2009-2010 Broadway Season

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Enron has a musical scene, but it's not a musical. It's also winning best play.

So glad to hear that Damien likes Everyday Rapture. I love Scott in The Last Five Years and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, so it's nice to know she's got a role worthy of her talents.

What about Fela!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sonic Youth wrote:Try this:

http://www.stagegrade.com/

Your comma at the end is screwing up the link, Damien.

Um... there's a Green Day Broadway musical?
Thanks Sonic.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:Um... there's a Green Day Broadway musical?
Yes. It's the stage version of their American Idiot.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Try this:

http://www.stagegrade.com/

Your comma at the end is screwing up the link, Damien.

Um... there's a Green Day Broadway musical?

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1271889884
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:Damien, the link doesn't work.
Doh, how stupid am I? It's [url=http://www.stagegrade.com,]www.stagegrade.com,[/url] not screengrade.

Sorry :(
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Damien wrote:Enron is a straight play, not a musical.
Wow -- that's how closely I'm following things this year. When you know you can't afford to go, I guess you lose interest.

I'm with flipp: Chenoweth complaining her character is annoying is unintended humor at its peak.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien, the link doesn't work.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

An excellent theatre site is www.screengrade.com It collects all the reviews of all Broadway and off-Broadway shows. It's where I learned the surprising news that John Simon loved The Addams Family. (He may be getting senile -- he seems to like almost everything these days.)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The actress they single out in Promises, Promises has the part that won Marian Mercer a Tony so it's not surprising that whoever plays the role would come off better than the one playing the lead which is poorly written.

If you're unfamiliar with the musical, it's the role Joan Shawlee, the woman Jack Lemmon meets in the bar in the The Apartment.

I agree Tony voters generally prefer actors in shows still running, but the names I keep hearing are Baldwin and Christiane Noll in the revival of Ragtime which has also closed. I'm not familiar with the Sherie Renee Scott musical. From what I understand, Catherine Zeta-Jones is not as good in A Little Night Music as Angela Lansbury who'll likely win her sixth Tony in support.

I have the cast recordings of Finian's Rainbow and A Little Night Music. Finian is pure pleasure with all the actors in fine voice, Jackson and Baldwin in particular. The rest of the cast outshines both Zeta-Jones and Lansbury, whose voice at 84 is understandably not as strong as it once was, in Night Music.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Damien wrote:According to New York Post theatre queen Michael Reidel, Promises Promises isn't really working in previews and Neil Simon is doing rewrites, Kristen Chenoweth's character is said to be very annoying and whiny and she's unhappy about it.
Surprise, surprise. When is she not annoying?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Enron is a straight play, not a musical.

According to New York Post theatre queen Michael Reidel, Promises Promises isn't really working in previews and Neil Simon is doing rewrites, Kristen Chenoweth's character is said to be very annoying and whiny and she's unhappy about it. According to Reidel, the show is stolen by an actress I've never heard of who plays a "sexpot" to use the verbiage of that time. Two other Bacharach/David songs -- I Say A Little Prayer" and "A House Is Not A Home" have been added to the score.

Since Tony voters now almost always go for performers in shows that are still running, I can't see Kate Baldwin as a favorite, I think it's a race between Catherine Zeta Jones in A Little Night Music and Sherrie Renie SCott in the wonderful Everyday Rapture.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Also, remember that the critics bloc of the Tony voters have had their voting privileges revoked for this year (they will be back to voting in 2011), so there is a good chance that the winners could have a little of their edge taken off. I wouldn't be surprised to see The Addams Family in the running too.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I think we need to wait for the Enron musical to open before we're sure which way the Tony is going. American Idiot was well-reviewed in the Times today, but you can never tell if certain critics are overstating love for rock musicals out of fear of non-hipsterism. I truly wonder how that touring company bloc among the voters will respond to Green Day.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I expect the Green Day musical will be the one to beat for the Tony.

Cheyenne Jackson is eligible in lead for Finian's Rainbow. His co-star Kate Baldwin is an early favorite for Best Actress.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Spider-Man musical. Critics hated The Addams Family but audiences seem to like it - won't help it with the Tonys, though.

The original Promises, Promises was a disappointment. It has only two really good songs, "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" and the title tune, both of which were hits in the day. The best thing about it was Jerry Orbach. His leading lady, Jill O'Hara, was extremely weak voiced to the point of almost being annoying. Kristen Chenoweth might improve on her, but Sean Hayes is no Jerry Orbach. It doesn't sound promising (pun intended).
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I read somewhere Billie Joe Armstrong and Green Day actually wrote American Idiot as a rock opera so the idea of turning it into a stage musical isn't that far-fetched.

Have they ruled on whether or not the American Idiot score is eligible for the Tony?

Edited By anonymous on 1271820555

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”