Company

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Oh yeah. I remember George Furth. I saw him a lot on 70s TV, I think he may have been on MTM or another sitcom of similar sensibilities.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Yes ,it's about an hour long. Did you recognize any of the faces?
Amazing to think that George Furth with that amazing writintg talent, became an often-seen character actor( think Blazing Saddles, Butch Cassidy) and everything from the 60s to the 2000s on television as a featured star or guest, won the Tony for Book for Company, and another Drama Desk Award for Best Play, as well as book for The Act( the Liza Minnelli-vehicle). Talent "up the gazoo" as a friend would say.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think that's the one I'm talking about. By D.A. Pennebaker?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

There was an excellent film about the making of the sound track of Company some years ago, which I have. In its own way, it is very gripping: will Elaine Stritch manage to sing "Ladies Who Lunch" the way she is supposed to? The music is tough for all of them. There is a great deal of suspense in this, so I will not give a spoiler. Extremely good--not very long--for anyone who can find it, and who especially loves Sondheim and this show, the way I do.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

For those who love this musical, there's a rather interesting program I picked up from Netflix that sheds some light on the Original Cast recording they did.

It's an amazing program that takes you into the recording room. It's kind of amazing to hear them talk about the music and to even listen to small pieces of the score isolated by instrument.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”