Categories One-by-One: Animated Short

For the films of 2022
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: Categories One-by-One: Animated Short

Post by dws1982 »

Pamela Ribon, writer of and nominee for My Year of Dicks is on this week's episode of This Had Oscar Buzz. It was recorded the week before the nominations were announced. Not one of my favorite episodes, unfortunately, both because the hour-forty minute episode was really a solid hour or so of them just sitting around cracking jokes, and because the movie they covered, Magic Mike XXL, didn't have Oscar buzz in any meaningful way.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Okay, I caught up with the Ostrich movie, and I think it's a worthy one. I still prefer My Year of Dicks, for its narrative density, but an Ostrich win wouldn't bother me deeply.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

1. The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse
2. An Ostrich Told Me...
3. My Year of Dicks
4. Ice Merchants
5. The Flying Sailor
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Mister Tee wrote:It's going to take someone pointing me to the Ostrich movie -- for which there are no online links I can find -- before I can join full-heartedly into this discussion.
PM sent.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It's going to take someone pointing me to the Ostrich movie -- for which there are no online links I can find -- before I can join full-heartedly into this discussion. But I can comment on the other four.

The Flying Sailor was a bit too abstract and ephemeral for me. I had to read afterward what inspired it, and I'm not big on anything where I need a prerequisite to understand it. Some of the images were memorable, but the film as a whole just didn't reach me.

Ice Merchants is a slightly longer, more developed version of the same thing. The lack of dialogue kept me somewhat at a distance from the action, and I didn't find the content that interesting.

The Boy, the Mole etc. was a film that brought out the cantankerous in me. It was obviously made with a good heart, but to a cloying point -- after a while, I felt like I was listening in on someone's daily affirmations. I'm not proud of this reaction, but the overall take I had on it is, I'm not virtuous enough to live in its world.

My Year of Dicks was the first one I went to -- because, who didn't want to know what that title was about? -- and the one I enjoyed most by far. It was the most honest, most psychologically complex, and a lot of it was quite funny (the sex talk from the father had me howling with laughter at her reactions). Last year, everybody argued that Robin Robin was a sure winner because voters always went with the most kid-friendly nominee, but then The Windshield Wiper -- easily the most adult option -- took the prize. I'd be happy to see that happen again.

But maybe the Ostrich will blow me away and change my perspective. I have 5 weeks left for that to happen.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

I think that this is a pretty weak lineup this year. There weren't any that I really liked a lot, though the only one I really disliked was The Flying Sailor. I expected to like The Boy The Mole, The Fox and The Horse, but I found it to be pretty slow and not all that interesting.

My preferences

01. An Ostrich Told Me That the World is Fake and I Think I Believe It
02. Ice Merchants
03. The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse
04. My Year of Dicks
05. The Flying Sailor

The first three are all pretty close in terms of how much I liked them, but I'll give the slight edge to the ostrich.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Animated Short

Post by anonymous1980 »

The nominees:

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse
The Flying Sailor
Ice Merchants
My Year of Dicks
An Ostrich Told Me That The World Is Fake and I Think I Believe It

Okay. I've seen all of these so let me kick off these series!

The Boy, The Mole... is the most high profile of the bunch. It's the most kid-friendly. It's streaming on AppleTV+. It's got celebrity voices and is executive produced by J.J. Abrams. It's the longest of the bunch. But it can be very divisive. There are people who find it warm, beautiful and moving but there are people who may find it sappy, manipulative and simplistic. I've seen reactions of both but its high profile COULD propel it to the win. But then again Robin, Robin had a similar profile and that didn't win.

The Flying Sailor is based on a true story of a sailor who was propelled more than 2 kilometers after an explosion in the docks...and survived. This film dramatizes what could have happened in those moments. This film kind of did nothing for me. I mean, I didn't know about the true story UNTIL the end which made what I saw more interesting but, yeah, this is the one I'd be very surprised if it won.

Ice Merchants is about a father and his young son who live on the side of a cliff and jumps and parachutes each day to get ice on the side of the mountain. It has a tear-jerking twist in the end that could win it votes.

My Year of Dicks is a coming of age of story of a teenage girl trying to lose her virginity. It's racy, yes but it's not quite as salacious or graphic as its racy title suggests. It actually turns out to be quite sweet in the end.

An Ostrich Told Me... is the most inventive of the bunch. It's a stop motion animation about a man who works in telemarketing who encounters an ostrich who tells him....that the world is fake, like, it's a stop motion animation film-fake. It has a very inventive, funny and meta concept which could win it a lot of fans and votes.

What will win? I think anything but The Flying Sailor can win. But right now, I think I'll bet on the Ostrich because sometimes you win votes with your quirky titles and it's the most inventive of the bunch as well.

In order of preference AND my prediction:
01. An Ostrich Told Me That the World is Fake and I Think I Believe It
02. The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse
03. Ice Merchants
04. My Year of Dicks
05. The Flying Sailor

Return to “95th Academy Awards”