17%
Jack Palance - Sudden Fear
11%

Total votes: 18

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Supporting Actor 1952

Post by Big Magilla »

McLaglen is the best of the nominees, though had his The Quiet Man co-star Barry Fitzgerald also been nominated, it would have been a tougher deicison.

Donald O'Connor in Singin' in the Rain and Arthur Kennedy in Racho Notorious and Bend of the River were also strong contenders.

Of the actual nominees, winner Anthony Quinn was a decent choice based on his longevity, but his role in Viva Zapata! is hardly larger than any of his roles from teh mid-thirties on.

Richard Burton had at least as large a part as star Olivia de Havilland did in Cousin Rachel, though both are justly remembered for far better performances.

Jack Plance, beieve it or not, like his character in Sudden Fear had been a matineee idol on Broadway, which seems almost inconceivable now. Nevertheless he had been Brando's replacement in A Streetcar Named Deisre. But what, exactly, does he do in this potboiler that merits Oscar consideration? Nothing that I can see.

Arthur Hunnicutt is at his folksy best in The Big Sky but it' nothing that really merits awards consideration either.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Best Supporting Actor 1952

Post by ksrymy »

The only nominee I haven't seen is Arthur Hunnicutt.

I actually really like this year's nominees but I don't think any of them should have won. I'll talk more about this topic later. I need to run a few errands now or else I'll never get started.

In short, I consider O'Connor supporting (contrary to what the Globes thought) but will vote for Victor McLaglen's greatest performance.

1. Donald O'Connor - Singin' in the Rain
2. Victor McLaglen - The Quiet Man
3. Barry Fitzgerald - The Quiet Man
4. Dick Powell - The Bad and Beautiful
5. Anthony Quinn - Viva Zapata!
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”