EW's 50 Best Teen Films

rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

reminds me of a recent S.F. Chronicle article that reminded me why I'm glad I usually don't pay any attention to that rag anymore:

Reading this can only make you stupider.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Chinatown
Sunset Boulevard
L.A. Confidential
The Player
In a Lonely Place
The Cat's Meow
The Long Goodbye
Mulholland Drive
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Hmm....
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:Well, Damien, did you see their recent online list of "Our Favorite Film Noir": only two (1950's Sunset Blvd and In a Lonely Place) of the 9 films listed was released prior to 1973.
Wow. REAL film noir was pretty much over by the late 50s.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, Damien, did you see their recent online list of "Our Favorite Film Noir": only two (1950's Sunset Blvd and In a Lonely Place) of the 9 films listed was released prior to 1973.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Well, they don't according to Entertainment Weekly. It's a big, fat grain of salt situation.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Apparently teenagers didn't exist prior to 1955. Where are the films for the teens of the 20s, 30s and 40s? A Date With Judy, Love Finds Andy Hardy, Seventeen and Are These Our Parents? come immediately to mind.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm sure at the time 'The Breakfast Club' must have at least seemed revolutionary, a 'Diner' for the teen crowd. I happened upon the film two years ago, admittedly way, way, WAY too late to be seeing the film for the first time, and I found the characterizations and revelations thin, and their angst more than a little shrill. SAD LITTLE WHITE BOY! SAD LITTLE WHITE GIRL! And by the film's end, I was more than ready to never see any of them again for the rest of my life and with small exception I'm thrilled to be right.

'Rebel Without a Cause' is outstanding in its exploration of teen angst, if only because it doesn't wear its angst on its sleeve like Hughes' film.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Actually, the title of this topic is misrepresenting. The list is The 50 Best High School Movies, not teen movies. Not that it makes the list any better, but it shows why certain films, which may be teen films but don't deal with High School, are not on the list.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

In terms of quality, I'm sure The Breakfast Club doesn't rate as one of the top films. However, you cannot deny the power of celebrity. The Breakfast Club, for most anyone who would be reading or making that list (mostly twenty and thirtysomethings), is the quintessential teen drama. It so simply captures what it was like to be a youngster in the '80s. Sure Rebel Without a Cause is a great movie but The Breakfast Club explores teen angst far better, which is why I'm sure it tops the list. Matter of fact, I think Breakfast Club belongs on the top of this list because even if it's not the "best movie" ever, it is the most teen-oriented, succinct and appropriate choice they could have made.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

They also neglected foreign teen films like Wild Reeds, Y Tu Mama Tambien and The 400 Blows.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I think EW's lists are even dumber than AFI's.

I'm not even sure what The Last Picture Show is doing on this list. It's an amazing film, and yes, many of the characters are teenagers, but...well, it doesn't deserve to be lumped with the rest of these. Plus, it's not like teenagers today even watch it anymore.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is another one of those, "well, I GUESS it's a teen film, but..." movies. Plus, Azkaban is clearly superior.

I also hate it when movies that JUST came out appear on these things. Brick came out, like, two days ago, and it's already worthy of canonization?

That said, I'll be slightly hypocritical and say that the recent Thirteen is better than most of these.

But so is Kidz. And Blackboard Jungle. And West Side Story's about teens, right? Hey, if thirtysomething Stockard Channing in Grease counts . . .
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

The fact that "The Breakfast Club" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" are listed ahead of classics such as "Rebel Without a Cause," "The Last Picture Show," and "American Graffiti" makes this list automatically devoid of credibility.

Also, only an idiot would place "American Pie" ahead of "Rushmore."
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The List
45. My Bodyguard
44. Can't Hardly Wait
43. Stand and Deliver
42. Fame
41. Can't Buy Me Love
40. Risky Business
39. The Virgin Suicides
38. Bye Bye Birdie