"Most Likely Not Terrorism"

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Tee, I edited the title to "cover" your typo. Funny, though, I read it as "likely" even before I saw the text. If you hadn't commented I would never have caught it.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Obviously this story transformed after my initial post (and, of course, I meant the thread title to be "Most Likely..", not "Most Like.." -- is there some way to fix typos in thread titles, or are they forever?).

Lidle was of course quite new to the Yankees, and will mostly be remembered (by me) for finishing off the five game sweep at Fenway in August. By all accounts he was a well-liked guy. (And has anyone mentioned that, had the Yanks not been so unceremoniously bounced from the playoffs, there's no way he'd have been flying yesteday?)

You guys both make solid points. A friend of mine said the same yesterday, Magilla: what in the name of god are small planes doing flying through NY airspace? No hair gel on planes, but let anonymous pilots cruise by the Statue of Liberty?

As for the CNN transcript -- yikes!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

My first thought was, "Does the media think we're under attack by near-sighted terrorists?"

And how did U.S. Norther Command learn about this plane? Actual transcript from CNN:

"Kyra Phillips, CNN anchor: U.S. Northern Command, NORAD commander Adm. Timothy Keating made that call. He's on the line with us -- on the phone with us right now, actually.

"Admiral, thanks for calling in .Tell us why you made the call to scramble the jets.

"Adm. Tim Keating, commander, U.S. Northern Command: It was through open source reporting, Kyra, I had CNN on in our outer office, excuse me, and saw your initial report and immediately directed fighters airborne."

NORAD LEARNED ABOUT THE PLANE CRASH FROM CNN!!

If they had The History Channel on, they wouldn't have responed.

And we're expected to believe this nation is adequately protected from terrorists?

We're doomed. Nice knowing all of you.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

We now know that the plane was piloted by New York Yankees pictcher Cory Lidle (suicidal after the Yankees humiliating defeat in a game in which he was a relief pitcher?)

What I find disturbing about this is that it is, according to CNN's Myles O'Brien, not uncommon for small planes and helicopters fly past windows of apartments in high rises in Manhattan. Emergency helicopters, even news helicopters I can see, but small commercial planes?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

For those not near a TV:

A small plane crashed into a building on NY's Upper East Side this afternoon -- 72nd & York.

All indications are it's an accident, not terrorism...but cable news is doing its standard freak-out.

My wife was literally on that block two days ago getting a sonogram at a hospital. She says there's nothing remotely target-like in the area.

Return to “Current Events”