Top Albums of 2009 - because the Grammys won't do any better

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

1 Hold Time - M.Ward
2 Notes And Rhymes - The Proclaimers
3 Untitled #23 - The Church
4 Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective
5 Hush - Asobi Seksu
6 Sounds Of The Universe - Depeche Mode
7 News Weather And Spores (1985-1988) - The Spores
8 Wait For Me - Moby
9 Alpinisms - School Of Seven Bells
10 The Hazzards Of Love - The Decemberists
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yeah, I feel the same way about Animal Collective. Sung Tongs bored me to death and I haven't bothered with this one.

Yeah, I'm not 100% down with the new Animal Collective album either. I don't begin to understand the hype over it. It's not the best album of the year. I do like Phoenix's Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix though. They're not great but I like how they basically only want to put out solid, little songs. I'm not 100% caught up with music this year. I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of Passion Pit, Silversun Pickups, or Them Crooked Vultures, so I don't want to put out a list. My single favorite piece of music that I've heard is The Hold Steady doing a live "Killer Parties" off of A Positive Rage. I'm straight-up into The Hold Steady in a way that I doubt will stop anytime soon, and that album's version of "Killer Parties" is triumphant in a way that nothing else I've heard this year has topped.

I don't like Grizzly Bear but Two Weeks is a really good song. Again: I'm not remotely caught up enough this year to talk about what is good, great, and not all that. Just where I'm at now.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Sabin wrote:Aside from Two Weeks, I think Grizzly Bear is boring as fuck. I felt intensely in the minority on this one (and still rather do), but then I saw them live after listening to their album ten or so times and I still find them boring as fuck. Two Weeks is a really good song though.
Yeah, I feel the same way about Animal Collective. Sung Tongs bored me to death and I haven't bothered with this one.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Aside from Two Weeks, I think Grizzly Bear is boring as fuck. I felt intensely in the minority on this one (and still rather do), but then I saw them live after listening to their album ten or so times and I still find them boring as fuck. Two Weeks is a really good song though.
"How's the despair?"
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Looking back on this year, I find it to be much stronger than 2008's list, but I still feel increasingly further away from whatever "scene" is prevalent. Once again I am having trouble naming a clear #1 (last year I settled for Portishead's "Third") from a list of strong albums. The albums that spoke to me:

1. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion (it is only named after the live venue; this feels like a cop-out vote because at this point, what's the use of yet another list with this on top? Then again, I guess we can be thankful for such a uniting album with a clear consensus.)
2. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (a triumphant victory lap)
3. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest (yes, created with traditional instruments!)
4. The Flaming Lips - Embryonic (dark, dirty, utterly uncommercial at the height of their popularity)
5. The xx - xx (debut of the year if not the decade, amazingly restrained and wonderful)
6. Doves - Kingdom of Rust (doomed to be perpetually underrated)
7. Converge - Axe To Fall (perfect capper to their amazing nine-year run of amazing albums)
8. Fever Ray - Fever Ray (the Knife, with even more dread subbing for their razor beats)
9. Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport (less abrasion, more ecstatic crescendos into bliss)
10. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt. 2 (long, but such a solid trip down memory lane)

11. U2 - No Line on the Horizon
12. Manic Street Preachers - Journal for Plague Lovers
13. The Field - Yesterday and Today
14. Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
15. Baroness - Blue Record
16. Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions
17. Dirty Projects - Bitte Orca
18. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
19. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
20. Maxwell - BLACKsummers'night

There has also been a HUGE list of reissues (read: the CD must go!), everything from Pearl Jam's "Ten" to the Stone Roses' epochal debut album to Serge Gainsbourg's "Histoire de Melody Nelson" to three Isaac Hayes classics the entire Beatles catalogue. Although it is a singular treat to listen to the Beatles in Mono box on a good pair of headphones, my favorite reissue (of sorts) is Nirvana's "Live at Reading" CD/DVD pack. Any doubts about this band's potent live power, dimmed by the passage of time and the years of hyperbole, is rendered to dust - simply an amazing document of a band that was around for far too short a time.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Bog wrote:5 that I'm quite certain will rank near the top for me

Animal Collective- Merriweather Post Pavilion
Is that a live album at the Merriweather Post Pavillion venue in MD?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

You just reminded me of three albums I forgot to add to my list: Wolfgang Amadaeus Phoenix, Merriweather Post Pavillion, and Veckatimest.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

5 that I'm quite certain will rank near the top for me

Dirty Projectors- Bitte Orca
Animal Collective- Merriweather Post Pavilion
Grizzly Bear- Veckatimest
Passion Pit- Manners
Phoenix- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

And if I can add for a second year due to the Grammys distorted calendar...Kanye West
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Here's my list of favorite albums for 2009. It's subject to change as I finish up my required listening:

1. Passion Pit - Manners
2. P.O.S. - Never Better
3. Silversun Pickups - Swoon
4. The Dead Weather - Horehound
5. Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
6. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadaeus Phoenix
7. Them Crooked Vultures - Self titled
8. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Self titled
9. White Lies - To Lose My Life
10. DM Stith - Heavy Ghost
11. Band of Skulls - Baby Darling Doll Face Honey
12. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
13. Wild Light - Adult Nights
14. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
15. Mute Math - Armistice
16. AFI - Crash Love
17. Modest Mouse - No One's First and You're Next
18. The Whip - X Marks Destination
19. The Lonely Island - Incredibad
20. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
21. MF DOOM - Born Like This
22. Nirvana - Live at Reading
23. BLK JKS - After Robots
24. Arctic Monkeys - Humbug
25. Muse - The Resistance
26. Imogen Heap - Ellipse

Let's see what you got (have, recommend, ... you know what I meant).

Edited By Zahveed on 1261506752
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “Broadcast Media”