Oscar Predictions Thread - TIFF to NBR

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Oscar Predictions Thread - TIFF to NBR

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:I was aware of September and can remember that happening at the time. Sam Shepard was in the original version and replaced by Sam Waterson. I think Denholm Elliott may have replaced someone else but I can't find anything to confirm this.

According to Woody Allen the original version of September was destroyed. I would be curious to see it.
Denholm Elliott replaced Charles Durning. Before Sam Waterston replaced Sam Shepard, Shepard replaced Christopher Walken. Scenes with Walken were re-shot with Waterston before the whole thing was re-shot with the other actors. At the time, it was O'Sullivan's replacement that got all the attention, for obvious reasons. Allegedly, Allen did the second complete version without telling the other actors (O'Sullivan, Durning, Shepard) that they had been replaced. At least they found out before the film came out, unlike poor Adrien Brody who didn't find out his lead role in The Thin Red Line had been cut to ribbons by Terrence Malick until he attended the film's premiere with his parents.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:This is not unprecedented.

In 1987, Woody Allen re-shot September with Elaine Stritch replacing Mia Farrow's mom, Maureen O'Sullivan, albeit with a less-tight release schedule. In 1969, Robert Mulligan re-shot Ruth Gordon's scenes as Michael Sarrazin's grandmother in The Pursuit of Happiness with Ruth White who was dying of cancer. She passed away in December, 1969. The film was not released until February, 1971.

News articles say that the decision to re-shoot Spacey's scenes with Plummer in Scott's film had the unanimous backing of everyone connected the film including Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams who must re-shoot their scenes with him. Spacey only worked ten days on the film, so the re-shoot shouldn't be all that difficult. Re-editing both the film and the trailer for a December 22nd opening will be tough, but if anyone can do it, Scott can.

Plummer was terrific earlier this year as Kaiser Wilhelm in the little scene The Exception aka The Kaiser's Last Kiss. He also plays Scrooge in the upcoming The Man Who Invented Christmas with Dan Stevens as Dickens. He turns 88 on December 13th. Heretofore unexpected year-end awards recognition would make a nice birthday present, although the film will be released too late for most critics' groups.
I was aware of September and can remember that happening at the time. Sam Shepard was in the original version and replaced by Sam Waterson. I think Denholm Elliott may have replaced someone else but I can't find anything to confirm this.

According to Woody Allen the original version of September was destroyed. I would be curious to see it.

So Marky Mark agreed that Spacey's role should be reshot. I suppose his concerned about what "god" might think of him appearing in a film with a sexual predator: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/mark-w ... 201894672/

I do hope 'god' was taking a nap when all this was happening for Marky's sake:

http://defamer.gawker.com/here-are-othe ... 1668011058
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This is not unprecedented.

In 1987, Woody Allen re-shot September with Elaine Stritch replacing Mia Farrow's mom, Maureen O'Sullivan, albeit with a less-tight release schedule. In 1969, Robert Mulligan re-shot Ruth Gordon's scenes as Michael Sarrazin's grandmother in The Pursuit of Happiness with Ruth White who was dying of cancer. She passed away in December, 1969. The film was not released until February, 1971.

News articles say that the decision to re-shoot Spacey's scenes with Plummer in Scott's film had the unanimous backing of everyone connected the film including Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams who must re-shoot their scenes with him. Spacey only worked ten days on the film, so the re-shoot shouldn't be all that difficult. Re-editing both the film and the trailer for a December 22nd opening will be tough, but if anyone can do it, Scott can.

Plummer was terrific earlier this year as Kaiser Wilhelm in the little scene The Exception aka The Kaiser's Last Kiss. He also plays Scrooge in the upcoming The Man Who Invented Christmas with Dan Stevens as Dickens. He turns 88 on December 13th. Heretofore unexpected year-end awards recognition would make a nice birthday present, although the film will be released too late for most critics' groups.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

On one hand it's Sony's money and at least it good to hear that Christopher Plummer was Ridley Scott's first choice anyway.

But it's a very radical thing to do. I admit that the film probably would have sinked without a trace at the box office with Spacey's name on it but it does seem over the top. Is this going to become the new norm? Maybe the studio's can erase Spacey from all the films he has appeared in?

There is no doubt Spacey is a predator and a creep but there are lots of them in the film industry worldwide. We just don't know who most of them are.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's amazing to me that Christopher Plummer, star of one of the all-time most successful films, The Sound of Music, isn't a bigger name than star of a couple of minor Oscar nominees that weren't that big of hits.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Mister Tee wrote:
dws1982 wrote:Not sure if it was every going to be a contender (or will be when it's seen), but all of Kevin Spacey's scenes in All The Money In the World are going to be reshot with Christopher Plummer in the role, and it's still scheduled to be released this year.

Maybe if he's good, Plummer might manage to get a Supporting Actor nomination--being game to jump in at the last minute like this might help.
Not that you'd make up something like this, but this strikes me as such a ludicrous idea I had to go to Variety to check that it was for real.

I don't see how this is possible; December 22nd is only 6 weeks away, and there have to be multiple locations involved. The whole thing smacks of desperation; and doesn't suggest this will be done with loving care. (Of course, it's not like any other alternatives are appealing, given the full-on stench surrounding Spacey at this point.)
They could just shoot Christopher Plummer in front of a green screen and digitally insert him in all the Kevin Spacey scenes. The actual shoot would only take a couple days and editing and the visual effects work will take up the rest. If they do it this way, could they make it look seamless in six weeks?

I just found out Christopher Plummer was actually Ridley Scott's first choice to play J. Paul Getty but the head of Sony insisted on a "bigger name", Kevin Spacey.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:Not sure if it was every going to be a contender (or will be when it's seen), but all of Kevin Spacey's scenes in All The Money In the World are going to be reshot with Christopher Plummer in the role, and it's still scheduled to be released this year.

Maybe if he's good, Plummer might manage to get a Supporting Actor nomination--being game to jump in at the last minute like this might help.
Not that you'd make up something like this, but this strikes me as such a ludicrous idea I had to go to Variety to check that it was for real.

I don't see how this is possible; December 22nd is only 6 weeks away, and there have to be multiple locations involved. The whole thing smacks of desperation; and doesn't suggest this will be done with loving care. (Of course, it's not like any other alternatives are appealing, given the full-on stench surrounding Spacey at this point.)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A remarkable story. I will see it on principle now.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Not sure if it was every going to be a contender (or will be when it's seen), but all of Kevin Spacey's scenes in All The Money In the World are going to be reshot with Christopher Plummer in the role, and it's still scheduled to be released this year.

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Thanks Sabin.

I'll go see it then and use a freebie. Having watched the original not that long ago I'll be able to spot most of the differences.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Precious Doll wrote
Does anyone think that Murder On the Orient Express will be a competitor in some of the technical awards or costume design?
Not really. It looks like a flop. But I don't have a handle on those categories this year at all. I suppose it's possible it ends up with an award for sound mixing or editing. After all, it's a damn train.

For Best Production Design, I'd imagine the nominees will be Blade Runner 2049, Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, The Post, and The Shape of Water simply based on what we've seen nominated in the past. Joe Wright, Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg, Guillermo Del Toro, and, y'know, Blade Runner. I haven't the slightest idea how Dunkirk could be nominated but I'm still a bit baffled by how Inception and Interstellar and The Dark Knight got in, so never again.

Most of my alternate contenders fill Best Costume Design, like Beauty and the Beast and The Beguiled, as well as Phantom Thread and Victoria and Abdul. I'm also predicting Darkest Hour. I have no idea what will win in this lineup. It's always most costumes, not best, so I'd imagine it's The Beguiled. Could Murder on the Orient Express get in? Sure. So could Victoria and Abdul, Wonderstruck, anything really.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Does anyone think that Murder On the Orient Express will be a competitor in some of the technical awards or costume design?

It's opening this week and I really don't want to see it with all that awful looking CGI, a train carriage that looks almost as big as a football stadium and a cast (with the exceptions of Josh Gad, Derek Jacobi & Willem Dafoe) that have zero appeal to me, but if it people think it has a strong chance of an Oscar nomination I'll make the effort to fit it in.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I... actually didn't think that would happen. Buy I agree that it was probably the intent.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Okri wrote:So, the LA, National Society, New York and Boston Film Critics have banned all Disney films from awards consideration until Disney lifts the ban on the LA Times attending press screenings. Don't think it actually changes anything beyond forcing them past Coco for animated film, but that's 2017 for you.
Actually, it had the greater effect of getting Disney to back down, which I assume was the intent:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/busi ... share&_r=0

Imagine if the White House press corps had shown similar solidarity at some point.
ThePianist
Graduate

Post by ThePianist »

Sabin wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote
Kind of unfair to the film if that happens (Haven't seen it but I am reading the book) since it IS about a consensual relationship. If The Reader can get nominated and win an Oscar, Call Me By Your Name sure deserves a chance. Though there hasn't been much objection to the film's subject matter from people who HAVE seen it.
Don't be a Pollyannaish, Irvin. You know I'm not suggesting this is my opinion, and don't imagine for a second that people will turn a blind eye to the subject matter in the same way they did 'The Reader.' FOX News is looking for every opportunity to turn the subject matter away from Trump. This past week, they spent twenty minutes on a cheeseburger emoji. They will turn 'Call Me By Your Name' into a conservative rallying point.

I think this film might be in big trouble.
Like I said earlier; 'Fox News' won't touch the film's chances, James Woods just proved that. (Especially, with Liberal-Progressive-Anti-Trump Hollywood being a good portion in The Academy.)

Return to “90th Predictions and Precursors”