The Dark Knight

VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Now that there are plans to re-release it in the theaters in January 2009, there's a higher chance that it could get nominated for Best Picture, as does Ledger for Supporting Actor.

Must be GREAT news for most of you.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Zahveed wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:i also agree with moviewes (who should probably be hired by the nolan brothers to help them write the damn thing) that the penguin should be just a business man who steps in after the mob power has been destroyed. we already know philip seymour hoffman can play evil well as he did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3. he could be supplying all the money and weapons the riddler needs to take down batman.

Not to be a jackass, I am usually a little more modest about things, but I did make this point prior to MovieWes's post.
sorry zahveed. you deserve the credit.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:If people is getting tired of Depp, well, Blanchet might suffer from the same thing.
I was tired of her after her first Elizabeth film...does that count?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

flipp525 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Blanchett has only one set of blockbusters to her name

Not true. Besides LOTR, she also starred in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, a blockbuster.
Damn. I was trying to forget that movie existed. Thanks for reminding me.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:Blanchett has only one set of blockbusters to her name

Not true. Besides LOTR, she also starred in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, a blockbuster.

Edited By flipp525 on 1221061474
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I love Blanchett and consider her one of this generation's finest actresses and think she could bring a lot to the role. However, she is getting a bit over exposed and I'll be happy if she can return to one or two films every few years to downplay her celebrity.

But, Depp takes the overexposure cake. Blanchett has only one set of blockbusters to her name and it was her that made them a success. Whereas Depp was the driving factor of Pirates' success, but his attachment to Sweeney Todd, a part entirely wrong for him, was what pushed me over the edge of disliking the guy being in everything.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

jack wrote:But, no, in all honesty I think Cate Blanchett would be fantastic.
If people is getting tired of Depp, well, Blanchet might suffer from the same thing. I mean, she has been a little too overexposed in recent years, and that's not a good thing. Jude Law, Depp and some other actors have been hurted by overexposure and this might be valid for Blanchet too. Don't get me wrong, I love the woman, enough to watch Elizabeth: The Golden Age in its whole...

The image of an elder Catwoman, a Catwoman in misery/decadence, in her last days, but still charming, still with power, somehow still sexy played by Cher, stuck on me when the rumour started. That kind of story might work, and Cher would have been an interesting choice...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

rolotomasi99 wrote:i still think catwoman could work, but i think they need to go as far away from the sexy michelle pfeiffer model as possible.
How about Dame Judi Dench?
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Cinemanolis wrote:
Okri wrote:He was also the original Katurian in The Pillowman (the Billy Crudup role on Broadway). Not that I've seen it, but it's one of my favourite plays ever and anyone involved automatically gets some points of affection from me. And I love the new Doctor Who, even if I'm so far behind.

I saw it and he was wonderful. Jim Broadbent and Adam Goodley also stared. One of my favourite plays as well.
Adam Godley is another performer who I have residual affection for his theatre performances that I haven't seen (the other performance would be from Howard Brenton's Paul).

I'm really over Depp, at this point, though.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Damien wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:i still think catwoman could work, but i think they need to go as far away from the sexy michelle pfeiffer model as possible. they could have catwoman be more of someone from the lower end of gotham (the anithesis of bruce wayne) who takes up the fallen mantle of gotham's hero. she could be going after batman like any other criminal, and this would preserve the conflicted anti-hero nature of catwoman. a very unglamorous michelle rodriguez would be a perfect fit for this tough butt kicking catwoman rather than a sexy butt kicking catwoman. no high heels on the catsuit, please.

Kathy Bates? Linda Hunt? Barbra Streisand? Lily Taylor? Kate Winslet?

I'm thinking Miriam Margolyes.

But, no, in all honesty I think Cate Blanchett would be fantastic.

Edited By jack on 1221009484
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damien wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:i still think catwoman could work, but i think they need to go as far away from the sexy michelle pfeiffer model as possible. they could have catwoman be more of someone from the lower end of gotham (the anithesis of bruce wayne) who takes up the fallen mantle of gotham's hero. she could be going after batman like any other criminal, and this would preserve the conflicted anti-hero nature of catwoman. a very unglamorous michelle rodriguez would be a perfect fit for this tough butt kicking catwoman rather than a sexy butt kicking catwoman. no high heels on the catsuit, please.

Clearly, Hilary Swank would be required. But she'd probably be even worse than Halle Berry.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

rolotomasi99 wrote:i also agree with moviewes (who should probably be hired by the nolan brothers to help them write the damn thing) that the penguin should be just a business man who steps in after the mob power has been destroyed. we already know philip seymour hoffman can play evil well as he did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3. he could be supplying all the money and weapons the riddler needs to take down batman.
Not to be a jackass, I am usually a little more modest about things, but I did make this point prior to MovieWes's post.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

i wanted to get in on this fantasy casting session for the next batman film.

while i would love to see david tennant play the riddler, his version would most likely be similar to the more accepted portrayal of the riddler in previous films and cartoon versions.

i am not sure how he has been portrayed in the comics; but if nolan is going to continue in his darker path for the batman universe, then the riddler is going to take on a totally different form.

in that case, i think an actor like johnny depp could pull off the role nicely. while i may have disagreed with his oscar nomination, i think depp's sweeney todd was an excellent villain. someone you could be disgusted with and yet still feel he could/should be saved somehow.

i agree with moviewes that the riddler should resemble a cross between the jigsaw killer and hannibal lecter. someone whose intense brilliance has pushed him to the same conclusion leopold and loeb came to: their intelligence gives them every right to kill.

in terms of appearance, though, i think depp should have the look of deniro's travis bickle as the whore-saving anti-hero. depp could be well muscled, with a shaved head, and a seriously tatooed body with zodiac-esque symbols and cryptography. you get a tiny taste of that with this fan-made poster.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008....-poster

i also agree with moviewes (who should probably be hired by the nolan brothers to help them write the damn thing) that the penguin should be just a business man who steps in after the mob power has been destroyed. we already know philip seymour hoffman can play evil well as he did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3. he could be supplying all the money and weapons the riddler needs to take down batman.

i still think catwoman could work, but i think they need to go as far away from the sexy michelle pfeiffer model as possible. they could have catwoman be more of someone from the lower end of gotham (the anithesis of bruce wayne) who takes up the fallen mantle of gotham's hero. she could be going after batman like any other criminal, and this would preserve the conflicted anti-hero nature of catwoman. a very unglamorous michelle rodriguez would be a perfect fit for this tough butt kicking catwoman rather than a sexy butt kicking catwoman. no high heels on the catsuit, please.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1220986548
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “2008”