Arrested Development

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Oh, Jason Bateman was absolutely robbed of three Emmys. In my book, Michael Cera has deserved to win every single year of the show's run as well.

I wasn't a big fan of the third season. It seemed to fall into self-parody, although admittedly it was consistently amusing. The whole Charlize Theron arc was insufferable to sit through in installments, but as a whole it's rather brilliant and while she herself was never a very good fit for the show, Jason Bateman did some of his most touching work as a man genuinely duped and still quite clearly depressed over the loss of his wife, which to me is oen of the most endearing aspects of the show. It never comes right out and says that Michael is an extremely depressed man and in many ways the most pathological member of the Bluth family.

I remain deeply angered that the show was allowed to end without any resolution to the fact that George-Michael and Maeby are still married and hope one day to hear news of a "Christmas Special" episode like on BBC'S 'The Office'.

Edited By Sabin on 1170044557
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Here are my top 10. Man is this tough.

1. Pilot (still perfection in every way)
2. Not Without My Daughter
3. Pier Pressure
4. Amigos!
5. Good Grief!
6. Bringing Up Buster
7. Motherboy XXX
8. Meat the Veals
9. The Cabin Show
10. Exit Strategy
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Portia de Rossi should've won in the first season. Tony Hale and Jessica Walter the second, Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat for the third. This show is definitely one of the greats.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sabin wrote:Jason Bateman's adolescent crush on Marta is worthy of Francois Truffaut or Louis Malle. The man was quite simply robbed for an Emmy.
Sabin, I agree wholeheartedly, but I think you misstate here. He was simply robbed of THREE Emmys, while David Cross, Michael Sera, Tony Hale, Jessica Walters, Alia Shakwat and Portia DeRossi were all robbed on AN Emmy. Poor Will Arnett and Jeffrey Tambor would have been also-rans.

I'll put together my top 10 episodes later, but I don't know if such a list is possible. It is hard to rank perfection:)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Greatest. Show. Ever.

1. 'Storming the Castle' (season 1)
2. 'Top Banana' (season 1)
3. 'Beef Consomme' (season 1)
4. 'Marta Complex' (season 1)
5. 'Key Decisions' (season 1)
(it should be noted that I'm a fiend for all the Marta episodes. Jason Bateman's adolescent crush on Marta is worthy of Francois Truffaut or Louis Malle. The man was quite simply robbed for an Emmy. My single favorite image of the entire show's run is Michael deciding not to be a nice guy after all and make a play for Marta...followed immediately by stealing a chair attached to his bike. Glorious. Anyway...)
6. 'Righteous Brothers' (season 2)
7. 'Good Grief!' (season 2)
8. 'The Cabin Show' (season 3)
9. 'Let 'Em Eat Cake' (season 1)
10. 'Sad Sack' (season 2)

Fare thee well...
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I finally worked my way through all three seasons of Arrested Development, I can only come to one conclusion: This show ended way too ####ing soon. It's the best thing that Ron Howard has ever involved himself in.

My Top 10 Best Episodes:

01. "Good Grief"
02. "Beef Consumme"
03. "Pier Pressure"
04. "Sad Sack"
05. "Development Arrested"
06. "Righteous Brothers"
07. "Mr. F"
08. "Pilot"
09. "Ready, Aim, Marry Me"
10. "For British Eyes Only"

Return to “Broadcast Media”