38%
Dean Stockwell - Married to the Mob
14%

Total votes: 29

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Supporting Actor 1988

Post by Big Magilla »

I absolutely loathed Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda. All I remember of his role is that he played a silly ass who who makes fun of poor Michael Palin's stutter.

Dean Stockwell, on the other hand, who was easily the best child actor of his day and a wonderful actor as a young man year later, peaked as a character actor as "Tony the Tiger", the mob boss in Married to the Mob. He enthusuastically gets my vote.

Martin Landau was terrific in Tucker: The Man and His Dream in which Stockwell also gave a memorable performance.

River Phoenix, who may well have been the best child-young teen actor since Stocwell gives a terrific performance in Running on Empty and Alec Guinness is splendid returning to Dickens in Litle Dorrit.

The fifth slot should have gone to either Michael Keaton in Beetlejuice or Tim Robbins in Bull Durham, both of which were splendid in endearing comedies and infinitely superior to anything Kevin Kline did in teh over-rated A Fish Called Wanda
MovieFan
Graduate

Post by MovieFan »

Unlike Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny, Kline was incredibly deserving and did broad comedy incredibly funny and makes Otto the most memorable character in the movie and of this line up. He gets my vote here.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Overall a reasonable line up and whilst I admire Kevin Kline I didn't like his performance in very entertaining A Fish Called Wanda. I found him so abrasive. Such a shame that the Academy couldn't find a spot for Divine's wonderful work in Hairspray.

My choices:

1. Christopher Lloyd for Track 29
2. Divine for Hairspray
3. Ian Holm for Another Woman
4. Dean Stockwell for Married to the Mob
5. Francois Cluzet for The Story of Women
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

1987 and 1988 are great years for movies that didn't win or were nominated for Oscars. Tim Robbins is glorious as "Nuke" LaLoosh and I doubt a moment's traction was picked up for him as was Kevin Costner's and Susan Sarandon's amazing performances.

I'm not voting. I haven't seen Tucker: A Man and His Dream, Married to the Mob, or Little Dorritt, but choosing between River Phoenix and Kevin Kline isn't easy for me. Well actually, it is. River Phoenix gives one of the tenderest, most magnificent portrayals of adolescence I've ever seen. Some days I thing Running on Empty is Sidney Lumet's best film since 12 Angry Men. Such a loss of talent!

But Kevin Kline is so unfairly dismissed by so many people I admire. I love his gonzo unbridled id. I have a very soft spot in my heart for A Fish Called Wanda and one moment in particular that represents such trust in the audience: when Jamie Lee Curtis asks an off-camera John Cleese "Are you rich, Archie?", it represents as much of a redemptive moment for her as she is likely possible that she would consider love [with a rich man, admittedly] over her chosen path.

No vote. Were I to, it would be Phoenix.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

My picks for 1988:

1. Kevin Kline, A Fish Called Wanda
2. Tim Robbins, Bull Durham
3. River Phoenix, Running on Empty
4. Joss Ackland, White Mischief
5. Dean Stockwell, Married to the Mob

The 6th Spot: Alec Guinness, Little Dorritt
ksrymy
Adjunct

Best Supporting Actor 1988

Post by ksrymy »

I'm expecting the veteran, Oscarless Stockwell to run away with this one but I'm going to have to vote for Kevin Kline.

This is the second Supporting Actor award I'd give to him, the first being for his work in Sophie's Choice. His Otto West is just hysterical. He hits every note, his best being among playing gay for Michael Palin's shouldabeen character ("Don't touch him! He's miiiiiiiiine!" being among my favorites). He works so well with Jamie Lee Curtis and has such fantastic delivery that he may give my personal favorite win in this category but far from the best.

River Phoenix is alright at the migratory kid fed up with everything.

I think Martin Landau is worth all three of his nominations. He is a magnificent, underrated actor but this is the least of his nominations.

I still need to see Little Dorritt but that demands eight hours of my life. I blame Charles Dickens and loyal British adaptors.

My picks
4) Dean Stockwell - Married to the Mob
5) Tim Robbins - Bull Durham

6) Michael Keaton - Beetlejuice <-- I'm expecting to be degraded a bit for this selection, but it's such a great performance. I don't know why he doesn't get more credit.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”