John McCain's VP Choice - Who do you think he will choose?

John McCain's VP Choice - Who do you think he will choose?

former Massachussetts Governor Mitt Romney
12%
former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee
No votes
former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani
12%
current Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman
No votes
current Florida Governor Charlie Crist
12%
current Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal
No votes
former Maryland Lt. Governor Michael Steele
No votes
current Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty
12%
current Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison
47%
other (specify)
6%

Total votes: 17

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I hesitate to add anything that may give credence to this argument, but what bothers certain people about the Obama/Wright connection that doesn't bother them about McCain's supporters is that Obama had a personal, long lasting relationship with Wright and is presumed to have had some knowledge of his positions on various subject matters while McCain (though it is no excuse) was not personally involved with the crackpots that support him.

I would hope, that whatever people's personal feelings may be about this business, that they look at the larger picture, ie.e the economy, the war and so on and not vote for President on the basis of such a peripheral issue.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

John Kerry may have meant something entirely different from what he said, and he may well have presented himself as the kind of person that he is not. But it would be very hard to tell that from the way he campaigned in 2004.

It is true that politicians will be haunted by what they say and do, no matter what context it is said in. However, the context is important. My problem with Obama, for instance, isn't just that he knows Jeremiah Wright or even that he went to that church (I'm not Sean Hannity, to remind you), but that he couldn't bring himself to acknowledge that what Wright had been saying had been wrong. The first reaction to the meida frenzy was "I can no more denounce him..." At first he didn't strongly denounce what Wright stood for, and he never explained how it was that in 20 years he never heard the reverend speak in that manner. John McCain's association with any televangelist is incidental, whereas Obama's is sought and long-lasting.

I give you the award for the most nonsensical and incoherent post of the year.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

John Kerry may have meant something entirely different from what he said, and he may well have presented himself as the kind of person that he is not. But it would be very hard to tell that from the way he campaigned in 2004.

It is true that politicians will be haunted by what they say and do, no matter what context it is said in. However, the context is important. My problem with Obama, for instance, isn't just that he knows Jeremiah Wright or even that he went to that church (I'm not Sean Hannity, to remind you), but that he couldn't bring himself to acknowledge that what Wright had been saying had been wrong. The first reaction to the meida frenzy was "I can no more denounce him..." At first he didn't strongly denounce what Wright stood for, and he never explained how it was that in 20 years he never heard the reverend speak in that manner. John McCain's association with any televangelist is incidental, whereas Obama's is sought and long-lasting.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Criddic, you and I know, based on your continuous flogging of the Republican talking points against John Kerry, that people don't get away from things. Even after Obama made a speech distancing himself from the ramblings of his pastor, it continued its media presence. The same thing, if the media actually cares about being fair, should follow McCain around. If not, it's a serious double standard. I don't think either person should be plagued by such rhetoric, but it has to be a "fair and balanced" slinging fo the mud, not lopsided.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Well, considering that John McCain has made a point of saying that it is Radical Islam we are fighting, I think his supporters would do well to understand the distinction. Remembering well that President Bush urged Americans not to admonish Muslim American people for the actions of the attackers on 9/11, it is important that conservatives not turn to bashing a religion like that.

I don't think McCain will be harmed by what some Televangelist says, but he should distance himself from any statement that seems to lump in all believers in the Islamic faith with those who want to destroy all other civilization.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

More of these nutters need to come out of the woodworks for McCain. It really helps his cause...especially if he doesn't denounce it. Now, let's see if the same people who picked up the story on Obama's pastor do the same with this guy.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

McCain's Spiritual Guide: Destroy Islam

Washington Dispatch: Televangelist Rod Parsley, a key McCain ally in Ohio, has called for eradicating the "false religion." Will the GOP presidential candidate renounce him?

By David Corn

March 12, 2008

Senator John McCain hailed as a spiritual adviser an Ohio megachurch pastor who has called upon Christians to wage a "war" against the "false religion" of Islam with the aim of destroying it.

On February 26, McCain appeared at a campaign rally in Cincinnati with the Reverend Rod Parsley of the World Harvest Church of Columbus, a supersize Pentecostal institution that features a 5,200-seat sanctuary, a television studio (where Parsley tapes a weekly show), and a 122,000-square-foot Ministry Activity Center. That day, a week before the Ohio primary, Parsley praised the Republican presidential front-runner as a "strong, true, consistent conservative." The endorsement was important for McCain, who at the time was trying to put an end to the lingering challenge from former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, a favorite among Christian evangelicals. A politically influential figure in Ohio, Parsley could also play a key role in McCain's effort to win this bellwether state in the general election. McCain, with Parsley by his side at the Cincinnati rally, called the evangelical minister a "spiritual guide."

The leader of a 12,000-member congregation, Parsley has written several books outlining his fundamentalist religious outlook, including the 2005 Silent No More. In this work, Parsley decries the "spiritual desperation" of the United States, and he blasts away at the usual suspects: activist judges, civil libertarians who advocate the separation of church and state, the homosexual "culture" ("homosexuals are anything but happy and carefree"), the "abortion industry," and the crass and profane entertainment industry. And Parsley targets another profound threat to the United States: the religion of Islam.

In a chapter titled "Islam: The Deception of Allah," Parsley warns there is a "war between Islam and Christian civilization." He continues:

I cannot tell you how important it is that we understand the true nature of Islam, that we see it for what it really is. In fact, I will tell you this: I do not believe our country can truly fulfill its divine purpose until we understand our historical conflict with Islam. I know that this statement sounds extreme, but I do not shrink from its implications. The fact is that America was founded, in part, with the intention of seeing this false religion destroyed, and I believe September 11, 2001, was a generational call to arms that we can no longer ignore.

Parsley is not shy about his desire to obliterate Islam. In Silent No More, he notes—approvingly—that Christopher Columbus shared the same goal: "It was to defeat Islam, among other dreams, that Christopher Columbus sailed to the New World in 1492…Columbus dreamed of defeating the armies of Islam with the armies of Europe made mighty by the wealth of the New World. It was this dream that, in part, began America." He urges his readers to realize that a confrontation between Christianity and Islam is unavoidable: "We find now we have no choice. The time has come." And he has bad news: "We may already be losing the battle. As I scan the world, I find that Islam is responsible for more pain, more bloodshed, and more devastation than nearly any other force on earth at this moment." . . .

http://www.motherjones.com/washing....de.html
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Dude, the last post about this was only 6 posts down from mine. And I am allowed to respond to the implication that I made it all up. So lighten up!

Besides, the Avenue Q thing came up out of the conversation anyway.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Dude, we're not talking about that anymore! We're talking about Avenue Q. We don't take your politics seriously because you can't follow a conversation. You're living in the past.
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

OscarGuy wrote:24-year-old man of Indian decent? What's his name? ;)
His name is Matthew. Anyway, it doesn't matter if you think he's imaginary. We are in the beginning stages of the relationship. It may lead to something serious and it may not, but he is not imaginary. I suppose you don't think I can attract a guy.

First some of you suggest that I'm a liar and a hypocrite. Then some of you suggest that I'm not even real, just made up out of someone else's warped imagination. Now, the relationships or sexual encounters that I have are not real. No wonder you people don't take my politics seriously. You have overactive imaginations and delusions that people like me don't exist. That's right: everyone out there is exactly like you and they share all of your opinions. Or, maybe not everyone. Just lunatics with imaginary friends.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I thought I was being funny.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:It's so funny that you mention this because it reminds of a conversation I was having on the phone with my girlfriend from Canada. You haven't met her. Want to see her photo? It's in my other wallet. I'm going to keep forgetting to bring it to show it to you, but when I do it'll be an anonymous glamour shot that could be anybody on the planet. But it will be my girlfriend from Canda whom you will never meet but totally exists.
You came up with this without ever having heard the Avenue Q song?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Oh.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote:There is a song called "My Girlfriend," which is the closeted gay republican talking all about the "girlfriend" he has who lives in Canada, who no one has met because every time she comes in town and gets deathly sick, so they just have sex in his apartment all day. She also "sucks like a hoover!"
That's from Avenue Q and the full title is "My Girlfriend Who Lives In Canada".
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Return to “Current Events”