R.I.P. Roger Williams

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: R.P. Roger Williams

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't think it sounds too much like Winter Wind, but I'm not a music critic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phrTbHBzKIc

Of course, that he played this on "Hour of Power" makes me not much like him as a person, but he was a talented pianist.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:It was notable -- like most of his stuff -- for being VERY LOUD. His basic approach to piano seemed to be "pound the hell out of the thing".
Best laugh I've had this week. :D

I hope one of our next Oscar polls will be Best Song. That"Born Free" defeated "Alfie" is a crime against humanity.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Just listened to Autumn Wind for the first time. Chopin should sue.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And, of course, for the purposes of this board, Williams had the hit recording of Born Free. It was notable -- like most of his stuff -- for being VERY LOUD. His basic approach to piano seemed to be "pound the hell out of the thing".
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Roger Williams

Post by Big Magilla »

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Roger Williams, the virtuoso pianist who topped Billboard charts with his hit recording of "Autumn Leaves" in the 1950s and played for nine presidents during a long career, has died. He was 87.

His former publicist Rob Wilcox says Williams died Saturday at his home in Los Angeles of complications from pancreatic cancer.

Williams was known as an adept improviser who effortlessly switched between classical, jazz and pop styles.

His 1958 hit "Autumn Leaves" is the only instrumental song to reach number one on the Billboard pop charts. It remains the best-selling piano record of all time.

Nicknamed the "pianist to the presidents," Williams played for every commander in chief from Harry Truman to George W. Bush.

Return to “Broadcast Media”