New Oscar Producers

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Of course, if I have any say in it, your host this evening will be Mr. Ethan Hawke.

And now with the third of her 11 dramatic recicitations, Hilary Swank . . .

Edited By Damien on 1222294995
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

One of the things that is often complained about from non-movie buffs are the non-glamour awards--you know, Art Direction, Sound, Costume Design, Makeup, Cinematography, etc. How about having a celebrity give a brief history of the craft involved, and how it is an art form, before the category is presented--something a bit more in-depth than the current quick run-down that they might do for a category.

Also, since so many of the veteran greats are gone, how about having some of the young, "it" stars of the present talk about their favorite stars of the past; if they need to make it Oscar-relevant, have them discuss a favorite Oscar-winning or nominated performance or film--but don't go for predictable choices, like The Godfather or Lawrence of Arabia--find a star who loves Oliver! or Mrs. Miniver.

Or, if you can't find a star to talk about it, invite the public to submit 30 second videos where they talk about their favorite Oscar winning stars or films from the past, and use these to break to commercials.

Edited By Penelope on 1222293127
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Then how about a fireside chat. Have one of the oldest living Oscar winners sitting down to tell a story to two or three younger Hollywood stars (I know people hate the Fannings, but those guys and several others would work), then having the show be a movie itself. Write the story as it goes along have him talking about the history of the Academy awards. Act it out on stage with young actors portraying the older ones then the older ones walk out on stage to present an award.

But, that probably wouldn't fly, but it would be a startling and new concept.

Also, you want to get people to tune in, get a host that has huge popularity right now like Ellen or Oprah. Hell, if you got Oprah to host, you'd have the highest Oscar cast audience since Titanic. I can't stand her, but it would probably work.

Instead of having the presenters wear expensive frocks by name designers, have each of them come out in garb reminiscent of an era of Oscar history. Start with the early awards of the evening, have Naomi Watts come out dressed as Fay Wray from King Kong walking out from a set designed to look like the top of the Empire State Building, then present one of the Supporting trophies. Have Matt Damon come out dressed like Marlon Brando from Streetcar through a set that looks like the train station at the beginning of the film. Have Kate Winslet come out dressed as her character from Titanic alongside a stage replica of the Grand Staircase to present an award later in the evening. Blend Hollywood history with the presentation of the awards. Heck, you could even have segments interspersed between where someone's telling the history and showing images from the era of Hollywood occurring between the two presenters...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I know the producers have no say over who is granted an honorary Oscar, but they can advise the Academy what they think would draw more viewers, increase the ad revenues for sponsors and up the ante for the next year's asking price.

It's not like Lansbury isn't someone who's likely already on their short list anyway. A little nudge might help.

I don't like those young stars with old stars couplings. They always make the older one look like he or she needs help. Introductions are fine, but let the old ones show that still have it by reading the names of the nominees and opening the envelope themselves.

No one cares about behind-the-scenes people. Most of the recent hosts have been terrible, we don't need them back either.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sadly, Magilla, while I appreciate the nod to Angela Lansbury, who deserves one of those damned things, the producers of the Oscar cast have no control over special awards and I doubt they would have enough influence over the Board to push something like that.

For me, I think the best suggestion would be to pair new stars with old stars. Get Olivia de Havilland out there to present with Cate Blanchett. Have Ron Howard present with Mickey Rooney.

And how about getting some of those great Costume Designers, Art Directors and other artists out there to co-present awards for Costume Design and Art Direction.

Bring back as many hosts as you can and have them each host a segment of the program or have them all sit and reminisce for parts of the program. Make it feel like a program that reaches out and speaks to people, not some glamour shot for upcoming releases.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Well it's not too late to correct the damage of last year's show by making the theme Celebrating Oscar's First 80 Years, including last year, this year. The 40th anniversary show would be a good template. that was the year Katharine Hepburn, Olivia de Havilland, Anne Bancroft and I forget who the fourth one was, each narrating a ten year period in Oscar's history.

This would likely be the last year something like that could be done as those around in the first decade are quickly disappearing. Luise Rainer is the only Oscar winner from that era still around and Mickey Rooney, Joan Fontaine and Olivia de Havilland among the few surviving later Oscar winners who were active in that period.

A tribute to past Academy presidents who made a difference, including Frank Capra, Bette Davis and Gregory Peck might also be in order as well as a tribute to actors and actresses who never won. In fact a really nice tribute might be one to character actors and actresses who never won culminating in a lifetime achievement award to one of the best - Angela Lansbury.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:Well, I guess we know why Damien knew Gil Cates was out.

Actually, it was a friend of someone who works at the Acdemy who told me that.

Bill did tell me earlier this week that he'd be working on the show.

I'll pass along any suggestions anyone has for the show.

Edited By Damien on 1222287642
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:But, this is great news for most of us, bad news for Italiano. :)

I'd totally forgotten that. I dread the conversations already.
Oh god, ditto here. In fact, I'm already over it. Marco will never, ever let go of that one.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OscarGuy wrote:But, this is great news for most of us, bad news for Italiano. :)
I'd totally forgotten that. I dread the conversations already.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Well, this could be the best news we have heard regarding the Oscars in years. Hopefully Condon's background will lead him to put an emphasis on the HISTORY of the awards and film, especially after the recent Emmys did a nice job of remembering TV older than 10 years.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But, this is great news for most of us, bad news for Italiano. :)
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Heck, Damien, let him know that we would be a great influence on his planning and that he should pick our brains. :)
Wesley Lovell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Damien, if you are in contact with Bill Condon let him know that we want to see the old glories presenting the awards.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, I guess we know why Damien knew Gil Cates was out.

Academy picks Oscar producers
Org taps Bill Condon, Laurence Mark
By VARIETY STAFF

Posted: Wed., Sep. 24, 2008, 9:56am PT

Marking a change in direction, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences has tapped Laurence Mark as producer of the 81st annual Academy Awards, with writer-director Bill Condon to executive produce. It will be their first involvement in the production of an Oscar show.

Academy prez Sid Ganis said in a Wednesday morning statement, "Larry and Bill are fresh thinkers who will bring a unique perspective to the Oscar show. That fact, joined with their enormous collective talent and enthusiasm, will serve the 81st awards proceedings perfectly."

Mark produced and Condon wrote and directed "Dreamgirls," their first time teaming.

"What a thrill to produce the Oscar show," Mark said. "I'm excited about this opportunity and look forward to the challenge of a live television show that celebrates the very best in film."

"The Oscars are the ultimate recognition of excellent work in movies, and I'm so pleased to be part of putting the show together," Condon said.

Oscar nominations will be announced Jan. 22. The Academy Awards presentation will be telecast live by the ABC Television Network on Feb. 22.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”