Plummer on Broadway

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

A friend of mine saw this in previews and said the play is creaky, but Plummer is amazing. Brian Dennehy. on the other hand, is ineffectual.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I'd like to see this.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Interestingly, Christopher Plummer's daughter, Amanda (who acted at my alma mater which has an incredibly renowned theater department) is one of only three actresses who've received double acting Tony nominations for plays in the same year: Best Featured Actress in a Play for "Agnes of God" (won) and Best Actress in a Play for "A Taste of Honey" (nominated) in 1982. The other two to share that distinction are Dana Ivey and Kate Burton.

Edited By flipp525 on 1175446977
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Inherit the Wind is the perfect vehicle for those two. And it's topical nature could make it a favorite for the revival award.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

NY Post/Cindy Adams

March 30, 2007 -- TONY winner Christopher Plummer, Tony winner Brian Dennehy and a cast of 34 under Tony winner direc tor Doug Hughes open "Inherit the Wind" at the Lyceum April 12. So why only a limited, 16-week engagement?

"Because I can," answered Christopher Plummer. "When you're young, you must be in plays forever. I recall doing Elia Kazan's 'J.B.' for almost a year. You become a machine. I got so used to the lines that I forgot them. Now I can be choosy and let another guy come in and take over.

"I love theater. It's my favorite medium. I just don't love the theater lifestyle. I've done it all my life. I'm attuned to it, but it's no life at all. And you gain weight because you eat candy for a sugar rush to get you through. In the old days, we'd stuff ourselves at midnight dinners, drink all night and sleep all day. Lucky I'm still alive."

And had giant talent Christopher Plummer seen 1955's original "Inherit the Wind" with Paul Muni? "Yes and was terribly impressed, but I don't remember the details so it won't taint my performance. I didn't see the movie, and, all of a sudden, that goddamn thing is showing on TV every 10 minutes."

About his "The Sound of Music," which is also showing someplace every 10 minutes, it's: "I've seen it enough. Listen, I'm grateful, happy I made it but I don't have to see it again.

"I'm thrilled Brian Dennehy's doing this play with me. He's a stage animal." A laugh, then, "But I'm having trouble with its legal language. I'm blowing lines because of tongue twister phrases that aren't familiar and non-lawyers don't use, and you can't get your tongue around. We're in previews, and the other night I went up in the lines. All I could think to do is bang my foot on the stage. The cast stared, and Brian saved my neck. But I discovered how to handle the problem. I've written those phrases on the legal pad I'm holding in my hands so now I just read them."

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”