Online Film Critics Society Nominations

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Damien wrote:I figure though if you get screeners by dint of being a member it's worth it.
Bingo. A certain someone was sort of tired of having to send his screeners to me every year in order to prepare me for our annual Oscar prediction articles.

I'm pretty sure this will be the last time I vote in these things, as they're an obvious exercise in futility.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Eric wrote:I can corroborate this list. I'm a member too (Lord knows why).

Eric, I've often wondered why someone with as wondrously individualistic (or quirky) taste and opinions as you would be part of a group that is every bit as mundane and conventional and lowest common denominator as the Broadcast reviewers. I figure though if you get screeners by dint of being a member it's worth it.

Edited By Damien on 1231235005
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, let's put it this way. Even Variety didn't have the full list of Golden Globe nominations up before the HFPA website did. It's not inconceivable that other sites got it wrong.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I can corroborate this list. I'm a member too (Lord knows why).
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:Well, Hustler, let's say I cast my votes this morning. :)
Ok. The point is that the expanded list is not available at Internet.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, Hustler, let's say I cast my votes this morning. :)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Wes, Where did you find the whole list? I looked for it at awards daily and In Contention but it´s not complete.

Edited By Hustler on 1231181746
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

At least The Curious Case of Benjamin Button only got six nominations, the same as WALL-E (whose Editing nomination makes me very appreciative; it is the best edited film of the year by a long shot). Slumdog and The Dark Knight lead with seven and The Wrestler with five. Would've been nice to see more for Milk, A Christmas Tale, Synecdoche, New York, or even a Best Picture nomination for Let the Right One Which which they clearly adore and seem about as passionate about as Benjamin Button, but they left out Clint Eastwood and for that I'm incredibly grateful.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

flipp525 wrote:
criddic3 wrote:I'm amused by the love for Let the Right One In. Isn't that a vampire movie?

I'm amused by your love of "McCain/Palin". Isn't that a vampire movie?
Aw, Flipp, you can do better.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

OscarGuy wrote:One thing you must always expect from the OFCS is a bit of Internet critic populism.
Populism sure, and I rejoice in the nods for WALL-E. Correlation to probable Oscar nods that approaches Magilla levels (sorry, BM, you know I kid) is futile.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

criddic3 wrote:I'm amused by the love for Let the Right One In. Isn't that a vampire movie?

I'm amused by your love of "McCain/Palin". Isn't that a vampire movie?

Edited By flipp525 on 1231178651
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I'm amused by the love for Let the Right One In. Isn't that a vampire movie?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

One thing you must always expect from the OFCS is a bit of Internet critic populism.
Wesley Lovell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Terrible. We're more susceptible of being led by the nose than the Broadcast Film Critics.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:Original Score:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Milk
Slumdog Millionaire
WALL-E

Editing:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Milk
Slumdog Millionaire
WALL-E
so MILK deserves a nomination for score and editing (well done, but not the film's strongest areas), yet not good enough for a director or best picture nomination? ???
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”