Guild Predix - the other big three

1998 through 2007
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:The inappropriate and highly off-topic part of this thread has been moved. You know where you can find it if you think about it. But, suffice it to say, rolo's answer is posted elsewhere.
eric started it!!!!! :D
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The inappropriate and highly off-topic part of this thread has been moved. You know where you can find it if you think about it. But, suffice it to say, rolo's answer is posted elsewhere.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I agree, flipp, the reunion was the one scene where I wanted see some kind of lovemaking; it didn't have to be Lust, Caution, but surely some writhing under the sheets woulda been nice.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

[WARNING: GAY SEX TALK MAY ENSUE] I didn't think we were going to be shown actual penetration, but the sex could definitely have been a bit more graphic (I mean compare Heath and Ennis' sex scene to the ones in Lust, Caution just for fun). At the end of the day though, I have to give credit to Ang Lee. He knew how important this film could potentially be, and in order for it to have any chance of crossover appeal and commercial success, this was one of the aspects that had to be toned down. That's just the world we live in. Even though we know that gay men have lots of sex and it's oftentimes hardcore. I wasn't expecting full-out Brian Kinney style, Queer as Folk fucking, but a bit more would've been nice. Especially that reunion scene. After 4-5 years apart, that sex was going to be loud and incredibly hot, yet I think all we saw was their passionate kiss and then the afterglow.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Eric wrote:It wasn't that explicit, and neither show us todger, so they're at a draw. I guess I don't really know what your point is at this point, as what I said was clearly meant as a joke.
yeah, i know. your comment just let me segue into the phenomenon of how many gay people really disliked that movie. at least with the gay college students i was around, it became uncool to say you enjoyed BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. none of it had to do with the quality of the film, but just because straight people liked it so much and there was not enough sex.

you will probably think i am a complete idiot for asking this, but what the heck is "todger"?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

It wasn't that explicit, and neither show us todger, so they're at a draw. I guess I don't really know what your point is at this point, as what I said was clearly meant as a joke.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

rolotomasi99 wrote:by "actual sex" i assume you mean anal,
Ah but that begs the question, what counts as "actual" sex? Which is a can of worms I'm sure certain people on this board don't want to open.

So naturally-- being one of the board's best can openers -- I did it.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Eric wrote:Two of my very favorite films "about" homosexuality in recent years -- Tropical Malady and Bad Education -- both feature less actual sex than Brokeback.
by "actual sex" i assume you mean anal, because i remember a quite graphic oral sex scene between gael garcia bernal and another guy (which reportedly is why it was nc-17).
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I was referring only to Brokeback, and not to any of the films it was in competition with for best picture. And I don't fault the film for not having enough gay sex in it. Two of my very favorite films "about" homosexuality in recent years -- Tropical Malady and Bad Education -- both feature less actual sex than Brokeback.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

rolotomasi99 wrote:i was saying the gays did not like BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN not because they thought it was a bad movie, but because it did not have enough gay sex.
I'm pretty sure Eric thinks the same thing. And, truth be told, I do think it is one of the film's minor flaws.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Bog wrote:wait wait wait...Eric hated Crash, he just didn't think Brokeback was all that revelatory, hence gay men in your example having the better taste not voting for Brokeback
um, o.k.

i was saying the gays did not like BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN not because they thought it was a bad movie, but because it did not have enough gay sex. it was more about longing and pent up passion and heartbreak, which is why straight women loved it...they eat that shit up.
i said those gays then voted for CRASH, and eric said that was because they have good taste. maybe he did not intend to be praising CRASH, but you cannot fault me for being confused.
i find it hard to believe the gays threw their weight behind CAPOTE, aka the eunuch.
they probably all voted for CRASH because of the hot guys: philippe, fraser, dillon, howard vs gyllenhaal and ledger in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

It also helps that the producers of The Diving Bell and The Butterfly are American and former Oscar nominees (Kathleen Kennedy and Jon Kilik).
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

anonymous wrote:Animated films are ineligible in the WGA Awards so you should take out Ratatouille from your predictions.
er of Fleet Street[/i]

And the PGA has a separate Animated category.

PGA:

The Bourne Ultimatum
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men

The PGA aren't the box office whores that I always thought they were, not in recent years anyway. But I think they will slip 'Bourne' in.
They went for both Life Is Beautiful and 'Crouching Tiger' so if The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is truly going to score a BP nomination then it will place here.
With Juno's successful opening I think it will easily be one of the five, like Little Miss Sunshine last year which ended up winning.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

wait wait wait...Eric hated Crash, he just didn't think Brokeback was all that revelatory, hence gay men in your example having the better taste not voting for Brokeback
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

anonymous wrote:Animated films are ineligible in the WGA Awards so you should take out Ratatouille from your predictions.
f.y.i. moviewes

Return to “The 8th Decade”