Total votes: 32

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Damien wrote:
criddic3 wrote:
Damien wrote:
Pure unvarnished ego. Ughhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Isn't that what the Oscars is all about? Well, at least partly? Ego is what drives 99.9% of all Hollywood. Sure, we love to sit at home and cheer on our favorite stars and movies, but it's all an ego trip in the end. Show business is among the most ego-driven career choices anyone could make. If you have the talent, a big ego is an asset (maybe even if you don't) and it takes an ego to get out in front of millions of people and belt out a number in honor of Oscar night. That's part of what made that so much fun! I'm surprised more hosts didn't try to do similar things, but Billy Crystal really did it well.

But even in Hollywood, it's hard to find someone so blatantly (and nauseatingly) self-referential as Crystal.
I'm not saying that he's never annoying. All comedians have their bad habits. I just think he put on a terrific show whenever he did the Oscars.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:
Damien wrote:
criddic3 wrote:Frankly, I liked the production number that Crystal always did. I liked seeing him jump into all the nominated movies.

Isn't that what the Oscars is all about? Well, at least partly? Ego is what drives 99.9% of all Hollywood. Sure, we love to sit at home and cheer on our favorite stars and movies, but it's all an ego trip in the end. Show business is among the most ego-driven career choices anyone could make. If you have the talent, a big ego is an asset (maybe even if you don't) and it takes an ego to get out in front of millions of people and belt out a number in honor of Oscar night. That's part of what made that so much fun! I'm surprised more hosts didn't try to do similar things, but Billy Crystal really did it well.

But even in Hollywood, it's hard to find someone so blatantly (and nauseatingly) self-referential as Crystal.

Edited By Damien on 1226556420
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Damien wrote:
criddic3 wrote:Frankly, I liked the production number that Crystal always did. I liked seeing him jump into all the nominated movies.

Edited By criddic3 on 1226555282
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Frankly, I liked the production number that Crystal always did. I liked seeing him jump into all the nominated movies.
Well...that really made the difference.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Billy Cristal
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

who was the other brave that picked Billy?
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I agree. I loved Steve Martin, but Billy Crystal really put on a show, which fits in with Oscar Night. Whoopi tried to do that a little, but it was all about the wardrobe and little else.

Frankly, I liked the production number that Crystal always did. I liked seeing him jump into all the nominated movies. And his jokes usually were funny. Best year I still remember is 1997, the year Titanic sailed away with everything. He did a great medley for all the Best Picture nominees. It was exciting.

He should come back before he gets too old to do any of that anymore.

I also like the idea of getting great stars to sing nominated songs, like they used to. Frank Sinatra sang "Star!" instead of Julie Andrews in 1969. Does anyone know why that happened? I saw the clip on Youtube. If you watch it, take a look at the audience....they look awkward and some look bored, even though Frank gives a fine performance. Maybe some were nervous. Barbra Streisand seems miles away, for instance.

Edited By criddic3 on 1225253659
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Sorry guys, but the finest host IMO is...Billy.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Hard to say. Either Jon Stewart or Steve Martin. I think they both bombed in their second engagements (Stewart b/c of the Strike and Martin b/c of 9/11...Martin wins), but Martin made it look effortless and I don't think anybody could suggest otherwise.

I say Steve Martin, but Jon Stewart needs to be on permanent retainer until Conan steps up.
"How's the despair?"
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

Steve Martin.
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Not even close -- Steve Martin, the only one who's in the glorious tradition of Bob Hope and Johnny Carson.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I almost went with Letterman, but had to choose Steve Martin.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Steve Martin is the only one I really liked.

Well, I did like Crystal when I was younger, but not anymore. I don't know if it's because my taste changed or is it that the most recent times he hosted were just a lot worse than before.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Hard to decide...

I adored Steve Martin, he's both a great actor and comedian...
Billy Crystal is legendary, Ellen Degeneres was hillariously funny and Whoopi Goldberg was fine...

And Jon Stewart was fantastic, too.

i pick Martin, nevertheless....

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”