Great Overtures

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

You're right, markyboo. When the house lights dim, the spot hits the orchestra pit, and the first notes of the overture are played, I get a sort of frisson down my back.
markyboo
Graduate

Post by markyboo »

GYPSY and FUNNY GIRL. The overtures for these two Broadway musicals always make me feek like I am sitting in the dark, clutching my program, waiting for the curtain to open!
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Some overtures set the mood and move right on to an opening number which firmly establishes that mood/setting: I am thinking of:
1. How To Succeed In Business Without Even Trying - overture moves right to the main character reading the book of the same name..
2. Pajama Game: after the short overture the music establishes a "busy" mode, the scene is a factory, and we hear "Time Study Man", which establishes the M.O. of one of the secondary characters.
This method is a very handy way to establish setting, mood and characterization in very short order.
Sweeney Todd's overture is more of a classical Prologue, as is the overture for A Funny Thing...
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I really like the Mame overture.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Yes, Okri, so do ! The "train" motif is established right away. A good overture sets the mood immediately. Another one is " My Fair Lady" and even "The Music Man". It can be a collection of song themes that we are going to hear later , or not.

Edited By cam on 1211645431
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I love the overture to On the Twentieth Century.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I think that the overture to Carousel is one of the best. West Side Story and Sweeney Todd are among my favourites.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They are stylistically different and even Encyclopedia Britannica makes a distinction between Musical Theater and Opera. While they have some similarities, they are sufficiently different to warrant separate terms. And if they aren't, how would you distinguish them? You would have Opera and what?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

So operas count in your definition of theatre but not your definition of musical?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

rain Bard wrote:Do opera overtures count in your definition of theatre?
My intention was musical theater, not opera. That's why I capitalized Musical, but I guess that wasn't terribly obvious. sorry about that.
Wesley Lovell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Do opera overtures count in your definition of theatre?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What do you think are the best Musical overtures in theatre history?
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”