The Show - What can we expect

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I am sooooooo jealous, Damien. Just once, I'd love to be at the Oscars in person.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Do we have any kind of confirmation that Williams will be there to accept Ledger's Oscar? As far as I know, she hasn't done so yet for any of the precursor awards.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

At the show, I'll bem sitting in the 8th row on the right side of the theatre, which will be the left side of your TV screen. I'm amidst some of the Animated Short Subject nominees, and my all-time favorite Mike Leigh is two rows ahead of me. I'm pretty sure that from where they're seated, the Foreign Film winner will have to cross in front of me. You'll recognize me -- I'll be the one in the tuxedo.

Saw rehearsals this afternoon It's all good.

Final dress rehearsal in an hour . . .
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

paperboy wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Best Director - Roman Polanski reading names by satellite, envelope then opened by soon to be 13 year old Abigail Breslin.

Brilliant.

As for that alleged order of presentation, why would they put the most competitive acting award first?
Tradition. Supporting Actor or Actress almost always comes first. With the Supporting Actor award expected to be the emotional highlight of the evening when Michelle Williams takes the stage to accept Heath Ledger's Oscar, possibly with their daughter in tow, they aren't about to throw that one away that early in the evening.

Interestingly they're saving the In Memoriam segment until just before the final awards.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:Very true, rain Bard. Looking through the Oscar clips on youtube, I'm struck by how interesting some of the choices for presenters of the acting races in the 70s and 80s--Liv Ullmann and Roger Moore (?) giving Best Actor to Sacheen Littlefeather, Sylvester Stallone (??) giving Best Actress to Meryl Streep, etc.
Those odd presenters are because in the 70s and early 80s, "cool" people didn't want nuffin' to do with the Oscars.

It was only when Baby Boomers, who grew up watching the Awards, were prime members of the industry that things changed.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Big Magilla wrote:Best Director - Roman Polanski reading names by satellite, envelope then opened by soon to be 13 year old Abigail Breslin.

Brilliant.

As for that alleged order of presentation, why would they put the most competitive acting award first?

Edited By paperboy on 1235258849
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

In 1977 Stallone along with Muhammad Ali presented the supporting actress award.

Edited By Hustler on 1235253142
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Very true, rain Bard. Looking through the Oscar clips on youtube, I'm struck by how interesting some of the choices for presenters of the acting races in the 70s and 80s--Liv Ullmann and Roger Moore (?) giving Best Actor to Sacheen Littlefeather, Sylvester Stallone (??) giving Best Actress to Meryl Streep, etc.

rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I think it's a good idea to change even the long-standing tradition of Best Actors/Supporting Actors handing awards to Best Actresses/Supporting Actresses (and vice versa). If it's gotten to the point where AMPAS members are actually voting for Penelope Cruz because they want to see Javier Bardem appear with her on stage, then it's time to shake things up.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Big Magilla wrote: These are Pacific, not "Eastern" time references.
...which makes me suspicious of the whole thing.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:My dream presenters in the top six categories:

Best Director - Roman Polanski reading names by satellite, envelope then opened by soon to be 13 year old Abigail Breslin.

Best Supporting Actor - Joanne Woodward presenting to Michelle Williams on behalf of Matlila.

Best Supporting Actress - Peter O'Toole.

Best Actor - Joan Fontaine and Olivia de Havilland.

Best Actress - Albert Finney.

Best Picture - Maureen O'Hara, longest living star of a best picture winner next to Luise Rainer who won't attend and Olivia de Havilland who will have already appeared.

Not a single presenter under the age of 70? Um, yeah, that sounds about right...
I said it was a "dream". Who am I suppose to dream about, Jessica Biel and Zac Efron?

Joanne Woodward doesn't like to travel, she doesn't fly at all, but an appearance by her would end those tabloid rumors that she is wasting away, unable to go on without Paul Newman.

O'Toole never shows up unless he's nominated, Finney never shows up period. They would be welcome surprises.

Fontaine and de Havilland isn't going to happen, but we can hope.

Oscar has turned its back to O'Hara for so long there's no reason to expect they would welcome her now, but it would be nice.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:Cinemascope claims to have the official order of presentation. I'm posting a link for those who prefer to be surprised.

I'll admit to being punked if these turn out to be fake, because it sure looks authentic to me. And if it is, well... someone's been reading my suggestions here. :p
Looks quite authentic, although this guy obviously doesn't know his time zones. These are Pacific, not "Eastern" time references.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I don't know if this was posted or not already: a clip of Hugh Jackman rehearsing and talking about the Oscars.

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Cinemascope claims to have the official order of presentation. I'm posting a link for those who prefer to be surprised.

I'll admit to being punked if these turn out to be fake, because it sure looks authentic to me. And if it is, well... someone's been reading my suggestions here. :p
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:My dream presenters in the top six categories:

Best Director - Roman Polanski reading names by satellite, envelope then opened by soon to be 13 year old Abigail Breslin.

Best Supporting Actor - Joanne Woodward presenting to Michelle Williams on behalf of Matlila.

Best Supporting Actress - Peter O'Toole.

Best Actor - Joan Fontaine and Olivia de Havilland.

Best Actress - Albert Finney.

Best Picture - Maureen O'Hara, longest living star of a best picture winner next to Luise Rainer who won't attend and Olivia de Havilland who will have already appeared.

Not a single presenter under the age of 70? Um, yeah, that sounds about right...

Edited By flipp525 on 1235234793
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”