Mystic River
25%
Seabiscuit
4%

Total votes: 56

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

You wouldn't say that about Toy Story 2? I thought Woody's comment ("it'll be fun while it lasts) followed by the penguin singing "You'll Have a Friend in Me" was terrifically moving.

I've never understood how Monsters Inc gets raved like it does. I'm tempted to blame Shrek and the decision to correct the balance of the universe.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Here's the problem with 'Finding Nemo': it's narrative is so ridiculously lop-sided. The scenes at the dentist's office don't begin to compare to the scenes in the ocean. The movie itself has moments of wonderment and beauty. That being said, I think 'Finding Nemo' deserved a Best Picture nomination. In one of the hugest summers of the decade, the audiences chose and embraced this lovely little movie. Were that ghettoizing Animated Feature category not in place, I think 'Finding Nemo' would've had a better chance. I have to believe that Academy voters responded more strongly to 'Finding Nemo' than 'Master & Commander'. I have to believe that. I love 'M&C' but clearly there is love on this planet for 'Finding Nemo' that went unrealized because of that category.

I also have to believe that 'The Incredibles' would've done better too.

'FINDING NEMO' SPOILERS (can't believe I just wrote that).

Pretty much every PIXAR movie (except 'A Bug's Life', 'Toy Story 2', 'Ratatouille', and 'Cars') has a parting shot that leaves you unbelievably warm and happy with the planet.

In 'Toy Story'...the puppy. I haven't heard an audience laugh out loud like that at the same time before credits.

In 'The Incredibles'...the FF-inspired Mole Man attack.

In 'Monsters, Inc.'...Sully walking through the door and smiling that warm, joyous smile (BTW - never in my life have I seen a movie that made me shit a flying puppy that leaves a rainbow trail of magic and dreams behind it quite like that one. The ending to 'Monsters, Inc.' makes the world a better place.)

In 'Finding Nemo'..."I love you, Daddy." First L-word in the film. Wonderful moment. Smart people, them PIXAR folk.
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

atomicage wrote:Finding Nemo! Why is it not on this list? :p

Because it's a pretty looking bore that doesn't come close to Pixar's best outings -- Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., and Ratatouille

Edited By Akash on 1196746500
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Finding Nemo! Why is it not on this list? :p

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, hands-down. But then again, I have not seen Mystic River, so such a statement isn't all that fair, I think. Seabiscuit surprised me, especially with Big Fish, Cold Mountain, and Dirty Pretty Things waiting in the wings.
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

Master and Commander. I think Peter Weir is one of the most well-tempered directors working today.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I'd split my ballot -- giving Picture to the devastating Mystic River, while honoring Jackson for his gargantuan achievement on Rings. Eastwood's tragedy has more weight, but I had no problem cheering for the Rings team's sweep.

Lost in Translation is a rather lovely little movie. For something so slight it's awfully hard to shake, though I still think it's pretty minor in comparison to those two giants.

Master and Commander is long. REALLY long. And it's the most baffling Best Picture nominee this decade -- who really loved this thing?

Seabiscuit is horse puckey. Cold Mountain didn't stun, but it would have been an infinitely better choice.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I also liked Big Fish and hated -- HATED -- Seabiscuit. I'm fine with any of the other other four, but Return of the King is not as good as Lost in Translation or Mystic River. The Two Towers would have been the most deserving film in the trilogy to reward with a Best Picture Oscar.
Archie Leach
Graduate

Post by Archie Leach »

All of them apart from Seabiscuit were deserving. I voted for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

criddic3 wrote:Mystic River was impressive. One of Eastwood's best.

Number two for me would be Lost in Translation.

Return of the King capped a marvelous trilogy, but I think it's 11 wins was overkill.

My awards were rounded out by Big Fish, which failed to get Tim Burton a directing nod, and Open Range, which was unfairly overlooked by Oscar in all categories.

I enjoyed Seabiscuit, but didn't nominate it for best picture.
It was a big disappointment to see Big Fish out of the nominees.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Not really sure. I don't care for 'Seabiscuit', but the other four are worthy nominees. I'm going to say 'Master and Commander', which is more rewatchable than I would ever have guessed.

I still would probably still side with 'Master & Commander' over 'Lost in Translation', even though a win for either would make me very happy. 'Mystic River' hasn't aged terribly well upon my most recent viewing but I still found it a very compelling viewing experience. 'Return of the King' is rather exhausting for half of its stretch and yet still fairly watchable. 'Seabiscuit' is just a dull experience.

1. 'Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World'
2. 'Lost in Translation'
3. 'Mystic River'
4. 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King'
5. 'Seabiscuit'

Edited By Sabin on 1187072902
"How's the despair?"
Bruce_Lavigne
Graduate

Post by Bruce_Lavigne »

Return of the King, both for the trilogy as a whole and for its being on its own my pick for the best film of '03.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Return of the King as recognition for the trilogy (though Fellowship should NOT have lost to that dreck I won't even name), with The Fog of War a close second, followed by Lost in Translation.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Mystic River was impressive. One of Eastwood's best.

Number two for me would be Lost in Translation.

Return of the King capped a marvelous trilogy, but I think it's 11 wins was overkill.

My awards were rounded out by Big Fish, which failed to get Tim Burton a directing nod, and Open Range, which was unfairly overlooked by Oscar in all categories.

I enjoyed Seabiscuit, but didn't nominate it for best picture.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Mystic River comes in second for still being Clint Eastwood's best film of the last few years.

Return to “The 8th Decade”