Chess in Concert

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

For the most part, I agree with your assessment, Pen. Though, I must say Idina wasn't as bad on the material that I hadn't heard before (as in what wasn't on the original recording). I liked much of the Russian aspects, though I was a bit annoyed with the interpretive dance.

Adam Pascal was quite good. I definitely couldn't stop watching him. And I like what they did with the choreography of One Night in Bangkok, but didn't like the arrangement. I also didn't like how they blended dialogue that wasn't blended before, but it was nice to finally see some of the distinctions and understand some of the lyrics that were kind of mealy-mouthed in the original recording.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've always thought Chess would make a terrific movie (just like I think Company could be if done entirely right). I was introduced to Chess more than a decade ago by a friend who insisted I listen to the British version, not the American. He was right, of course. The American version is what you might call Disney-fied. It's mostly ballad. It just doesn't compare to the concept album in terms of quality.

I'll have to see about adding it to my netflix queue if it is available there. I'm surprised there are more songs since there are already plenty in the concept album.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Chess is a musical whose off-stage history is as complex--if not moreso--than the twisty saga it tells on-stage. With lyrics by Tim Rice and music by ABBA's Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus, it started as a concept album in 1984 (yielding 2 top 10 hits, "One Night in Bangkok" and "I Know Him So Well"), a West End stage production in 1986 that ran for 3 years and a heavily re-worked Broadway production that lasted a mere 2 months in 1988.

Since then, Chess has remained a cult favorite for millions around the world, thanks entirely to B & B's magnificent music and Rice's deft, complex lyrics. Various countries have mounted productions and, over the years, Rice and others have tweaked the production to get it right. The most recent tweaking was a concert presented at the Royal Albert Hall in London in 2008; this production is currently airing on PBS' Great Performance, but is also available in a wide-screen DVD as well as CD. It's a magnificent production well worth seeing, though I do have some complaints.

For my money, the definitive recording of Chess is a 2001 Danish recording which, sadly, if you didn't get the first imprint, has since been re-released minus several songs. Strangely, one of those songs, the roucous German-language drinking song "Der Kleine Franz" is also missing from this concert production, but everything else is here. However, Rice has made some lyrical changes, some not for the better: the reprise of "You and I" is particularly watered down. But the orchestrations are magnificent and the chorus sounds impeccable throughout.

The cast is a mixed bag. As Anatoly, the brooding Russian chess master, Josh Groban has the right booming voice (his performance of "Anthem" is an appropriately rousing end to Act I) but is a bit young and a little wooden at times (an actor he's not); nevertheless, he comes off a bit better than Idina Menzel, whose voice is a bit too tinny at times for this stuff and who plays the role of the heavy-hearted Florence a bit too lightly--at times, it's a very mannered performance, too Broadway-esque for my tastes, though she manages to shine through and find the right mood for "Nobody's Side."

Clarke Peters is very good as Walter DeCourcy, though it's frustrating that many of his lines and lyrics have been unneccessarily given to Florence. Marti Pellow's portrayal of the Arbiter is in line with everyone I've previously seen/heard in this role--it's basically a one-man Greek Chorus, so what can you do with it?

Much more impressive are the three remaining cast members. Kerry Ellis provides a heartbreaking portrait of Anatoly's cast-off wife, Svetlana; her performance of "Someone Else's Story" is a highlight of the concert. David Bedella is an absolute joy as the scheming Molokov, and his rendition, with the supporting cast, of "The Soviet Machine" is a delight.

Best of all is Adam Pascal, who takes the character of Freddy Trumper--the caustic, greedy, selfish American chess player--and turns him into the most deeply felt character of the show. It's a dazzling performance, both in terms of his singing (especially the mesmerizing "Pity the Child") and his acting--you can't take your eyes off of him.

In the end, although the concert has some flaws, it's probably the best version of Chess we're going to see until somebody dares to revive it on Broadway or (better yet) makes a film from the material.

Edited By Penelope on 1245907074
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”