No votes
Peter O'Toole - The Stunt Man
10%

Total votes: 31

ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: Best Actor 1980

Post by ksrymy »

The Original BJ wrote:I'm in the middle of watching Berlin Alexanderplatz right now!
I asked because, I too, am currently watching it.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

How funny you should ask this -- I'm in the middle of watching Berlin Alexanderplatz right now!

I know it was released in the US in 1983. I have no idea if it was Oscar-eligible.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

I don't know when it was available for Academy consideration (or even if it was since it was originally a TV series) but does anyone know if there was any talk this year or the years after about Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz? I ask this thinking that Günter Lamprecht is the only person I can think of in 1980 that could possibly best De Niro's performance in Raging Bull.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Yes, overlooking the great Donald Sutherland - at his best, and the best of the cast of Ordinary People - in order to find room for Jack Lemmon's embarassing turn in Tribute was a crime, one of those crimes the Academy is famous for and doesn't seem especially ashamed of. One can only hope - though I'm not sure he does - that Sutherland, a brilliant, brilliant actor, with a wonderful and varied international career (maybe too varied and too international by the Academy's standards) will one day get at least a Christopher-Plummer-like nomination.

John Hurt is a very good actor, as we all know, but as others have said at least part of his effective Elephant Man performance is due to his make-up (for those days, by the way, an excellent job).

In other years, Peter O'Toole and Robert Duvall would have both been deserving winners. The Great Santini was strictly tv-movie material galvanized by the acting from its cast, and Duvall's nomination was a sure sign that sooner or later, in the right role, he would have won. The Stunt Man - completely forgotten today, at least in Europe - was considered a potential "cult movie" at the time; the cult didn't last long but the movie is actually good, and quite original.

But in 1980, the only possible winner could Robert De Niro in Raging Bull.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

My view regarding Ordinary People is that I would nominate Timothy Hutton for Best Actor, nominate Judd Hirsch for Best Supporting Actor, nominate and give Best Supporting Actor to Donald Sutherland, and nominate and give Best Supporting Actress to Mary Tyler Moore.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for Duvall in what was his bst performance ever. Interestingly The Grest Santini, as I recall, layed jsut a few theatres in the South in 1979 to so-so business, then was shown on HBO where it sparked interest among the influnetial big city critics and was subsequently shown in theatres in major cities. It must have somehow fallen between the cracks of the Oscar rules.

Duvall was De Niro's only real comeptition, although OO'Toole and Hurt are also impressive. As for Lemmon's outrageous nomination at the expense of Sutherland, I can't put any better than Tee already has.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

For those who wonder why I disliked so much of Jack Lemmon's work in this period (China Syndrome and Missing aside), put yourself through Tribute sometime. It's a grueling sentiment-fest, with Lemmon exuding self-pity from every pore. It's an absolute disgrace he got a nomination for this, especially at the expense of Donald Sutherland, who is maybe the best thing about Ordinary People. Sutherland is quoted in Damien's book as saying "I know that community and I didn't expect a nomination", which suggests the blackballing was completely personal. To omit the lead character from the year's top film -- and such a wonderful, tender performance -- does seem rather specific, especially in favor of bad work in a lousy flop. Put this alongside Bogart/Sierra Madre in the category of unfathomable snubs.

The rest of the list was solid, though I always felt John Hurt's nomination was more for make-up than anything else. I didn't really get that much sense of John Merrick as a human being from Hurt's work, buried as it was behind that ton of Max Factor. Did like the movie alot, though -- hiring David Lynch for the project was an inspired idea, as he brought a real sense of wonder that went way beyond what similar material had managed on Broadway.

I think Peter O'Toole is a treasure in The Stunt Man. The movie is zippy fun despite its somewhat pretentious/arty framework, and every moment O'Toole is on-screen seems a gift. He's well worth considering, though not quite at winner level this year.

1980 was, overall, such a dismal year that a number of small films that were on the point of going straight to TV were instead released by studios in hopes of acting nominations -- Resurrection, The Stunt Man, Melvin and Howard and The Great Santini all fell into this sleeper category, and all scored nominations in the end (in fact, think of what the year's list would have looked like without them). The Great Santini was among the weaker of them as an overall work -- it seemed hopelessly trapped in 50s dramaturgy -- but Robert Duvall gave a truly dynamic performance that transcended the material, or at least made one willing to overlook it. I honestly think Duvall's three-years-later-Oscar was set up by this effort.

But of course neither he nor anyone else was going to win in 1980 when stacked against Robert DeNiro's legendary Raging Bull. I've never been part of the "Raging Bull is a full-on-masterpiece" crowd -- I think it's a hugely impressive piece of filmmaking, but I don't find its content commensurate with its technique. But it's impossible to deny a performance as bold, as unyielding and as varied as DeNiro's. When DeNiro dies, people will gloss over his later, unimpressive years, and rightfully highlight the twin towers of his acting career: Taxi Driver and Raging Bull. He's the clear choice here.
mayukh
Graduate

Post by mayukh »

It was a crime that Donald Sutherland was not nominated for his beautiful work. Tommy Lee Jones was also much, much better than Sissy Spacek in a less showy role. And Paul Le Mat was fantastic in Melvin and Howard. Nicholson. etcetc. The list goes on.

I haven’t seen Tribute and I don’t really want to. I doubt it’d change my vote. Hurt is appropriately moving in The Elephant Man but I’ve always viewed this work as minor, rising slightly above the level of competence to serve his film well. De Niro is of course very, very good in Raging Bull and he is one of this category’s more impressive winners, but he's not my winner simply because this year offers two performances by thesps I've liked in the past but never been as excited by.

Peter O’Toole is brilliant in The Stunt Man, appropriately conveying his character’s mix of sleaze and charisma with such energy and fearlessness. The screen just lights up when he's around. I don't even know how else to put it. It's also a very interesting film that I like very much, of course not always successful but still so engrossing and, thematically speaking, well-handled. (Barbara Hershey, so luminous and beautiful, deserved a nom in support. Or lead? I don't know where I'd place her.)

But my vote goes to Duvall. I think it was Stanley Kauffman who said he was all wrong for the part – he sounded like a guy from the city when he was supposed to be down-home and All-American, through and through – and he sort of is. But you can’t take your eyes off him. Never, I think, did Duvall’s acting have such force and life and complexity – his interactions with the oldest son (who was also splendid and totally should've won in Support – well, either him or Pesci) were very touching, you can feel how quietly disgusted this man must be with himself, how insecure he is about his masculinity, and you can point to where all his honest intentions became misguided. This is very remarkable work.
Last edited by mayukh on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Haven't seen Jack Lemmon. I can't imagine he was much of a sure thing over Donald Sutherland, or that it was much of a total reinvention on his part. I'm going to assume seeing as how he likely won't get a single vote that I don't need to see his performance...

...also considering that he isn't Robert De Niro in Raging Bull.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

My picks for 1980:

Robert De Niro, Raging Bull
Robert Duvall, The Great Santini
Peter O'Toole, The Stunt Man
Donald Sutherland, Ordinary People
John Hurt, The Elephant Man

The 6th Spot: Jack Nicholson, The Shining
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Robert De Niro - Raging Bull
MovieFan
Graduate

Post by MovieFan »

Robert De Niro- Raging Bull
ksrymy
Adjunct

Best Actor 1980

Post by ksrymy »

There's really no use in even having this poll. It's going to be a landslide victory for De Niro.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”