vine Joy Randolph (The Holdovers)
[apparently no runners-up; easy first round win]

Best Ensemble: Oppenheimer
[runners-up included: Asteroid City, The Iron Claw, Killers of the Flower Moon]

Best Adapted Screenplay: Jonathan Glazer (The Zone of Interest)
[Runners-up included: Kelly Fremon Craig (Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret), Eric Roth and Martin Scorsese (Killers of the Flower Moon)]
BOSTON'S ORIGINAL TWEET CREDITED "ELI ROTH" -- which, as they note, would have been a significantly different film

Best Original Screenplay: David Hemingson (The Holdovers)
[runners-up included: Samy Burch (May December), Nicole Holofcener (You Hurt My Feelings)]

Best Cinematography: Jonathan Ricquebourg (The Taste of Things)
[runner-up (tie): Poor Things/Asteroid City

Best Score: Killers of the Flower Moon
[runner-up: The Zone of Interest]

Best Editing: Killers of the Flower Moon
[runner-up: Oppenheimer]
A VERY CLOSE, 3-ROUND VOTE, WITH PRISCILLA & THE TASTE OF OTHERS ALSO HEAVILY IN CONTENTION

Best Animated Film: The Boy and the Heron
[runners-up included: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Robot Dreams, The Peasants]

Best Non-Fiction Film: Geographies of Solitude
[runners-up included: 20 Days in Mariupol, The Disappearance of Shere Hite, Kokomo City, Menus-Plaisirs les Troisgros]

Best New Filmmaker: Celine Song (Past Lives)
[Runners-up included: Cord Jefferson (American Fiction)/A.V. Rockwell (A Thousand and One)]
Last edited by Mister Tee on Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Return to “96th Academy Awards”