Boston Society of Film Critics winners

For the films of 2022
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Boston Society of Film Critics winners

Post by Mister Tee »

The best picture choice certainly jumped out as WTF? I see it's got very strong reviews (88 on Metacritic), but not much publicity. Drive My Car of course capitalized on such critics' wins last year, but I don't think Boston alone is enough to make that happen. If anything, RRR seems to be the foreign film grabbing the spotlight.

Yeoh is the clear choice of the groups that don't go with Blanchett, setting the two up as an intriguing matchup that might last all the way down the stretch. I'm a bit surprised Deadwyler hasn't managed a win somewhere.

Banshees continues to make a showing nearly everywhere. It seems to be setting itself up for a likely screenplay prize, and it's not impossible it could parley that (plus Farrell, and maybe supporting actress) into a best picture win. Because, seriously: no film seems like it could win this year, but one of them has to.

The tie under Ensemble seems...um...weird, and I couldn't help feeling the Jackass choice might be a bunch of frat-boy critics thinking, You're supporting your women-only movie, we'll metaphorically moon your choice by supporting the guy-est movie we can find.

A whole bunch of different movies won Cinematography prizes today, not one of which seems likely to make the Academy list.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Boston Society of Film Critics winners

Post by Mister Tee »

Boston started out 1-2 ahead of LA, but somehow has only given out 4 awards and is now on a lunch break. I'll update this one.

Film: Return to Seoul
English-language Film: The Banshees of Inisherin
Actor: Colin Farrell (The Banshees of Inisherin)
Actress: Michelle Yeoh (Everything Everywhere All at Once)
Supporting actor: Ke Huy Quan (Everything Everywhere All at Once)
Supporting actress: Kerry Condon (The Banshees of Inisherin)
Director: Todd Field (TAR)
Ensemble (tie): Women Talking & Jackass Forever (????)
Adapted Screenplay: After Yang
Original Screenplay: The Banshees of Inisherin
Cinematography: Pearl
Score: RRR (runner-up: Women Talking)
Editing (tie): Aftersun & Decision to Leave (this category went six rounds, one reason for the overall slowness)
Animated feature: Turning Red
Documentary: All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
New Filmmaker: Charlotte Wells (Aftersun)

Return to “95th Academy Awards”