New Developments III

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:A new Pew poll puts Bush's approval at 29% (61% disapprove). Harris Interactive, CBS and Newsweek have previously put him below 30, but they are considered low-readers in general. Pew doesn't fall into that category, so this is a signal of even greater erosion.

I'm visiting my Mom in Connecticut. When the Supreme Court established Bush's coup d'état in 2000, my Mom put a black sash on her front porch, a mourning symbol which used to be employed by grieving families in the first part of the last century.

We were sitting on the porch this afternoon having gin and tonics, when one of my Mom's best friends dropped by. She is a wonderful woman, loving, caring, very active in charity work, but with the distressing chracater flaw that she is a Republican. She noted the black sash and said, "I'm going to get one for our house too. I hate that bastard." Then she smiled shyly and said, "Some of us are slow learners."

By the same token, it was fascinating how little the Repugnant candidates in the debate tonight wanted to be associated with Worst President Ever, a far cry from how the Democrats embraced Bill Clinton the other night.

{MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) - President Bush drew sporadic, startling criticism Tuesday night from Republican White House hopefuls unhappy with his handling of the Iraq war, his diplomatic style and his approach to immigration.

"I would certainly not send him to the United Nations" to represent the United States, said Tommy Thompson, the former Wisconsin governor and one-time member of Bush's Cabinet, midway through a spirited campaign debate.

Arizona Sen. John McCain criticized the administration for its handling of the Iraq War, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney said, "I think we were underprepared and underplanned for what came after we knocked down Saddam Hussein."

Rep. Duncan Hunter of California said the current administration "has the slows" when it comes to building a security fence along the border with Mexico.

Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado recalled that White House aide Karl Rove had once told him "never darken the door of the White House." The congressman said he'd tell George W. Bush the same thing.

The criticism of Bush was more in keeping of the type of rhetoric that could be expected when Democratic presidential contenders debate.

Its prominence at the GOP event - while Bush was traveling overseas - was a reflection of his poor poll ratings and the need of even members of his own party to campaign on platforms of change. . . .

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee added his voice to those criticizing the war effort. He added that the Bush administration "lost credibility" with its response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Thompson's answer was the most startling, coming from a man who had once served in the president's Cabinet as secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services.}
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A new Pew poll puts Bush's approval at 29% (61% disapprove). Harris Interactive, CBS and Newsweek have previously put him below 30, but they are considered low-readers in general. Pew doesn't fall into that category, so this is a signal of even greater erosion.

Something Democrats might recall next time there's a vote on Iraq funding.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

In this mysthical non-border state where you live you say you only heard people re a discussion on Canada( not that this happens very much--we don't care to most of the US) "complain" about the health system and "same-sex unions"( although he has admitted he is gay, but I guess he doesn't have many "unions")
First of all: Complain about the Canadian Health System? I have never heard any Canadians or many intelligent Americans " complain" about it ; if they are American they tend to wish they had our system in the US.

And I haven't any less reason to believe now that criddic is our chief hypocrite. Does he carry a banner for Gay Rights or he is in denial?
Aw shit, it's not worth trying to learn.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

criddic3 wrote:
We were Canadian, so by GWB definition "terr'ists."
-- cam
So, I guess that whole Freedom Fries debacle in DC was a figment of our imaginations. Good to know. I would hate to think anyone harbored ill feelings towards any other nationality...
-- Oscarguy

This was exactly my point. First of all, GWB never said anything about Canadians being terrorists that I recall. Second, the Freedom Fries thing is part of what I had in mind with reference to France at the time. I never heard anyone talk ill of Canada after 9/11 for terrorism. In fact the only things I've heard people complain about Canada are its Health Care and Same-sex Unions. Not terrorism. Then again, I don't live in a border state. I am from New York.
Wow...sarcasm is completely lost on you. The whole point was if the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT was going to be so ludicrous in its decision to rename French Fries (which originated in Belgium) to Freedom Fries as protest for the French objection to war in Iraq, then why wouldn't the rest of the country suffer a great deal of xenophobia after their homeland was attacked.

It doesn't matter WHERE you're from, a Xenophobe just needs an excuse to make his personal opinions about "foreigners" known and is thus given umbrage by those who are sheep and tend to follow the popular tend towards discrimination.

That our government can't adequately defend the rights and responsibilities of gay couples in their own country, I shouldn't be surprised that discrimination is so prevelant.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:Sure. why not? I live on an island called Long Island, and in this place I never heard anyone accuse Canadians of being "terrorists in hiding" as cam claims.

I've now diagnosed your mental health problem. It's pathological insularity.

Obviously, in your mind Long Island is to New York state as the U.S. is to the rest of the world.

But thanks for your permission.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

criddic, in case you didn't get the joke, part of upstate New York, including Buffalo, borders on Ontario.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Sure. why not? I live on an island called Long Island, and in this place I never heard anyone accuse Canadians of being "terrorists in hiding" as cam claims.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:Then again, I don't live in a border state. I am from New York.

Oh good lord...

Can I use this as my signature?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

We were Canadian, so by GWB definition "terr'ists."
-- cam
So, I guess that whole Freedom Fries debacle in DC was a figment of our imaginations. Good to know. I would hate to think anyone harbored ill feelings towards any other nationality...
-- Oscarguy

This was exactly my point. First of all, GWB never said anything about Canadians being terrorists that I recall. Second, the Freedom Fries thing is part of what I had in mind with reference to France at the time. I never heard anyone talk ill of Canada after 9/11 for terrorism. In fact the only things I've heard people complain about Canada are its Health Care and Same-sex Unions. Not terrorism. Then again, I don't live in a border state. I am from New York.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Good to see we're "winning" the "war on terror."

BBC NEWS
June 5th, 2007
Most of Baghdad 'not controlled'

US and Iraqi forces control fewer than one-third of Baghdad's neighbourhoods, according to a review of a security crackdown in the city since February.

An interim US military assessment says sectarian violence has diminished in some areas, but is particularly serious in Sunni-Shia areas of west Baghdad.

More than 20,000 US reinforcements are being deployed as part of the campaign.

Details of the report came as police said they had shot a suspected female suicide bomber in east Baghdad.

An interior ministry spokesman said the woman in traditional Muslim dress, walked towards a police recruiting centre and ignored calls to stop.

Three police recruits received minor wounds from the explosion. The woman died at the scene of the attack.

"Some elements of the mechanised brigade saw a suspicious woman and ordered her to stop, but she didn't respond and approached the recruits, so they opened fire on her and she exploded," a police spokesman said.

Although suicide bombings are a frequent occurrence in Iraq, female bombers are relatively rare.

'Iraqi failures'

A US military spokesman said it would not be possible to judge the success of the Baghdad security plan until all the extra units had been put in place.

"It's going to get harder before it gets easier," Lt-Col Christopher Garver said. "We know it's going to be a tough fight over the summer."

Details of the interim assessment included information that US and Iraq forces were in control of just 146 of Baghdad's 457 districts.

The report highlighted a failure of Iraqi police and army units to provide all the forces promised to carry out basic security tasks including manning checkpoints and conducting patrols.

May had the third highest death toll of American soldiers, 127, since the US-led invasion to overthrow the government of Saddam Hussein in March 2003.

Thousands of Iraqis have been killed since February.

Correspondents say there was a significant reduction in the number of sectarian killings early on in crackdown, but numbers have now risen again, with dozens of bodies being found in Baghdad almost every day.

President George W Bush won a tough battle with opposition-controlled Congress to fund the crackdown and is under pressure to show progress or start bringing troops home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6721689.stm
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I don't know, criddic, where you were or what you were doing at that time, SO LONG AGO , except drinking Bush beer (guaranteed to be very expensive, but you never get high, just bloated from trapped gas) .

Let me try to explain a few things to you to perhaps ponder when you start being stupid.

What I told you was true at the time. In Whatcom or Skagit countries, adjoining the main borders from Canada,ALL foreigners were "noticed", particularly if you were South or East Asian tourists or Chinese, or Middle Eastern.
And tell me why, for God's sakes , I would want to put up someone else's flag in my own house window? In the country? Where are lots of guns, as I told you. Initially, Canadians were thought to be hiding terrorists. Later, it was because our men were in Afghanistan and we could not afford a war on another. We were Canadian, so by GWB definition "terr'ists." Mix us up with France? Wha?

Let me repeat, reading your last missive , reaffirmed my belief that you have a very selective memory. But then --it's so HARD these days, pout, to try to keep up with trying to explain all the pratfalls of your buddies. Man!

I have said before: I do not understand why the board doesn't totally ignore you.

Why argue to try to explain reality to a young man who has an already closed mind? Such a shame, too; we must all remember to comfort him( whatever) when the GOP leaves on permanent vacation. Will his stripes change?
Do you want him on OUR side? One would only guess, but , even if you were on criddic's side, then we haven't heard a lot from you, as you are no doubt, embarrassed to be on His Side.
We'll keep your secret.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

cam wrote:criddic. You are as stupid as you are uninformed about "foreigners". You misunderstood, as usual, for your own purposes, how needlessly threatened Canadians were in 2001 to2004. It is as if WE were the enemy, because we did not support the ridiculous charade of war-mongering that you seem to defend.
Don't notice YOU going to war for your country as my father, both grandfaters, and three uncles did.
Possibly you are as chicken as you are stupid, or maybe you did not pass the intelligence test, or argued with your superiors. How glad I am that I don't know you personally. I can hardly with till 2008. Bye criddic.

Well you are right about one thing. I didn't volunteer to fight, which I do regret from time to time. But I do not recall any such talk against Canadians after 9/11. It doesn't make sense to me that anyone would. Maybe they mistook you for the French? But even that wouldn't make sense after 9/11. Maybe at the time of the run-up to the Iraq war or some other point in time when the French gov't was being run by the unfortunate Jacques Chirac. Still, what I took from the post was that the Canadians in your true-to-life story were being harrassed because they refused to put up American flags after 9/11. Or perhaps there is more to this story that wasn't told, like maybe some of their conversation was not very nice to America or something. See I don't know the other side of the story. Maybe they didn't care if these people were Canadian at all, but just didn't like them for some reason.

I can't wait till 2008 either. Whoever wins the election is gonna come out of a very tough year and a half. It will be thrilling to see what happens.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

criddic. You are as stupid as you are uninformed about "foreigners". You misunderstood, as usual, for your own purposes, how needlessly threatened Canadians were in 2001 to2004. It is as if WE were the enemy, because we did not support the ridiculous charade of war-mongering that you seem to defend.
Don't notice YOU going to war for your country as my father, both grandfaters, and three uncles did.
Possibly you are as chicken as you are stupid, or maybe you did not pass the intelligence test, or argued with your superiors. How glad I am that I don't know you personally. I can hardly with till 2008. Bye criddic.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>3,493</span>

BAGHDAD - Fourteen American soldiers were killed in three deadly days in Iraq, the U.S. military said Sunday, including four in a single roadside bombing and one who was struck by a suicide bomber while on a foot patrol southwest of the capital.

The blast that killed the four soldiers occurred Sunday as the troops were conducting a cordon and search operation northwest of the Iraqi capital, according to a statement. Two other soldiers from Multi-National Division — Baghdad were killed and five were wounded along with an Iraqi interpreter in two separate roadside bombings on Sunday, the military said.

One soldier was killed Friday after the patrol approached two suspicious men for questioning near a mosque, and one of the suspects blew himself up, according to a statement. The military did not provide more details.

Seven others troops were killed in a series of attacks across Iraq on Saturday.

The deaths raised to at least 3,493 members of the U.S. military who have died since the war started in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count.

---------------------------

And here's another example that this surge is making such "progress" (I'm still wondering what that "progress" is):

Some Army posts to end individual memorials
By Michelle Tan - Staff writer
Army Times
Posted : Saturday Jun 2, 2007 11:27:59 EDT

Soldiers from Fort Lewis, Wash., and Fort Drum, N.Y., who are killed in combat will be honored during monthly group memorials instead of individual services beginning in June.

At Fort Lewis, the decision was announced in a May 22 e-mail from Brig. Gen. William Troy, the acting commanding general of I Corps and Fort Lewis, to the command and staff on post, said Joe Piek, a Fort Lewis spokesman. The first group memorial is expected to take place the third week of June.

“As much as we would like to think otherwise, I am afraid that with the number of soldiers we now have in harm’s way, our losses will preclude us from continuing to do individual memorial ceremonies,” Troy wrote in his e-mail. “I see this as a way of sharing the heavy burdens our spouses and rear detachments bear, while giving our fallen warriors the respect they deserve. It will also give the families of the fallen the opportunity to bond with one another, as they see others who share their grief.”

Group memorial services already are taking place at other Army posts, Piek said.

Nineteen Fort Lewis soldiers were killed in Iraq in May, and the Fort Lewis community has lost nine soldiers in Operation Enduring Freedom and 117 soldiers in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Also, an Air Force master sergeant killed in Iraq was stationed at Fort Lewis.

More than 10,000 of the post’s 28,000 soldiers are deployed, including soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Division’s 3rd and 4th Stryker Brigade Combat Teams and more than 20 smaller units, Piek said.

The group memorials will be “a way for the greater Fort Lewis community to come together once a month to honor our fallen warriors,” Piek said.

Officials also are “doing this to help take some of the planning off of the shoulders of the rear detachment members” who also “have a significant other mission of continuing to train soldiers and taking care of soldiers’ families who are here on post,” he said.

Troy discussed having monthly memorial ceremonies with commanders overseas, rear detachment commanders and family readiness group leaders, Piek said.

Post officials have received “a couple of phone calls” from people who have expressed concern about eliminating individual memorial services, Piek said.

“The best way for us to look at this is the memorial service we do here at Fort Lewis is truly the public’s only opportunity to come together and remember our fallen soldiers,” Piek said.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Current Events”