Chicago Film Critics winners

For the films of 2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Chicago Film Critics winners

Post by Big Magilla »

How would you do that? Are the old records available or would you have today's academy members rank nominees of the past? f so, you would probably get a different outcome anyway.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wote
The trend is away from West Side Story. It's too soon to say that The Power of the Dog will dominate all the way through awards season, but unless West Side Story rebounds over Christmas (it's in theaters through 1/6/2022), something else will have to emerge or re-emerge as a popular favorite if it isn't going to be Campion's film that wins Best Picture. That would seem to be Belfast, but with the crazy way they count votes now, it could be anything.
Except it won't be anything. It will be between one or two contenders, and potentially the "crazy way they count votes now" resulted in Spotlight and Moonlight winning, which is a net positive. It also potentially would have resulted in Brokeback Mountain winning so generally speaking, I support reimplementing it retroactively throughout history to amends the sins of the past.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The trend is away from West Side Story. It's too soon to say that The Power of the Dog will dominate all the way through awards season, but unless West Side Story rebounds over Christmas (it's in theaters through 1/6/2022), something else will have to emerge or re-emerge as a popular favorite if it isn't going to be Campion's film that wins Best Picture. That would seem to be Belfast, but with the crazy way they count votes now, it could be anything.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Big Magilla wrote: Do we have a trend yet?
The trend I'm seeing is The Power of the Dog dominating the critics list. I'm ready to bet my money on Jane Campion winning best director (and screenplay) at the oscars but I still think the film itself is to dark for the big win.

The thing is, if not The Power of the Dog, which film then? And to answer this question I think we don't have a trend yet.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Interesting. Just two days earlier, West Side Story led with a record 11 nominations but was completely shut out. The Power of the Ddog, which won 7 awards yesterday, came in second in the nominations with 8, losing just one of its bids (Kirsten Dunst to Ruth Negga). Drive My Car, which was the third most nominated film, like West Side Story, failed to win anything. Do we have a trend yet?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Chicago Film Critics winners

Post by Mister Tee »

BEST PICTURE: The Power of the Dog
BEST ACTOR: Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
BEST ACTRESS: Kristen Stewart, Spencer
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Ruth Negga, Passing
MOST PROMISING PERFORMER: Alana Haim, Licorice Pizza
BEST DIRECTOR: Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
MILOS STEHLIK AWARD FOR BREAKTHROUGH FILMMAKER: Michael Sarnoski, Pig
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Licorice Pizza by Paul Thomas Anderson
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: The Power of the Dog by Jane Campion
BEST ART DIRECTION/PRODUCTION DESIGN: The French Dispatch
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: The Power of the Dog, Ari Wegner
BEST COSTUME DESIGN: Spencer, Jacqueline Durran
BEST ANIMATED FILM: Flee
BEST DOCUMENTARY: Summer of Soul (…Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: Drive My Car
BEST USE OF VISUAL EFFECTS: Dune
BEST EDITING: The French Dispatch, Andrew Weisblum
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: The Power of the Dog, Jonny Greenwood

Return to “94th Academy Awards”