Everything Old Is New Again

For the films of 2021
mlrg
Associate

Re: Everything Old Is New Again

Post by mlrg »

Reza wrote:
Sabin wrote:Like, Jessie Buckley for The Lost Daughter or something.
Would be a most deserving win.
x2. Praying for at least a nomination
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:Like, Jessie Buckley for The Lost Daughter or something.
Would be a most deserving win.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Those are some interesting parallels! The notion that the period of time between The Remains of the Day and 1993 and Licorice Pizza and 2021 is terrifying.

You bring up a very good point in the category of Best Supporting Actress. I wasn't cognizant for that Oscar season but it seems as though Winona Ryder was the prohibitive favorite in a film that wasn't widely beloved, although the degree to which it wasn't beloved we probably wouldn't have gauged beyond speculation. It got a DGA nomination over In the Name of the Father, it picked up National Board of Review Awards for Best Director and Supporting Actress, it got four Golden Globe nominations including Picture and Director and a win for Supporting Actress. That's a fairly robust showing. Had the Screen Actor's Guild Awards been in existence back then, perhaps that would've tipped off a relative industry apathy towards the film but I probably would've predicted a Ryder win if not a stronger showing on Oscar morning. If not a Best Picture nomination, then probably Best Director and Best Cinematography. But I digress...

Without comparing the similarities and differences between Ariana DeBose and Winona Ryder, my hunch at this moment is that the industry isn't terribly enamored with West Side Story leaving this category open for an upset. For example, a coattails victory for Kirsten Dunst. Or if BAFTA voters go with an alternative to DeBose, we should probably take that candidate seriously for an upset, regardless of whether they've shown up anywhere else at this point. Like, Jessie Buckley for The Lost Daughter or something.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I love the parallels you found.

I may be one of the few people on this planet who thinks THE PIANO is superior to SCHINDLER'S LIST (which is not a knock on the latter film, I just love the former so much).

I will be particularly pleased to see Campion win her first directing Oscar, and I really hope the telecast producers cut to Spielberg's reaction when her name is called.

I suddenly find myself conflicted since I previously wished WEST SIDE STORY would be shut-out, but now I kind of want it to be nominated in all the major categories just so THE POWER OF THE DOG can beat it again and again and again. :twisted:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Everything Old Is New Again

Post by Big Magilla »

Every year I find parallels to the current year's Oscar contenders in prior year competitions. This year I find an uncanny parallel to 1993.

Let's assume that the five films whose directors have been nominated for this year's DGA will be among the ten nominees for Best Picture. All have parallels to the five Best Picture nominees of 1993.

Two are easy - they were directed by the same nominees, one of whom was the presumptive frontrunner - Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List and Jane Campion's The Piano. They were joined by a film about the Irish troubles in an earlier decade (In the Name of the Father vs Belfast), a popular film based on a previously produced work (The Fugitive based on a popular TV series vs Dune previously made for both film and TV) and a film that takes place half a century earlier (The Remains of the Day vs Licorice Pizza).

Campion's film contained two Oscar winning performances (actresses Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin) vs strong contenders of the opposite sex, Benedict Cumberbatch and Kodi Smit-McPhee, both of whom have won major precursors. Spielberg's contained two Oscar nominated performances (actors Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes) vs potential nominees of the opposite sex, Rachel Ziegler and Ariana DeBose, both of whom have won major precursors.

Two other opposing forces are at work. Best Supporting Actor winner Tommy Lee Jones was the veteran among the nominees while this year's early favorite, Codi Smit-McPhee is one of the youngest potential winners. Best Actor winner Tom Hanks won the first of two awards in his category in two years whereas potential Best Actress winner Olivia Colman could win her second of two in four years.

The only surprise winner of the 1993 acting Oscars was Best Supporting Actress. Could that be the case again this year?

Return to “94th Academy Awards”