Nashville
43%
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
28%

Total votes: 40

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Jaws gets my vote! This is one of the most compelling thrillers ever. Sure, it has its shock value from scattered shark attacks, but there are some marvelous scenes between the three male leads that make it get under your skin, with talk about the damage sharks can do. One of Spielberg's strongest directing jobs, and he missed out on a nomination.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:and Dog Day Afternoon is trash -- and no one made uglier movies than Sidney Lumet in his prime.
Surely this was not Lumet's prime?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Barry Lyndon and Nashville are both probably among the 10 best films ever nominated by the Academy. I went with the former, as it has less votes.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Jaws is the only one I liked even a little, but I have absolutely no desire to sit through it again. Nashville is Altman's cynicism at its most distressingly facile. Barry Lyndon is Kubrick's usual mopey snit about how awful humankind is, this time with the self-indulgence of period trappings and photography by candlelight. Cuckoo's Nest is self-important nonsense, and Dog Day Afternoon is trash -- and no one made uglier movies than Sidney Lumet in his prime.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Voted for Jaws!

Have never understood the facination for Nashville. Cuckoo's Nest is ok because of Nicholson. Barry Lyndon was a ''pretty'' bore. What is Dog doing in the best picture linup?

These tiltles all appear on my own list for 1975. Obviously not a favourite year for me!
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I´m going with Forman´s pic.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Nashville.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Haven't seen 'Barry Lyndon' yet. My bad. Will withstain until then. Tentative pick is 'Nashville'.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”