rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: ASC Nominations

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Mister Tee wrote:​Spotlight Award
Jarin Blaschke for The Lighthouse
Natasha Braier, ASC, ADF for Honey Boy
Jasper Wolf, NSC for Monos
All three of these are far more deserving of being recornized in the general category than four out of five of the actual nominees (the exception being 1917).

If this is one of those years when the ASC and Oscar match exactly, it will be one of the most boring lineups in decades. :?

I will say last year a World War 2 movie in the cinematography category gave us one of the most surprising out-of-nowhere nominations I have ever witnessed in my several decades of Oscar predicting...so perhaps A HIDDEN LIFE still has a chance. :wink:
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: ASC Nominations

Post by Sabin »

I thought they might favor Parasite over Ford v Ferrari but pretty much what everyone expected.

Robert Richardson has a weird relationship with the American Society of Cinematographers. While he's won three Oscars over the years, he's never picked up a competitive ASC trophy (he got a Lifetime Achievement Award last year). He has nine (soon to be ten) Oscar nominations and eleven ASC nominations but the overlap is a little scattered. Only six (Hugo, Inglourious Basterds, The Aviator, Snow Falling on Cedars, JFK, and Born on the Fourth of July) were up for both. Perhaps he's a bigger threat to win than we might have predicted?

Deakins on the other hand has fifteen competitive ASC nominations and five wins (The Shawshank Redemption, The Man Who Wasn't t There, Skyfall, Blade Runner, + a Lifetime Achievement Award) and fourteen Oscar nominations (missing only Revolutionary Road, for the same year he was up for The Reader) and one win for Blade Runner. I have to imagine he's still the favorite to win both the ASC award and the Oscar.

For the Spotlight Award, I have to imagine this will go to The Lighthouse by virtue of it being a black and white film.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

ASC Nominations

Post by Mister Tee »

​Five nominees in the Theatrical Release category and three nominees in the Spotlight Award category were revealed at the ASC Clubhouse today.

The American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) has nominated eight feature films in the Theatrical and Spotlight categories of the 34th ASC Outstanding Achievement Awards. Winners will be named at the organization’s annual awards on January 25 at the Ray Dolby Ballroom at Hollywood & Highland.

The announcement was made at the ASC Clubhouse this afternoon by Awards Committee Chair Don McCuaig, ASC.

This year’s nominees are:

Theatrical Release
Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC for 1917
Phedon Papamichael, ASC, GSC for Ford v Ferrari
Rodrigo Prieto, ASC, AMC for The Irishman
Robert Richardson, ASC for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Lawrence Sher, ASC for Joker

Spotlight Award
Jarin Blaschke for The Lighthouse
Natasha Braier, ASC, ADF for Honey Boy
Jasper Wolf, NSC for Monos

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”