Village Voice's Yearly Poll has become indieWIRE!

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Wow. I just noticed that Dreamgirls didn't get a SINGLE vote in this poll. Of course, I didn't expect it to do well with this group . . . but Little Man, Bobby, Hostel, Final Destination 3, Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World, The Break-Up, Lassie, Nacho Libre, and Talladega Nights all got votes. I'm a bit shocked there wasn't ONE somewhere for The Dreams.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sonic Youth wrote:Neil Young will always be hip.

But how many of the reviews of his top ten films contain rantings against the privileged, white, intellectual, upper-middle class patriarchy? My guess: eight. Including one for the film financed by Starbucks.

And this answers my question I asked about Pazz & Jop several months ago. Had Christgau wanted to, he could have taken the poll with him. I'm sorry he didn't.
Armond went to Columbia University's Film School, so he himself is a product of the privileged, intellectual, upper-middle class patriarchy.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Neil Young will always be hip.

But how many of the reviews of his top ten films contain rantings against the privileged, white, intellectual, upper-middle class patriarchy? My guess: eight. Including one for the film financed by Starbucks.

And this answers my question I asked about Pazz & Jop several months ago. Had Christgau wanted to, he could have taken the poll with him. I'm sorry he didn't.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I have to say I presumed The Departed had this one in the bag. I was right that L'Enfant would be runner-up, though. Otherwise, this is probably the most outta left-field winner since Yi Yi.

It's nice to see that the switch over to IndieWire meant Armond had to reveal his heretofore hidden ballot. It's every bit the scandal I always presumed it was. His anti-hip quest has finally reached a new plateau.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

The Original BJ wrote:My big "huh?" this year are the SUPPORTING citations for Luminita Georghiu (sp?). Sure, she doesn't enter the 2.5 hour film until the 30 minute mark, but after that, she never leaves. How is she not a lead?
Agreed. She may not be onscreen quite as much but she certainly has more lines than the title character.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The deepest ignominy is that Lim is in the midst publishing a book of Village Voice reviews... after being fired from the publication.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I am so glad to see Gael García Bernal on that Lead Performance list. He gave one of my favorite performances this year, and it's nice to see him even crack the top 20. He was MAJORLY robbed of a Comedy Actor Globe nod.

My big "huh?" this year are the SUPPORTING citations for Luminita Georghiu (sp?). Sure, she doesn't enter the 2.5 hour film until the 30 minute mark, but after that, she never leaves. How is she not a lead?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Village Voice's yearly poll has become indieWIRE -

http://www.indiewire.com/movies/2006/12/critics_poll_06.html

...and your runaway winner is...'The Death of Mr. Lazarescu'.
...followed by 'L'Enfant', 'The Departed', 'Inland Empire', 'Army of Shadows', and 'Three Times'.

Best Lead Performance is (as expected) Helen Mirren for 'The Queen', followed by Ryan Gosling for 'Half Nelson', Laura Dern for 'Inland Empire', Sascha Baron Cohen for 'Borat', Forest Whitaker for 'The Last King of Scotland', and Will Oldham for 'Old Joy'.

Best Supporting Actor is Mark Wahlburg for 'The Departed' followed by one of the year's best LEAD performances Shareeka Epps for 'Half Nelson', Robert Downey Jr. for 'A Scanner Darkly', Jackie Earle Haley for 'Little Children', Nick Nolte for 'Clean', and Luminita Gheorghiu for 'The Death of Mr. Lazarescu'.

Best Director? By one vote, Martin Scorsese over David Lynch, followed by Cristi Puiu for 'The Death of Mr. Lazarescu', tied at 4th Alfonso Cuaron and the Dardenne Bros., and at 6th Hou Hsiao-hsien, Jean-Pierre Melville, and Nuri Bilge Ceyland for 'Climates'.

Best Screenplay is 'The Queen', followed by 'The Departed', tied for 3rd are 'A Scanner Darkly' and 'Tristam Shanty', and 'Brick'.

Best First Film by one vote is 'Brick' over '4', and then 'Little Miss Sunshine' and tied for 4th are 'The Puffy Chair' and 'Man Push Cart'.

Best Documentary is 'Iraq in Fragments', 'The Devil and Daniel Johnston' and 'Our Daily Bred' for 2nd, 'Deliver Us from Evil', and 'The Case of the Grinning Cat'.

Best Cinematography by 18 votes (!) is Emmanuel Lubeszki for 'Children of Men', and then 'Pan's Labyrinth' and 'Three Times for 2nd, 'Miami Vice' for 4th, and 'Climates' for 5th.

Best Undistributed Film is 'Woman on the Beach', followed by 'Still Life', 'Colossal Youth', 'In Between Days', and 'Private Fears in Public Places'.

...and as long as I'm ruining surprises...

ARMOND WHITE
1. Broken Sky
2. Neil Young: Heart of Gold
3. A Prairie Home Companion
4. World Trade Center
5. Nacho Libre
6. The Promise
7. Infamous
8. Akeelah and the Bee
9. BOBBY!!!
10. Running Scared

This was the year that Armond White extolled the virtues of Emilio Estevez, Wayne Kramer, and those 'Napoleon Dynamite' dweebs over Martin Scorsese.

His list of the year's best leading performances?
Toby Jones ~ 'Infamous'
Paul Walker ~ 'Running Scared'
Chris Evans ~ 'London'
Sook-Yin Lee ~ 'Shortbus'
MARLON WAYANS ~ 'Little Man'

Jonathan Rosenbaum couldn't call 'The World' the best film of the year three years in a row, so...
1. 'Three Times'
2. 'The War Tapes'
3. 'The Illusionist'
4. 'Half Nelson'
5. 'Army of Shadows'
6. 'Letters from Iwo Jima'
7. 'Inland Empire
8. 'Pan's Labyrinth'
9. 'Hollywoodland'
10. 'The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada'

...he then goes on to say the best directed and written movie of the year was 'Find Me Guilty'
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Other Film Discussions”