The Democratic National Convention

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, another night of horrific Democratic disunity...

I know many here don't think Bill Clinton was left enough for them. He still remains, for me, easily the best president of my adult lifetime (I'm hoping he's surpassed in the next 8 years). And as a speaker...Wow. Last night it was like watching Fred Astaire come out of retirement to show how it's done -- an absolutely perfect and rousing endorsement of everything this campaign is about. Whatever messiness there was during the primaries, most Democrats' attitude now is (in Michael Crowley's phrase), Bill, we can't stay mad at you.

John Kerry, to the surprise of many, also did an exceptional job (though of course many networks didn't carry his speech, because it was more important to have talking heads explain what Democrats were doing wrong). And Biden Jr. and Sr. both acquitted themselves well.

So, tonight the Great Orator will have to step it up. Given that he's never failed to deliver in the past, I have little reason to doubt him.

Side note: Anyone remember that Focus on the Family guy who urged his congregation to pray for a rainstorm tonight in Denver? (Even many of them considered it un-Christian, and caused him to retract the request) Well, not a drop of rain in the forecast. But potentially serious rain is coming up to the Gulf of Mexico, raising the horrific prospect of a major hurricane hitting New Orleans opening day of the GOP convention. (kaytodd, are you evacuating?) While there'd obviously be some karmic justice in that -- and grisly PR benefit in reminding the world of GOP failure, as we pass the third anniversary of Katrina -- I have to genuinely pray that still-recovering beautiful city is spared such a fate.

Edited By Mister Tee on 1219948127
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The media outlets want drama. And, truth be told, they are either giving the Pubes ammunition, or they are aping Pube talking points. Case in point is an article I read this morning where Giuliani said that Hillary's speech would help out the Republicans simply because she didn't come out and say specifically that Obama was ready to be president.

And, really, I wish these pundits would stop their bellyaching over spilt milk and petty bickering, because A) it plays into Republican hands, B) it's just as petty to do what they're doing, C) news isn't sensationalism, that's the purview of the gossip shows.

It makes me think that, in order to increase their ratings, these media outlets are trying desperately to appeal to the gossip mongers who like to watch car crashes and pick apart celebrity dating rumors. Gone are the days of hard-hitting, REAL news. Here until corporations stop letting profit dictate programming are the gossip shows that pass themselves off as news programs.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:There was even some backtracking on the "Democratic civil war" media theme -- Andrea Mitchell, who's pumped that story for days, seemed to be declaring a miracle healing -- but don't expect the press to suddenly get a full clue. They're still going to push Dems-in-disarray for all its worth, and cite every stray poll that makes the race look closer than it is. It's still going to be a long ten weeks.
I had to turn off the TV in disgust this morning because on both CNN and MSNBC's Morning Joe the "pundits" were all about how Hilary didn't specifically praise Obama other than as the non-McCain or declare him ready to be president -- which is being awfully literal and obtuse and annoying and downright stupid.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I only caught Hillary's speech, but it was a great speech.

I don't know if any of the comedy stations picked up on it, but our favorite gaffe was as Hillary was talking about women not being paid as much as men and they cut to a thirty-something woman in the audience in Coco Chanel glasses...
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Because I was running around trying to do assorted things, I missed Schweitzer's speech. Hopefully C-SPAn will run it over the weekend. I know I've been impressed by him before, on Charlie Rose.

Comedy gold: pundits on the cable stations sitting around telling the Democrats they're not spending enough time making the negative case on McCain -- while, in the background, someone's giving a podium speech doing just that and being ignored by TV.

The Daily Show's best moment last night: "Michelle Obama had to prove she loves America because she's a Democrat. Everyone knows Republicans love America. They just hate half the people in it"

I thought the first half of Hillary's fateful speech last night was a bit too boiler-plate and a summary of her own campaign. But her second half was superb: "Were you in it for me or for (those people in need)?"; "...Twin Cities, because these days it's hard to tell them apart"; and the stirring evocation of Harriet Tubman (the perfect bridge between the competing identities of the Clinton and Obama campaigns). She's come a long way as a speaker.

There was even some backtracking on the "Democratic civil war" media theme -- Andrea Mitchell, who's pumped that story for days, seemed to be declaring a miracle healing -- but don't expect the press to suddenly get a full clue. They're still going to push Dems-in-disarray for all its worth, and cite every stray poll that makes the race look closer than it is. It's still going to be a long ten weeks.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I didn't catch too much of Schweitzer's speech. What little I saw seemed to be in the style of an evangelical minister.

I liked Hillary's "get over it" speech, but the best of the evening I thought was Mark Warner's keynote address.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Brian Schweitzer made himself a new Democratic star. He was great!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There were a lot of effective speeches tonight.

Gov. Schweitzer of Montana did a fantastic job whipping the crowd into a frenzy.

Hillary was fantastic and should have toplined the ticket, IMO.

Then there's Mark Warner. They really are using that keynote as a launching pad for prominent politicians. After that speech, I could easily see him becoming president in the future.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Yay for the multiple gay rights shout-outs so far this convention season.

Edited By flipp525 on 1219808648
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Canadians are affected by the vote in the US, and those of you who have not realized that, are wa-a-a-y behind.

We were IN IT tonight, before Hillary's speech, when we decided the colour she was going to wear of the four presented to us--orange: it is NOT power red, but it right next to it.

She supported Obama from the very first sentence, and although she did tout her own horn a bit, she was entitiled: when have Americans seen a woman AND a black American vie for the top spot anywhere, in any political race?

I was proud of her, and thought she did a great job of supporting the nominee.
Now let it work ,to quote from Macbeth.

Edited By cam on 1219808065
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Here's a video of Chris Matthews interviewing two PUMAs. Good Lord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVHZHuyVeio
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Tee is spot on about the PUMA girls. According to the bloggers -- not the mainstream media who want drama and turmoil for ratings -- there are only about 60 of these hysterical harpies hanging around, and few people (except for the networks) are paying them any heed. (And Little Billy Clinton is the most hysterical girl of them all.)

As a friend of mine pointed out, it's ironic that these gals are portraying themselves as feminists because they are exhibiting the kind of behavior that back in the 60s and 70s opponents of the Women's Movement claimed all women were guilty of and which, the argument meant, they weren't up to being equal to men -- namely, acting emotionally rather than rationally. (A further irony is that, as a woman who got where she was by standing by her man attaching herself to her hubby's coattails, Mrs. Clinton is hardly a feminist icon.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Penelope wrote:I'll definitely watch Obama's speech Friday night.

That may be a little boring, figuring that the speech is Thursday night:)
Good point, thanks! :p
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I got so sick of all the idiotic "pundits" (especially on CNN, which has essentially become worthless) and party partisans ofboth sides repeating Talking Points that I switched to C-Span and there I'l stand.

Even MSNBC has become stupid -- at one point, Chris Matthews took the brave stance that the South was wrong for fighting the Civil War to preserve slavery and (I kid you not) called upon Hollywod to stop making movies like Gone With The Wind and The Little Colonel which propegate the idea of thhe ante-bellum South as a chivalrous and noble society.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:Kennedy's speech was moving, but people are refraining from pointing out he's obviously lost a step or two -- that was not the rip-roaring Teddy I'm used to. I even had the sense he was communicating to delegates, Don't clap too long; I can't stand here forever. I really worry he's sicker than he's letting on.
You could see it on people's faces, especially Maria Shriver's. She had a hard time holding back the tears. It's very optimistic of him to expect to back in the Senate in January. Maybe he will, I hoe he will, but it's going to be tough.

I love his reported response to his wife and doctors when they urged him not to make the trip to Denver "You don't have to come if you don't want to." That was the old Teddy.

Return to “Current Events”