DGA Nominees

For the films of 2019
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: DGA Nominees

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:They were very cozy at the Golden Globes.
Actually I think Greta Gerwig had a baby recently. I didn't give a thought to who the father was. Clearly whatever may have happened in the past they are together.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They were very cozy at the Golden Globes.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:I had the feeling this morning with the BAFTA nominations, and now these, that rather than put a wedge between Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig by choosing one over the other for the fifth slot, that they deliberately went for someone else. I can't wait to see where Oscar lands on this one.
I wouldn't think so. It's not like they have some kind of meeting between members and they collectively pick the nominees. If Baumbach & Gerwig were not mature enough to live with one of them getting nominated over the over, well that's their personal problem. I thought they broken up a couple of years ago myself and had no idea that they were back together (again?).
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I had the feeling this morning with the BAFTA nominations, and now these, that rather than put a wedge between Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig by choosing one over the other for the fifth slot, that they deliberately went for someone else. I can't wait to see where Oscar lands on this one.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sonic Youth wrote
It's their play for diversity.

They saw the outcry after the Bafta noms were released and in a panic decided to nominate the Maori filmmaker. Granted, he played Adolf Hitler in the film, but still....
JEWISH Maori filmmaker. Get your diversity right.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote: It could still be Taika Watiki. I can't help but feel as though Fox Searchlight has stumbled the release more than you're indicating. It's only grossed $21 million thus far. That's lousy. But Watiki is a popular Hollywood campaigner. The fact that Watiki made it into the final five past Greta Gerwig, Noah Baumbach, and Todd Phillips says something.
It's their play for diversity.

They saw the outcry after the Bafta noms were released and in a panic decided to nominate the Maori filmmaker. Granted, he played Adolf Hitler in the film, but still....
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
So, the BAFTA splurge on Joker is not necessarily indicative of a major Oscar run. It's doing better than Black Panther last year, so it'll likely slip into best picture, but a lot of those supportive categories (directing & writing) may be beyond its reach. (I have to say, when I saw the BAFTA explosion in the early morning hours, I started to wonder if everyone had just forgotten about the film's Metacritic score.)
Todd Phillips is on the bubble for a Best Director nomination but I think a writing nomination is pretty assured considering the competition. It's likely in the third or fourth position behind The Irishman and Jojo Rabbit and maybe Little Women. I'd be surprised if both A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and The Two Popes beat it out.

As it is, I'd ask which supportive categories are beyond its reach? Score, Cinematography, Film Editing, Production Design, Makeup, or Sound? If it misses half of those and picks up Best Picture, Actor, and Adapted Screenplay, then it stands at six nominations. That's not a bad floor.

Mister Tee wrote
I said at Toronto that the Jojo Rabbit trajectory was bringing The Shawshank Redemption to mind, and it continues on that path -- doing well enough but not spectacular at the box office, and now getting a DGA nod over better films. If it continues on in this vein, it'll make best picture, but be the director replaced by the directors' branch. By whom? Pedro? Greta? I always bet on previous nominees for that spot.
Except with it goes the other way, like Lenny Abrahamson over Ridley Scott, or Pawel Pawlikowski over... I don't know, anyone else?

It could still be Taika Watiki. I can't help but feel as though Fox Searchlight has stumbled the release more than you're indicating. It's only grossed $21 million thus far. That's lousy. But Watiki is a popular Hollywood campaigner. The fact that Watiki made it into the final five past Greta Gerwig, Noah Baumbach, and Todd Phillips says something.

Mister Tee wrote
Well, first-time director sure lets DGA fly its diversity flag. I have no idea who'll win there.
I'd bet on Honey Boy. But it could just as easily be Queen & Slim.
Last edited by Sabin on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I'm happy to see Joe Talbot nominated. Not so happy to see Greta Gerwig missing. Indifferent about Todd Phillips/Joker.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film for 2019
Bong Joon Hoo, “Parasite”
Sam Mendes, “1917”
Martin Scorsese, “The Irishman”
Quentin Tarantino, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
Taika Waititi, “Jojo Rabbit”

Outstanding Directorial Achievement of a First-Time Feature Film Director for 2019
Mati Diop, “Atlantics”
Alma Har’el, “Honey Boy”
Melina Matsoukas, “Queen & Slim”
Joe Talbot, “The Last Black Man in San Francisco”
Tyler Nilson and Michael Schwartz, “The Peanut Butter Falcon”
I guess MARRIAGE STORY is not as strong as I had assumed. Two DGA nominees last year were dropped by Oscar (one of them quite surprisingly), and the two alternatives were far more art-house than the mainstream snubs. I think Baumbach and Gerwig could still make it, with Waititi the most vulnerable DGA nominee but Mendes not locked in (any more than Bradley Cooper was last year).

While I think the first-time category is a little odd (particularly when you have nominees showing up in the main slate), I do appreciate seeing them recognizing some really great films. It is also the only place women seem to be showing up so hopefully this will help them when they seek funding for their second film or gain attention of studios looking to hire a director onto a project.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So, the BAFTA splurge on Joker is not necessarily indicative of a major Oscar run. It's doing better than Black Panther last year, so it'll likely slip into best picture, but a lot of those supportive categories (directing & writing) may be beyond its reach. (I have to say, when I saw the BAFTA explosion in the early morning hours, I started to wonder if everyone had just forgotten about the film's Metacritic score.)

I said at Toronto that the Jojo Rabbit trajectory was bringing The Shawshank Redemption to mind, and it continues on that path -- doing well enough but not spectacular at the box office, and now getting a DGA nod over better films. If it continues on in this vein, it'll make best picture, but be the director replaced by the directors' branch. By whom? Pedro? Greta? I always bet on previous nominees for that spot.

Well, first-time director sure lets DGA fly its diversity flag. I have no idea who'll win there.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

DGA Nominees

Post by Sabin »

Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film for 2019
Bong Joon Hoo, “Parasite”
Sam Mendes, “1917”
Martin Scorsese, “The Irishman”
Quentin Tarantino, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
Taika Waititi, “Jojo Rabbit”

Outstanding Directorial Achievement of a First-Time Feature Film Director for 2019
Mati Diop, “Atlantics”
Alma Har’el, “Honey Boy”
Melina Matsoukas, “Queen & Slim”
Joe Talbot, “The Last Black Man in San Francisco”
Tyler Nilson and Michael Schwartz, “The Peanut Butter Falcon”
"How's the despair?"

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”