Categories One-by-One: Make-up and Hairstyling

For the films of 2022
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Categories One-by-One: Make-up and Hairstyling

Post by Big Magilla »

I think it comes down to the blood and guts work in All Quiet on the Western Front and Brendan Fraser's makeup in The Whale. I think the more ambitious work in All Quiet will take it, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Make-up and Hairstyling

Post by Mister Tee »

The nominees:

All Quiet on the Western Front
The Batman
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Elvis
The Whale

In the past decade-plus, this category has migrated from its initial tendency of favoring ugly creatures (Quest for Fiire, The Fly, Beetlejuice) to, by and large, opting for either best picture nominees (Les Miz, The Grand Budapest Hotel) or transformative lead acting candidates (La Vie en Rose, The Iron Lady, Darkest Hour, The Eyes of Tammy Faye).

That would seem to be a disadvantage for both The Batman and Wakanda Forever, though either would be solid candidates under the old rubric -- The Batman for Colin Farrell's Penguin, and Wakanda for Namor's look, as well as nearly everyone's hair.

All Quiet is an interesting prospect. The make-up work on the soldiers in the trenches is actually pretty impressive -- effective in a quiet but still noticeable way. It's pretty far from what's ever won here in the past (maybe its clearest antecedent, Schindler's List, lost to Mrs. Doubtfire). But the best picture connection can't be dismissed.

On nominations day, a lot of pundits jumped to the tranformative actor principle, and declared an easy win for The Whale. That sentiment seemed to be prevailing, until BAFTA decided, yep, it'll be lead actor coupled with a make-up prize...only it was Elvis, instead.

What do we do with that? Do we decide the two categories in tandem ? -- i.e., if your best actor is Butler, go with Elvis; if Fraser, The Whale? Or is a decoupling possible? Should you make your pick here what you think would win in the absence of a best actor campaign?

I'm not ready to predict. Just posing the questions...questions which weren't really there before BAFTA, but which I don't think can be ignored at this point.

Return to “95th Academy Awards”