ATWT

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

For what it's worth, Roger Friedman wrote a piece claiming that Proctor & Gamble/Telenext is so determined to get out of the soap opera business that they deliberately sabotaged Guiding Light so that it would be cancelled...which leads one to think they're doing the same thing to ATWT, considering how awful it's been the past year. Why not just sell the programs to a different production company, like CBS itself (ABC owns all their soaps in-house)?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know if you guys really stopped watching or not, but after watching yesterday's episode, I must say that the show has finally gotten back to some solid stories again. Though, it seems like Dusty is the only Mean Nasty left in Oakdale...they've finally gotten Craig and Paul into a nice guy routine that I'm actually starting to like. So, what can/will they do?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I thought it was fairly certain Matt wasn't involved because that's what soaps do. They put you into believing its one person only to suddenly point to someone else...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

This murder mystery is pathetically bad. They want us to think that it's Matt when clearly, based on today's events, it's Mark.

But, a hottie alert: a set of twins, apparently named Zac and Zoë will turn up in April, with Zac forming a third wheel in a romantic triangle involving Luke and Noah, the first real gay romantic triangle on daytime. Brian Galbraith has been cast as Zac and hopefully will have to keep his shirt off as often as possible.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Spoiler:
At a birthday party for Casey, Luke's friend Reg collapses and later dies at the hospital. Bob tells Luke that it was an overdose...leading to suspicion that Reg was poisoned.

I'm very disappointed at this turn of events. I liked the character of Reg (actor Mark Sullivan is adorable), even though he appeared in only a handful of episodes, and was hoping TPTB would build him up as a potential third wheel in a romantic triangle with Luke and Noah. In fact, many fans were hoping for this. Another case of TPTB ignoring the fans.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

PGP Classic Soaps has the first pics of Eric William Morris's return to ATWT as Matt O'Connor (his first airdate is February 2); I just have to say that when I saw these pics I literally exploded like a 13 year old girl--I'm absolutely over the moon and stars about this actor--he's so amazingly talented and, to me, staggeringly beautiful. Pics are here; click on the pics to fully bask in the beauty that is EWM!

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

In case you're curious, Guiding Light has followed the lead of As the World Turns' Luke and Noah and All My Children's Bianca and Reese by featuring their own gay couple; well, potentially gay couple: Natalia and Olivia have been living together for several months, sharing responsibility for Olivia's daughter, but not realizing the underlying romantic tension in their relationship until today's episode, when Olivia kissed Natalia. AfterEllen has the clip.

There's some debate whether this is a serious effort to present a lesbian storyline or just an attempt to grab ratings: show producer Ellen Wheeler (a former actress who appeared on AMC and Another World) is a Mormon whose commitment to the storyline is questioned, while a CBS insider revealed that unless the show's basement-dwelling ratings improve by September, the 72 year old show will get the axe.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

A (possibly NSFW) comparison: the "first time" for various famous soap gay couples:

1. Craig and John-Paul, HollyOaks (U.K.)
2. Roman and Deniz, Alles Was Zählt (Germany)
3. Ollie and Christian, Verbotene Liebe (Germany)
4. Luke and Noah, As the World Turns (U.S.)

Video.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

AfterElton has an article about the boys doing the deed, and features a spoiler about their upcoming storyline: a murder mystery that not only involves Luke and Noah, but also Alison, Casey, Matt, Kevin and Reg.

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Daytime Confidential was not impressed:

What is it going to take for As the World Turns to use golden opportunities to promote what could be a nuclear explosion? Take for example today’s “OMFG Nuke finally had sex” moment. Why didn’t the PR department at As the Recasts Turn build up to it with a campaign that included the gay media, the soap media and/or heaven forbid the rough and tumble world of the blogosphere?

With its ratings sagging, As the World Turns does not have the luxury of putting on its scaredy pants to sit on its "morals". The P&G soap should be going all out to promote the one couple that could get it mainstream press, Nuke (Van Hansis and Jake Silbermann).

Nuke's sex scenes have been anticipated by fans for nearly two years (if not longer) and then to have a blink and you'll miss it" episode was beyond infuriating.

Why is it in a genre where people are murdered almost daily, women sleep with their husband’s brothers, or their granddaughter’s boyfriends, sperm is switched and stolen at a lightning fast pace and mobsters are promoted as heroes, gay couples such as As the World Turns' Nuke and All My Children’s Bianca and Reese are marginalized? Heaven forbid there be a lesbian couple on Guiding Light. Instead we watch Olivia and Natalia stare longingly at one another as if they want to jump each other's bones faster than they can whisper "L Word" in a hot-and-bothered gasp.

Maybe As the World Turns’ unwillingness to promote itself wouldn’t be such a big issue if 2008 wasn’t the year that might have been.

As the World Turns didn’t promote Nuke’s kiss in early 2008, choosing instead to let it slip by like a thief in the night. As the World Turns recast countless characters and got rid of countless more. The struggling soap didn’t capitalize on fan response to the May/December romance between Emily and Casey and instead decided to retell the stories of 2005 and 2006. As the World Turns also didn’t stick with what could have been its most explosive quadrangle of Lily, Holden, Carly and Jack.

Like today’s Nuke scenes, the rivalry between Carly and Lily had a minimal impact as they eventually made up over Cosmos. Meanwhile Casey is now falling for the sister/bio daughter of his one-time love Emily. This show just doesn't have rhyme or reason. Of course I probably shouldn’t be surprised. How can a show promote itself when it is afraid to go after new audiences, doesn’t have a clear identity of what it is or what it wants to be?

----

If you're curious, here's the relevant scenes from today's episode.

Edited By Penelope on 1231811422

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I gave up on this horrible show sometime around the storyline with Katie living in a hotel room after she had just gotten married to whatshisface (Mike? Matt?). I was watching for Luke and Noah (who were never on, btw) and just couldn't take it the way their story was being told. After an initial spike in ratings and popularity when they showed that very hot first kiss, I think the people in charge settled into a very uncomfortable and unrealistic way of depicting gay men. I could no longer support it which is why I tuned out. The show is pretty uniformly awful, too.

Edited By flipp525 on 1231792697
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Yes, they did. Woulda been nice to see them actually in the bed, but emerging from the shower with afterglow will suffice for the time being. Now, of course, one of them has to cheat on the other....

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Apparently Luke and Noah fucked today (caught a glimpse of it while at work), so the three or four people still watching can STFU about it already.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Maybe I missed the days of Dusty as a dick, but he has been on a raging asshole binge every since he's been back. I hate the new Maddy, I think she's an awful actress and don't care much for the new Lucy.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, you have to mix the good and the bad, I guess.

Matt returning is a welcome sign. Brad not leaving is not. That whole "did he or didn't he" murder plotline is beyond irritating at this point. They haven't yet revealed any motivation behind it, so this is a little maddening.

Alexandra Chando not returning as Maddie is disappointing. and I'm not surprised that Lucy and Johnny are coming back. Craig arrives today (I think).
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Broadcast Media”