Behind the scenes

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:My reaction, too. I guess they're trying to appeal to today's teenagers with Taylor Lautner and their parents with a tribute to the 1980s maker of teen comedies.

None of this is encouraging. Last year's innovation of five previous winners in each acting category introducing the current five nominees was a lovely gesture. Having five "friends" of the nominees introduce the five finalists in just two of the four acting categories makes no sense and is an insult to the supporting nominees.

I'd rather see and hear Shirley MacLaine or Sissy Spacek say something nice about Meryl Streep than see and hear Jack Nicholson say it. And who are they going to get for Carey Mulligan, Shia LeBeuf?

And who are they going to get for Gabourey "Gabby" Sidibe -- the woman working the counter at the chicken restaurant Precious rips off? It would be unseemly to get Oprah, as she is one of the film's producers.

And, god help us, a John Hughes tribute -- has it really come to this?. He epitomized the worst decade in film history. While it would be nice to see my beloved Mary Stuart Masterson, I fear we might instead get a reunion of The Breakfast Club because that seems so obvious. And anyone who remembers Ally Sheedy's Spirit award speech (which derailed her "comeback") knows to be very afraid. What the world's been clamoring for -- Judd Nelson and Anthony Michael Hall together again.

Edited By Damien on 1263453438
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My reaction, too. I guess they're trying to appeal to today's teenagers with Taylor Lautner and their parents with a tribute to the 1980s maker of teen comedies.

None of this is encouraging. Last year's innovation of five previous winners in each acting category introducing the current five nominees was a lovely gesture. Having five "friends" of the nominees introduce the five finalists in just two of the four acting categories makes no sense and is an insult to the supporting nominees.

I'd rather see and hear Shirley MacLaine or Sissy Spacek say something nice about Meryl Streep than see and hear Jack Nicholson say it. And who are they going to get for Carey Mulligan, Shia LeBeuf?
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Big Magilla wrote:- A tribute to John Hughes is currently planned outside of the traditional In Memoriam segment.
Why?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From Hitflix:

- Musical director Marc Shaiman has written an original song that will open the show centered around the “team” theme to introduce Baldwin and Martin together. Oh, and expect a glitzy number with 500 or so dancers (so much for Shankman’s promise to only do numbers if it fit with the nominees).
- A tribute to John Hughes is currently planned outside of the traditional In Memoriam segment.
- Will the show keep last year’s set up of having five previous Oscar winners present to each nominee before announcing the winner? At first, it appeared like that wouldn’t be the case. Now, after significant push back (“I wish that would have happened when I won,” says one former winner) smarter (begrudgingly?) heads have prevailed and friends of each nominee will present the two main acting categories. Yes, that’s right. Not previous winners, but friends (it’ll be just like “This is your life Helen Mirren!”).
- Big surprise, but your producers have one obsession for the show: Taylor Lautner. Seriously, if the “New Moon” star makes the date all will be well in Oscar land. Considering he’s already playing the Globes and has appeared on practically every other awards show this year its hard to imagine he won’t show up if invited. Whether he’s worth all the fuss for potential ratings is something else entirely.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”