Election '08

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If you can find the clip of the Skull and Bones society of Chris' grandfather's old private school, you'll like that one too.

Family Guy is what Simpsons was when it premiered. The anti-children's cartoon. There is no taboo topic...and they run it on broadcast tv...it's just too rich.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

That Family Guy clip is amazing. So much subversion in so little running time, lol. Love it!

I've got to start watching this show. Olberman highlighted it last week (he was a guest voice) and the mother was elected mayor because anytime she was asked a question on the campaign trail, she would simply answer "September 11th."

Boy, the people behind this show certainly have Bush's number.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Criddic, of course you do drugs. Your hero abused them for years, with impunity, and turned out to be President of the United States!

By the way, has anyone else seen this clip from Family Guy? It's maybe NSFW depending on your workplace, but apparently safe for broadcast. I don't know if it's a new episode or not but I saw it when it aired a few weeks ago. My girlfriend's & my jaws dropped at this sequence. (Damien, you've gotta watch this.)
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Quote (taki15 @ May 17 2007,02:08)
I want to meet your dealer.

Meet me behind the oak trees at three o'clock.

I tried to make another joke, or even mention criddic at all, but his posts are just devastatingly sad

-----
Yeah, I do a lot of drugs. Must be why I continue to talk to morons about politics.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

taki15 wrote:I want to meet your dealer.

Meet me behind the oak trees at three o'clock.

I tried to make another joke, or even mention criddic at all, but his posts are just devastatingly sad.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

taki15 wrote:I want to meet your dealer.
If this is what drugs do to people, just say no!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

While it is true that President Bush's ratings are low, much of it stems from the prolonged activity in Iraq. People have grown frustrated by the stalling of progress, which in 2005 seemed to point in the right direction with elections and so forth. There are some commanders saying that the surge, while not completely implented yet, has seen early signs of improvement in the relationship between Iraqis and coalition forces. The president has asked that people give the new plan a chance. Few have been willing to do so, and it may hurt our chances of success. Short of major success, improvements brought on by the surge may at the very least give us chance to reduce our presence in Iraq with some measure of good perceptions.

The 2006 turn-over in Congress badly hurt the president's ability to make complete his agenda in many areas. The perception that things are not going in the right direction is fueled by the loss. Meanwhile, the economy is doing well. Even those who are willing to acknowledge that don't see it helping President Bush at all. It didn't help Truman either.

The good news for the president is that he has the time to turn things around. The bad news is that there isn't much that he can do himself to make things turn his way. The best chance he has is the immigration reform bill. That still may happen. While he would get some boost from it, I personally doubt that that alone will save his standing in polls.

Sad as I am that the president has lost much support in such a short period of time, I am not as worried about his place in history. In time, I think he will be judged more fairly and may even place in a respectable spot on the list. Depending on how things go in Iraq and on some domestic issues in the next several months, he could also leave office with decent numbers. Polls are a reflection of emotional responses. They don't necessarily give us the right conclusions. If he gains in polls, surely I'll be happy. But his ultimate legacy doesn't depend on current polls.

Republicans are nervous because I think many of them like President Bush and wish they could embrace some of his policies. Fear of not being elected in the next elections has caused some of them to back away from him. Not all of the new presidential hopefuls have completely written him off, though. Mitt Romney praised No Child Left Behind, John McCain praised his "leadership" on immigration reform and Guiliani has offered the insight that we haven't been attacked again since 9/11 and gave some of the credit to Bush's policies. Several others have noted that Bush's tax cuts have been good for the economy. Despite these nods to the president, there has been a lot more criticism, particularly on the handling of the Iraq War. It remains to be seen if the articles being composed and posted here about Bush's lame-duck status are correct or off-the-mark. I would argue that his ability to sustain vetoes shows a remarkable advantage this late in the game. It is especially strong when you realize how little he has opted for this extraordinary presidential power.

I want to meet your dealer.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

While it is true that President Bush's ratings are low, much of it stems from the prolonged activity in Iraq. People have grown frustrated by the stalling of progress, which in 2005 seemed to point in the right direction with elections and so forth. There are some commanders saying that the surge, while not completely implented yet, has seen early signs of improvement in the relationship between Iraqis and coalition forces. The president has asked that people give the new plan a chance. Few have been willing to do so, and it may hurt our chances of success. Short of major success, improvements brought on by the surge may at the very least give us chance to reduce our presence in Iraq with some measure of good perceptions.

The 2006 turn-over in Congress badly hurt the president's ability to make complete his agenda in many areas. The perception that things are not going in the right direction is fueled by the loss. Meanwhile, the economy is doing well. Even those who are willing to acknowledge that don't see it helping President Bush at all. It didn't help Truman either.

The good news for the president is that he has the time to turn things around. The bad news is that there isn't much that he can do himself to make things turn his way. The best chance he has is the immigration reform bill. That still may happen. While he would get some boost from it, I personally doubt that that alone will save his standing in polls.

Sad as I am that the president has lost much support in such a short period of time, I am not as worried about his place in history. In time, I think he will be judged more fairly and may even place in a respectable spot on the list. Depending on how things go in Iraq and on some domestic issues in the next several months, he could also leave office with decent numbers. Polls are a reflection of emotional responses. They don't necessarily give us the right conclusions. If he gains in polls, surely I'll be happy. But his ultimate legacy doesn't depend on current polls.

Republicans are nervous because I think many of them like President Bush and wish they could embrace some of his policies. Fear of not being elected in the next elections has caused some of them to back away from him. Not all of the new presidential hopefuls have completely written him off, though. Mitt Romney praised No Child Left Behind, John McCain praised his "leadership" on immigration reform and Guiliani has offered the insight that we haven't been attacked again since 9/11 and gave some of the credit to Bush's policies. Several others have noted that Bush's tax cuts have been good for the economy. Despite these nods to the president, there has been a lot more criticism, particularly on the handling of the Iraq War. It remains to be seen if the articles being composed and posted here about Bush's lame-duck status are correct or off-the-mark. I would argue that his ability to sustain vetoes shows a remarkable advantage this late in the game. It is especially strong when you realize how little he has opted for this extraordinary presidential power.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

A delightful read:

From Bloomberg News:

REPUBLICANS SHAKEN BY BUSH PRESIDENCY
By Albert R. Hunt

May 14 (Bloomberg) -- There's a number that chills Republicans: 616. That's how many days remain in the Bush administration.

Private conversations with Republicans throughout America reveal doom and gloom about a politically paralyzed presidency and party. The on-the-record observations are almost as bleak.

``There's a lot of nervousness up here,'' says U.S. Representative Ray LaHood of Illinois. ``It's a very difficult time for Republicans.'' LaHood was one of 11 House Republicans who met with President George W. Bush this past week to tell him the party was in political peril.

``Unfortunately, the big issues will not be dealt with between now and the next election,'' says Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina.

``The country doesn't believe George W. Bush, it doesn't trust him, and with 19 months to go it's only going to get worse,'' predicts Ed Rollins, a Republican strategist who ran Ronald Reagan's 1984 presidential campaign. ``There is nothing the president can do to get his (poll) numbers back up.''

According to those polls, almost two-thirds of Americans disapprove of Bush's job performance; that is Richard Nixon territory. A majority of the public approved of the performance of the last two lame-duck presidents, Reagan and Bill Clinton, at this same stage in their administrations.

Daily Embarrassments

While the other major democracies have, or are about to have, new leaders, America is mired in a rudderless status quo. A new embarrassment or scandal -- Alberto Gonzales, Paul Wolfowitz, Karl Rove -- seems to surface daily; the only good news for the White House is that occasionally these stories overshadow the bad news coming out of Iraq.

Bush is reviled around much of the world, has precious little political capital at home, and seems surrounded by hacks or the forgettable and faceless.

Strikingly, perhaps the two most important members of the Cabinet -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson -- have little history with the president, and their greatest leverage is the havoc that would be wrought if they left. Each has served in the administration for less than a year.

For a year and a half, there have been various rationalizations for Bush's second-term presidential problems, and guarantees that a solution is at hand.

Josh Bolten, who replaced Andy Card as chief of staff, was supposed to refocus the administration; after Rove escaped the shadow of a special prosecutor, he and the president were going to be re-energized; when Don Rumsfeld, the face of the Iraq debacle, was fired, there was supposed to be a new start.

No More Fixes

Now, the dwindling band of Bush supporters have run out of fixes and are resigned to the contemporary assessments. Like Harry Truman, the patron saint of unpopular American politicians, Bush will be vindicated by history, they say.

An analogy to President Lyndon Johnson seems more apt, although with an exception: LBJ became a lame duck with less than 10 months to go in his term; Bush, the 43rd president, has almost twice as long to go.

This has enormous implications for foreign policy, domestic politics and the legislative agenda for the next year and a half.

Bill Cohen, a Republican who served as defense secretary under Clinton, thinks Bush blew what may have been his last opportunity by failing to embrace the bipartisan recommendations by the Jim Baker-Lee Hamilton-led Iraq Study Group to gradually disengage from Iraq.

Cohen, who travels the globe advising clients, says the president ``doesn't have much influence on anything,'' commanding little respect or fear around the world.

Dominant No More

That's why the notion that he may take military action against Iran -- for good or bad reasons -- is far-fetched. The American military, bogged down in Iraq, lacks the resources and the president lacks the credibility for such a huge step.

Politically, there is a telling indicator: Count the number of times any Republican presidential candidate cites Bush in speeches, debates or interviews. You will need only one hand, if that.

Recall a few years ago how this president was the dominant figure in his party.

According to last month's Bloomberg/Los Angeles Times national survey, Republicans by a 2-to-1 margin want the next president to move away from Bush's policies.

Evaporated Dreams

While the president can veto most initiatives of congressional Democrats, his once-ambitious second-term dreams of overhauling Social Security and the tax system and dealing with America's health-care crisis have evaporated.

The Bush administration will probably get a few relatively small trade deals on the Democrats' terms. These are desirable, though not exactly the stuff of legacies.

What is possible, if more challenging, is a deal on a medium-size energy-global warming package. The president would have to resolve major tensions within his own administration, with Paulson and Vice President Dick Cheney as the most likely adversaries. That's a skill that has eluded him in the past.

And it's his own party that stands in the way of an important achievement on reform of immigration, an area where the president has consistently been enlightened.

Congressional Democrats will pass an immigration bill if -- and this is a big if -- at least a third of Republican lawmakers support liberalized measures.

The risk is that this issue inflames the party's conservatives, who form the nucleus of Bush's dwindling support. The president may already be making too many concessions to the hardliners -- one White House proposal would make it harder for illegal immigrants to become citizens -- to produce a bipartisan immigration breakthrough.

Accordingly, Bush will probably spend much of the next year and a half sparring with critics, including a growing number in his own party, over an Iraq war policy that few believe will succeed.

A year ago, William F. Buckley Jr., the father of contemporary American conservatism, lamented that even if Bush had ``invented the Bill of Rights, it wouldn't get him out of his (Iraq) jam.''

That won't change over the next 616 days.

(Albert R. Hunt is the executive editor for Washington at Bloomberg News.)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

He is fringe because he can never be elected President.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I hasn't seen Saturday Night Live in maybe 2 years -- I even forget that it's still on -- but my beloved had it on tonight. There was a skit of a debate among "fringe" candidates for president -- hosted by Dan Rather, because oh how the mighty have fallen. So among a Nazi party member and a NAMBLA cndidate there was Dennis Kucinich. Now, we had a Republican debate where 3 people said they didn't believe in evolution and Sat Night Live decides Dennis Kucinich -- who four and five years ago was saying what everyone today is scrambling to say about Iraq -- is fringe, this advocate for peace, international unity, medical care for all Americans? He was on Bill Maher a couple weeks back -- a show SNL can only dreeam of being -- and he was one of the most straightforward, eloquent politicians I've ever seen. I was so furious I wrote an email to Lorne Michaels.

Once, Saturday Night Live was hip and subversive, not it's just another part of the problem, another cog in the right-wing media machine.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:Anyway, there's no harm in it. Your joke is still a joke and people can still laugh if they want to.
And you can still get wood from Worst President Ever.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

This is not the first time I've heard it. Sorry, but sometimes I just feel like responding. When people call me a liar, as in other threads, I cannot just stand by and not defend myself.

Anyway, there's no harm in it. Your joke is still a joke and people can still laugh if they want to.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I believe that a great many people share your sentiments,Wes. Nicely put.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It got your attention, didn't it? My point is that not everything is an attack on your sensibilities and that you really should just let go sometimes. Don't take the bait. We know what your views are and if you keep taking the bait or unnecessarily making a political point that isn't germaine to the subject, then you just add fuel to the fire.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Current Events”