The 2010-2011 Tony Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'll have to check out "Joseph Smith American Moses" which is one of the few I didn't listen to. "Hasa Diga Eebowai" was the best of the ones I did listen to.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I personally love "Hasa Diga Eebowai" and "Joseph Smith American Moses" had me in stitches.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks for posting. I listened to most of it. Sounds a lot like Godspell and similar shows of the 1970s. There is nothing particularly shocking about it. The songs are pleasant but none of them really stand out on first listen.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:NPH is an excellent host. His two stints as Emmy host were inspired and I saw parts of his work on the Tonys, which was equally fun. I think the Oscars should really consider having him host if, for nothing else, than to make him the only person to host all three galas (Emmy/Tony/Oscar).

Oops. Correction: Jon Stewart hosted the GRAMMYS, not the Tonys.

Edited By anonymous on 1304661277
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

NPH is an excellent host. His two stints as Emmy host were inspired and I saw parts of his work on the Tonys, which was equally fun. I think the Oscars should really consider having him host if, for nothing else, than to make him the only person to host all three galas (Emmy/Tony/Oscar).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Move over Sean Hayes, Neil Patrick Harris is gearing up for round two of Tony Awards hosting duties.

The How I Met Your Mother star is all set to host the 65th annual Broadway awards show, E! News has confirmed.

While Harris has kept quiet about his upcoming hosting duties, Modern Family star Jesse Tyler Ferguson couldn't hold in his excitement about the news.

"Congrats to @ActuallyNPH for returning as host of the 2011 Tony Awards," Ferguson tweeted. "He was brilliant a few years ago and will be brilliant again."

The Tony Awards will be held June 12 at the historic Beacon Theatre in New York City.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:
Damien wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:No, Book of Mormon is not for everybody. Certainly some will be offended, and even some who aren't just don't like this type of humor. (Let me put it this way -- there is a character in this show named General Butt F**king Naked, and characters from Star Wars, Star Trek, and The Lord of the Rings make cameo appearances. You know if that won't be your thing.) I'd wondered if the show's boundary-pushing humor might cost it the top prize...but Avenue Q was equally foul, and triumphed over a pretty strong blockbuster option in Wicked. Given the fact that Mormon is both the critical darling AND the sold-out-until-kingdom-come popular hit -- it's this year's Avenue Q as well as this year's Spamalot -- I have a hard time imagining it could lose against the competition this year.
I hated Avenue Q -- it's the only musical I ever left at intermission, so I think I'll skip Mormon.

But it's a shoo-in to win.
Do you like South Park, Damien?
I'm indifferent to it. Haven't seen it in years. Thought, at best, it was mildly amusing. It's no Beavis and Butt-head.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:No, Book of Mormon is not for everybody. Certainly some will be offended, and even some who aren't just don't like this type of humor. (Let me put it this way -- there is a character in this show named General Butt F**king Naked, and characters from Star Wars, Star Trek, and The Lord of the Rings make cameo appearances. You know if that won't be your thing.) I'd wondered if the show's boundary-pushing humor might cost it the top prize...but Avenue Q was equally foul, and triumphed over a pretty strong blockbuster option in Wicked. Given the fact that Mormon is both the critical darling AND the sold-out-until-kingdom-come popular hit -- it's this year's Avenue Q as well as this year's Spamalot -- I have a hard time imagining it could lose against the competition this year.
I hated Avenue Q -- it's the only musical I ever left at intermission, so I think I'll skip Mormon.

Do you like South Park, Damien?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I caught Radcliffe and company on GMA last week while channel surfing. He and John Larroquette were briefly interviewd and then Radcliffe and company sang "Brotherhood of Man". Radcliffe did look like he was dong his best to please the crowd and wasn't bad, but the veteran stage performers in the cast blew him and Larroquette, who looked ill at ease, out of the water.

Not having seen any of the nominees, I can't say that Radliffe failed to make the cut because of politics or simply because the others were better, but Larroquette is a complete head-scratcher. He must have been judged on his acting rather than his singing and dancing which in my estimation should at least be given equal weight in a musical.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:Daniel Radcliffe was snubbed! I've seen clips of his performance and he's very impressive and he got very good reviews. It's glaring he got snubbed while two of his co-stars got in. Some people speculate the entire "DON'T LET MOVIE STARS STEAL OUR AWARDS" sentiment after the victories of Catherine Zeta-Jones, Denzel Washington and Scarlett Johansson last year took away a few votes, costing him the nomination.
I know you're a huge Potter-head, but Radcliffe's reviews weren't a;; that great. He got an A for trying, but the general consensus was that he was genial but not quite up to the demands of the role.

By the way, if anyone wants to read all the reviews for anty shows, www.stagegrade.com is a great site.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The Original BJ wrote:I wonder if the nominated costumers can still win a Tony to put alongside their Oscar. A number of actors have won an Oscar & Tony for the same role. Does anyone know if any costumers have?
Cecil Beaton for My Fair Lady (although obviously the other way around).
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I should start off any brief commentary on Sister Act by stating that I can't be 100% objective about this show. I've worked with a number of members of the show's creative team over the past five years, and the nominated book writers are long-time family friends. In addition to this personal connection to the show, I've seen it in numerous stages over the years, and have been privy to plenty of the show's behind-the-scenes drama. So, as I said, take anything I say with a grain of salt.

That said, I think the show is perfectly enjoyable. It wasn't written with the intention of winning a Pulitzer, but as a traditional, family-friendly, crowd-pleasing musical comedy, it does what it does very well. It's definitely what you'd expect from Sister Act: The Musical, and I think pretty much everyone here would know if it's their thing or not going in. I had a lot of laughs, held back some tears, and saw some nuns boogie-ing, and that was enough for me. I would definitely recommend it for families.

Nominated Victoria Clark is very well cast as Mother Superior, and brings a warm presence and dry wit to the role. But I sort of hope she doesn't win. I found her Light in the Piazza performance truly exceptional -- this is far more lightweight. Plus, you could make a pretty good argument that she's actually a co-lead. (Actually, it's a little strange to see only four nominees in that category when Clark could have easily been promoted, making room for a far less-known performer in the featured category.)

Patina Miller, though, owns the show in Whoopi Goldberg's role, I see her as a definite contender for that Lead Actress trophy, along with...

...Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. I'd heard some remarks that Foster was miscast in the role of Reno Sweeney, but I don't agree with that take at all. Sure, she's not the same type as Ethel Merman or Patti LuPone, actresses who have defined the role in the past. But the casting of Foster -- not only a gifted comedienne and outstanding vocalist, but also an exceptional dancer -- turns Reno into a true triple-threat role. And, my god, the dancing in this show is terrific. I pretty much think productions of Anything Goes live or die based on two numbers -- the title song at the end of act one, and Blow, Gabriel, Blow. And Kathleen Marshall, Sutton Foster, and the ensemble knock these out of the park.

As far as the show overall is concerned, it's an entertaining production of a show that has always had a sublime score and a fun (if silly and sometimes dated) book. This isn't a revisionist take on the classic, but old-fashioned musical comedy fun. I don't know if this is the favorite for the revival prize, as the How to Succeed revival has also been well-received -- I think Anything Goes would be a worthy enough choice, but not one I think would HAVE to win either.

Oh, and I think it was very shrewd of the voters to nominate Adam Godley in the Featured Actor character instead of his more famous co-star, Joel Grey, who I felt gave somewhat of a half-hearted performance. (Actually, the other time I saw him on stage, in Wicked, I felt the same thing.) Godley, though, was a hoot.

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (which I haven't seen) seems to have had the most across-the-board snubs, although I wonder if the nominated costumers can still win a Tony to put alongside their Oscar. A number of actors have won an Oscar & Tony for the same role. Does anyone know if any costumers have?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Daniel Radcliffe was snubbed! I've seen clips of his performance and he's very impressive and he got very good reviews. It's glaring he got snubbed while two of his co-stars got in. Some people speculate the entire "DON'T LET MOVIE STARS STEAL OUR AWARDS" sentiment after the victories of Catherine Zeta-Jones, Denzel Washington and Scarlett Johansson last year took away a few votes, costing him the nomination.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”