Forgotten by Oscar

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I can't stand Ridley Scott. The only thing he's ever done that I truly loved was Thelma and Louise and that was more performance/screenplay driven than anything else with some great cinematography as well.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dreaMaker wrote:
Damien wrote:
dreaMaker wrote:
exactly, much better than the theatrical edition.
Director's cut is a true epic ofall time...

I can't tell if you guys are serious being facetious.

We're serious :)
I was afraid of that. :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Heath Ledger would now ask: Why so serious? :D
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Damien wrote:
dreaMaker wrote:
jack wrote:
The Director's Cut is a masterpeice.

We're serious :)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dreaMaker wrote:
jack wrote:
dreaMaker wrote:Kill me, but i say ''Kingdom of Heaven'' by Ridley Scott...

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

jack wrote:

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, of course. Had Donen been nominated, so would Kelly have been and it would have been deserved.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Don't you think that Gene Kelly deserved a nod alongside Donen for Singin' in the Rain? He never got a directing nomination, even when Hello, Dolly! managed a Best Picture nod.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think you pretty much answered your own question.

Loy was, along with Bette David in Of Human Bondage, a wrtie-in candidate with a ton of support for The Thin Man but all anyone talks or writes about anymore is Davis. The Academy has even foot-noted its records to document Davis' write-in status but not Loy's.

After the Barry Fitzgerald fiasco in 1944 when he was nominated in both lead and support for the same role AMPAS implemented a rule which lasted for many years that the studio designated the category in which performers were to be considered. Loy was submitted as lead.

Other years in which Loy should have been considered - 1936 when she could have been nominated for either The Great Ziegfeld or Another Thin Man or even Libeled Lady; 1958 when she could have been nominated in support for Lonelyhearts and 1960 when she could have been nominated in support for From the Terrace.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Reza wrote:Myrna Loy - The Thin Man or Best Years of Our Lives
Was Loy's failure to be nominated for The Best Years of Our Lives due to category placement? She was top billed, a huge star but it was so clearly a supporting role. She deserved a nomination but it's hard to imagine a star of that magnitude in the supporting category back then.

I'm sure she would have been nominated for The Thin Man had there been five contenders rather than three.

Poor Myrna - but at least she has her place in history as one of the truly great stars never given a shot at an Oscar.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Zahveed wrote:but future classics such as Jason Reitman's "Thank You for Smoking" (2006) (pictured) and Sidney Lumet's "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" (2007) -- were not. What the heck is going on here?!
To paraphrase Eric, this is when I stopped reading.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
Maureen O'Hara - How Green Was My Valley or The Quiet Man

Or Only the Lonely.
Yes, that was another of her great latter day performances!
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:Didn't Margaret Avery pull a similar Chill Wills-type stunt following her Oscar nod for The Color Purple? I seem to recall her taking out a full page ad in some newspaper and speaking in a black dialect, expounding upon her God-given right to win an Oscar.
Yup. It not only killed her Oscar chances, but apparently her career as well.

Chill Wills at least had a long resume to look back on and continued to work until his death 18 years later, usually in high profile guest appearance on TV shows. Avery continues to get jobs, but her roles in TV series are more of the blink and you'll miss her variety.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Didn't Margaret Avery pull a similar Chill Wills-type stunt following her Oscar nod for The Color Purple? I seem to recall her taking out a full page ad in some newspaper and speaking in a black dialect, expounding upon her God-given right to win an Oscar.
Maureen O'Hara - How Green Was My Valley or The Quiet Man

Or Only the Lonely.

Edited By flipp525 on 1224525939
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”