Tom O'Neil Leaves The L.A. Times

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Tom O'Neil Leaves The L.A. Times

Post by Sabin »

We don't always get a massive influx of new members, but the ones that we get are very worthwhile, I must say. At least the ones that are only one person.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Tom O'Neil Leaves The L.A. Times

Post by Big Magilla »

We're still the best as well as the best kept secret on the web.
Damien
Laureate

Tom O'Neil Leaves The L.A. Times

Post by Damien »

It's hard to believe it now, but there was actually a time -- it was a simpler more naive time -- when there used to be impassioned discussions here about the Gold Derby discussion site and how foolish it was compared to the UAADB. Now, I have to believe that no one's given a thought to that clown Tom O'Neil at least since this past year's Oscars. Anyway, Sasha Stone reports O'Neil is leaving the L.A. Times and going back to Gold Derby, a decision he seems to say was his alone:

Here's Sasha:
Tom O’Neil has officially left the LA Times and explains his reasons why — Patrick Goldstein, who used to write about the Oscars before a whole industry sprouted up, is named as one of his replacements. Oh Patrick. Oh Patrick. Oh Patrick. This is going to be a fun Oscar year if the likes of Patrick Goldstein are going to take off their flip flops and get into the hot tub with the rest of us grease monkeys. The mind reels at the possibilities, the insults that will fly, the bitterness, the competition. Just another day in the blog eat blog world. Tom’s reasoning:

But human nature being what it is, I always privately yearned to resurrect my dear old Gold Derby, of course, and I had ambitious plans for it. I wanted to make it more interactive –- to empower users to make their own predictions and compete against the experts. Last year, when I told my Times bosses that I planned to do just that, they were surprisingly supportive and offered to help. They took on the job of ad sales and did a terrific job while I remained at Latimes.com writing about Oscars, Emmys, Grammys and more.

So look for Tom’s insights and more predictions over at Gold Derby. What I like about this move is that there are only a few of us independents left out there.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “General Off-Topic”